News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Humankind - the Civ killer?

Started by Syt, February 06, 2020, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I have begun following that guy mainly because he did such a good job with the first intro pieces to Humankind.  I liked the Bronze age piece and am looking forward to the other ones he does.

Josephus

Looks like they've pushed publication back to 2021 now.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on June 13, 2020, 01:38:29 PM
Looks like they've pushed publication back to 2021 now.

Good, I am not sure how I would resolve the dilemma of what to play if that came out too.  This is the golden age for strategy games  :)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on July 12, 2020, 12:24:29 PM
amphitheatron :bleeding:

You don't like it when the classical name is used instead of the modern one?  Or is it that you don't think an amphitheatron is a good choice for the unique building for the Greeks?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I'm surprised that they include Mycenaeans and Greeks, what with one being the successor of the other, for all intents and purposes. They could have added the Hittites or China instead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2020, 02:19:40 PM

You don't like it when the classical name is used instead of the modern one?  Or is it that you don't think an amphitheatron is a good choice for the unique building for the Greeks?

There were no amphitheaters until after Greece became a Roman province, and only a few were ever built in the Greek world. They are not places where plays were performed. The icon also shows it to be a regular theater (although it might be Roman rather than Greek, it's hard to make out). Using the ancient word when the English word is commonplace can be a bit sad, but using it when you mean something else entirely is :bleeding:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2020, 02:34:00 PM
I'm surprised that they include Mycenaeans and Greeks, what with one being the successor of the other, for all intents and purposes. They could have added the Hittites or China instead.
The have the Zhou dysnasty as one of the Bronze Age civs.

I'm sure there will be tons of DLC civs

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Maladict on July 12, 2020, 02:55:17 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2020, 02:19:40 PM

There were no amphitheaters until after Greece became a Roman province, and only a few were ever built in the Greek world. They are not places where plays were performed. The icon also shows it to be a regular theater (although it might be Roman rather than Greek, it's hard to make out). Using the ancient word when the English word is commonplace can be a bit sad, but using it when you mean something else entirely is :bleeding:
Aren't the game devs French? Might be translation issues?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2020, 08:12:31 PM

Aren't the game devs French? Might be translation issues?

I don't think so, French uses the same distinction (amphithéâtre/théâtre).

Sheilbh

I've just looked up the difference and it's not a distinction that's survived in English. We would use amphitheatre to describe things that aren't in the round - so modern day settings like the Minack Theatre in Cornwall, or full in the round settings would be described as amphitheatres. I think it's more to do with the bowl/scoop shape than anything else.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2020, 03:26:25 AM
I've just looked up the difference and it's not a distinction that's survived in English. We would use amphitheatre to describe things that aren't in the round - so modern day settings like the Minack Theatre in Cornwall, or full in the round settings would be described as amphitheatres. I think it's more to do with the bowl/scoop shape than anything else.

It is very much a distinction when talking about Greek and Roman buildings. No archaeologist, classicist or ancient historian would ever make that mistake, nor would the ancients as far as I know. An amphitheatre has the full 360 degrees, a theatre 180 degrees (Roman) or slightly more (Greek).