Windows Server 2019: how to make storage pool permament

Started by viper37, November 22, 2019, 04:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

I create a storage pool with two hard drives, and while it works fine, once I reboot the server after an update, I lose the virtual disk and I have to re-create it to have access to my shares.

All I can find is info on their new storage pool accross multiples servers.  That's not what I want.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

That is not expected behavior.  The point is to make administering raw storage easier, having it act like a container would defeat that.
Having said that, since MS just changes shit all the time whose to know?
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 23, 2019, 09:23:02 AM
That is not expected behavior.  The point is to make administering raw storage easier, having it act like a container would defeat that.
Having said that, since MS just changes shit all the time whose to know?
Allright then.

If I have two hard drives that I want to use like a Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 Storage pool, meaning, join the two hard drives and make it appear as one large HDD, how would I do that?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

I was just studying thus like three months ago but already I can barely recall things :(

But I am fairly certain your storage pool should stay in place. They stayed in place even on my Azure VMs and those were all kinds of wonky because of the non standard way storage and network works on the service.

Maybe one of the disks you are using is the cause?

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on December 04, 2019, 08:28:02 AM
Maybe one of the disks you are using is the cause?
I don't think so...

To be clear, the way I'm doing it (it was different in Server 2016):
- Create a storage pool (that is permanent)
- Create a virtual disk from that storage pool (that resets itself after a reboot)
- Create shares from the virtual disk (they stay in place once I recreate the virtual disk).

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

viper37

Darth Wagtaros

"Did you run sfc /scannow?"

"Try restoring your environment."
PDH!

viper37