News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Humankind - the Civ killer?

Started by Syt, February 06, 2020, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Sure, but it's not a distinction in modern usage of those words.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2020, 05:00:06 AM
Sure, but it's not a distinction in modern usage of those words.

I'm only pointing out that these developers, trying to create some kind of historical accuracy, have made an inexcusable mistake.

Your defense of sloppy modern day word use is worrying but I won't argue against it. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on July 13, 2020, 06:30:33 AM
I'm only pointing out that these developers, trying to create some kind of historical accuracy, have made an inexcusable mistake.

Your defense of sloppy modern day word use is worrying but I won't argue against it. :P
:lol: I suppose my point is being understood is more important than being right and I think in modern English the distinction between amphitheatre and theatre is whether there's a roof rather than the actual shape.

But I am a savage when it comes to these issues :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I'd argue that most people hearing the word "amphitheater" will associate it primarily with the Greek theaters. And when they think of the Roman round amhitheater they'd probably refer to it as, (thanks Gladiator movies) an arena. :P

It doesn't help that there's many modern venues these days that are called amphitheater but are not circular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_contemporary_amphitheatres

Actually, it's one of those things I'd expect to see on QI. "Which of these is an amphitheater?" Or "In Classical Greece, what where the venues called where tragedies and comedies were played?" (With a klaxon waiting if someone says "amphitheatre" :D )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2020, 06:54:16 AM
I'd argue that most people hearing the word "amphitheater" will associate it primarily with the Greek theaters. And when they think of the Roman round amhitheater they'd probably refer to it as, (thanks Gladiator movies) an arena. :P

I know, I've had to reconsider some friendships over this matter. :(

Josephus

Man, this thread has gone all Languish.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2020, 02:34:00 PM
I'm surprised that they include Mycenaeans and Greeks, what with one being the successor of the other, for all intents and purposes. They could have added the Hittites or China instead.

There are lots of civs there that didn't exist simultaneously.  The Harappans were contemporaries of the Sumerians and were more than a thousand years gone by the time of the legendary founding of Rome.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on July 13, 2020, 03:36:31 AM
It is very much a distinction when talking about Greek and Roman buildings. No archaeologist, classicist or ancient historian would ever make that mistake, nor would the ancients as far as I know. An amphitheatre has the full 360 degrees, a theatre 180 degrees (Roman) or slightly more (Greek).

Now that I've investigated more, I can see why you are saying this, but would point out that the audience for the game likely doesn't include archaeologists, classicists or ancient historians.  Seems to me to be an error about as important (or trivial) as showing Republican Romans in the lorica segmentata.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on July 13, 2020, 11:31:22 AM
Quote from: Maladict on July 13, 2020, 03:36:31 AM
It is very much a distinction when talking about Greek and Roman buildings. No archaeologist, classicist or ancient historian would ever make that mistake, nor would the ancients as far as I know. An amphitheatre has the full 360 degrees, a theatre 180 degrees (Roman) or slightly more (Greek).

Now that I've investigated more, I can see why you are saying this, but would point out that the audience for the game likely doesn't include archaeologists, classicists or ancient historians. 

Not anymore, no  :P

Seems to me to be an error about as important (or trivial) as showing Republican Romans in the lorica segmentata.

That's probably true. In my social circles you'd get savaged over an error like that, Languish often seems like a similar place. But not today, apparently  :)

The Minsky Moment

I'm surprised that they include Mycenaeans and Greeks, what with one being the successor of the other, for all intents and purposes. They could have added the Hittites or China instead.

Also they seem to conceive of the Mycenaeans as an entirely militarily focused civ - which seems to be based on the presumed association with the Troojan War epic.  I'm not aware of strong evidence to suggest they were more militaristic or militarily effective then say the Hittites or NK Egypt.  I personal think of the Mycenaeans as a trading civ with sophisticated administration for its time and place.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 13, 2020, 03:49:41 PM

Also they seem to conceive of the Mycenaeans as an entirely militarily focused civ - which seems to be based on the presumed association with the Troojan War epic.  I'm not aware of strong evidence to suggest they were more militaristic or militarily effective then say the Hittites or NK Egypt.  I personal think of the Mycenaeans as a trading civ with sophisticated administration for its time and place.

Kim-Hotep?

Also, the Trojan War epic what?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on July 13, 2020, 02:24:52 PM
That's probably true. In my social circles you'd get savaged over an error like that, Languish often seems like a similar place. But not today, apparently  :)
:lol: I am an utter savage over the classical world. I've read bits and pieces but to be honest I'm just not that interested. I've been to Rome multiple times but I don't think I've ever been to the forum etc :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2020, 05:47:30 PM
:lol: I am an utter savage over the classical world. I've read bits and pieces but to be honest I'm just not that interested. I've been to Rome multiple times but I don't think I've ever been to the forum etc :ph34r:

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2020, 05:47:30 PM

What are you doing here?

:P