Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on January 10, 2021, 09:11:19 AM
Who or what is Roger Stone?

Somebody who's sniffed Mitt Romney's crotch, apparently.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on January 10, 2021, 09:11:19 AM
Who or what is Roger Stone?

One of Trump's minions who was convicted and then pardoned by Trump.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Why would the majority of congressional and state republicans throw the baby* out with the bathwater**?

Trumpism is a force for good***

* Trumpism
** Donald Trump
*** For the boosting electoral success of what now passes for the republican party.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2021, 11:17:48 AM
Why would the majority of congressional and state republicans throw the baby* out with the bathwater**?

* Trumpism
** Donald Trump
*** For the boosting electoral success of what now passes for the republican party.

Well,  Trumpism nearly killed them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2021, 11:44:01 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2021, 11:17:48 AM

* Trumpism
** Donald Trump

Well,  Trumpism nearly killed them.

But it also almost kept them in power, and could have killed their enemies.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Oexmelin

How many of you have contacted your Senators, and members of Congress? It's the bare minimum right now. The fascists are making themselves heard, I guarantee that.

The Minsky Moment

My member of Congress was the guy who wanted Pelosi to refuse to seat the new GOP members of Congress who supported Trump's fraud claims on the ground of sedition *before* the attack on the Capitol.

This was his latest:
QuoteOn Wednesday, our United States Capitol was attacked by a mob of rightwing terrorists. As Republicans inside the chamber sought to tear down our democracy, the violent extremists they whipped up outside tried the very same. This attempted coup is treasonous. Horrifically, it was incited directly by Donald Trump and many of my colleagues across the aisle. The traitors who stormed our nation's Capitol and the politicians who cheered them must forever be branded as seditionists.

For months, I have called for the prosecution of Donald Trump and members of his administration for their innumerable crimes against the United States. Throughout his presidency, he endangered our national security. He ripped families apart. He personally profited from his office. He attacked our elections and sought to destroy democracy. Now, he has incited violent insurrection against the People's House. He has engaged in treachery, in treason. He has all but given up on governing and protecting our nation and if he had a shred of dignity he would resign today.

Violent fascism at the footsteps of our national legislature was fed by Republicans and years of fomenting extremism against our government. They built this. This authoritarianism will not disappear in 12 days. The long-term preservation of democracy is in our hands right now. It is the challenge of our time to eradicate this poison.

The day he is no longer in office Donald Trump and his adjutants must be fully investigated by the Department of Justice. Donald Trump along with his worst enablers must be tried for their crimes against our nation and Constitution. Importantly, any further abuse of the sacred pardon power to shield criminals would itself be obstruction of justice, and any self-pardons would be illegal. We cannot repeat the mistakes of our nation's past by granting amnesty under the illusion of unity. Failure to hold Donald Trump's crimes accountable will only further embolden criminality and continue America down the path of lawlessness and authoritarianism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2021, 12:57:54 AM
So they keep their heads down, waffle a bit, hope it goes away, that the pendulum will swing back at some point, and that they can still use their dogwhistles a little louder in the future.

Yeah I think they think if they can just hold on things will settle down.

They better pray for some kind of economic miracle if they want that to happen. Only bread and circuses will make release the pressure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 10, 2021, 12:29:53 PM
How many of you have contacted your Senators, and members of Congress? It's the bare minimum right now. The fascists are making themselves heard, I guarantee that.

Ted Cruz and John Carter voted not to certify. I guess I will let them know I think they suck.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 10, 2021, 12:39:57 PM
My member of Congress was the guy who wanted Pelosi to refuse to seat the new GOP members of Congress who supported Trump's fraud claims on the ground of sedition *before* the attack on the Capitol.

You should still call to voice your support. Pressure needs to be applied not only to the Republicans who have not yet committed to treason, but to the "heal and move on" crowd amidst the Democrats.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q1jqbJM2v4

Corporations stop donations to those who objected to certification.

Lack of money could change the Republican party.

The Larch

Do you think Trump going 3rd party at some point is a real possibility? That'd really split the GOP and force them to evolve.

Sheilbh

Also the comment by Forbes that they'll treat statements by companies who hire senior Trump alumni like Sean Spicer or Conway the way they'd treat statements by the Trump administration (i.e. fact-check everything) which may have an impact on private sector opportunities for ex Trump staffers. I think that could change incentives/behaviour too - if working for Trump isn't just like working for any other administration.
Let's bomb Russia!