News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I think just about the only starting date other than the standard ones I have ever used was the 1081 Alexiad bookmark.

Habbaku

Ditto. I really liked the Alexiad start-date because of the unique situation and, of course, getting to play as Alexios.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: Josephus on October 25, 2019, 08:07:51 AM
For all the money they make, they can probably afford to hire a history grad/nerd, who can work fulltime doing this research for both CK and EU.

That would mean admitting that such a labor has value.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

I think it is a marketing opportunity lost - being able to say they pay attention to the history would set them apart.

Especially if both brought in history profs to consult and marketed that fact.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2019, 10:42:41 AM
I think it is a marketing opportunity lost - being able to say they pay attention to the history would set them apart.

The people who would care about things like that are the ones who are going to buy the game anyway.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on October 25, 2019, 11:59:25 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2019, 10:42:41 AM

The people who would care about things like that are the ones who are going to buy the game anyway.

I am not so sure Paradox has penetrated 100%  of the market of people who are interested in history.

Josephus

I think they should consider the history grad thing. I mean, they won't have to pay him (yes him) much...I mean where else can a history grad find work?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Oexmelin

Quote from: Josephus on October 25, 2019, 01:09:08 PM
I think they should consider the history grad thing. I mean, they won't have to pay him (yes him) much...I mean where else can a history grad find work?

:rolleyes: History grads find jobs in many places, provided people are not too dumb to understand their worth.

But thank you for illustrating my point about how that sort of labor is not valued (and clearly not understood) even by people who purport to like history.

As for the gender implication, re- :rolleyes: 

HVC

what percentage stick to a history related field? not being snarky, actually interested. Many moons ago when I was applying to universities I applied to some as a history major, but decided against it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sophie Scholl

I'm a history grad... who continues to work in the bar industry due to lack of finding something else that pays remotely close in the history field.  I'd even be willing to take a pay cut for a change in scenery, but when most museums and such places pay barely above minimum wage, well... fuck that.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Oexmelin

Yes, history is not a vocational training, and I try to disabuse the notion in my students that they will become historians with a BA. Not that they need much disabusing anymore. You cannot show up with history credentials into a dedicated type of job, with very few exceptions. Museums are non-profit, and for the majority of them, operate on a shoestring budget - although many remain places where you can climb the ladder and carve out a niche for yourself into comfortable living.

However, historical training is a pathway to many less conventional jobs: so far, my former students have been hired by banks, investment firms, consulting firms, charitable foundations, marketing firms, security consultants, government agencies, civil service, pharmaceuticals, software, etc. Many of course go on to law school.

Numbers suggest history grad start at lower wages at the beginning not their careers, but quickly catch up with other types of majors. Perhaps counterintuitively, English and History outperform a more vocational major such as psychology.

The Brain

History as it is being done at universities has huge quality problems. Often coupled with complete denial regarding said problems.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 25, 2019, 04:59:51 PM
Yes, history is not a vocational training, and I try to disabuse the notion in my students that they will become historians with a BA. Not that they need much disabusing anymore. You cannot show up with history credentials into a dedicated type of job, with very few exceptions. Museums are non-profit, and for the majority of them, operate on a shoestring budget - although many remain places where you can climb the ladder and carve out a niche for yourself into comfortable living.

Thanks Oexy, that's a good summary of the situation.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: mongers on October 25, 2019, 07:38:40 PM

Yeah.  It seems to be extremely low pay at every level till the top and then solid salaries.  Which is... a tad messed up in my opinion.  Seems like the field would be better off distributing payment to employees in a more balanced level.  I guess it is like most fields in the pay disparity though.  Hooray for the modern world. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

mongers

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 25, 2019, 09:09:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 25, 2019, 07:38:40 PM

Yeah.  It seems to be extremely low pay at every level till the top and then solid salaries.  Which is... a tad messed up in my opinion.  Seems like the field would be better off distributing payment to employees in a more balanced level.  I guess it is like most fields in the pay disparity though.  Hooray for the modern world. <_<

Indeed.

And double odd given the income disparity between many of the well-off visitors and the 'run of the mill' museum/heritage staff.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"