News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

The Nords? Feels like that would be really petty.

The Habs, of course. I wish nothing but for the Leafs to keep on failing year after year.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

The Habs. I actually used to like the Nordiques, thanks is to nhl 94 :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Imo, the Leafs problem is John Tavares cap hit. A 6 millions player and 4 more 1.25 millions players would beget more success.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Hockey fans are climbing out onto the ledges here in Edmonton.

The Edmonton Oilers went into the season with high expectations;  Two years ago they went to the third round of the playoffs, last year to the second round - both times losing to the eventual Stanley Cup champion.  The phrase "Cup or Bust" was thrown around.

But here we are on November 10, and the team sits at 2 winds, 9 losses, and one overtime loss.  They were in 31st spot in the league last night, but they were playing the only team worse than them - the San Jose Sharks.  And of course they lost to the Sharks 3-2, the Sharks had been winless in the season until earlier in the week, but now they've won 2 in a row.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Their goaltenders sucks.

I am of the opinion that having two or more players that take over 10% of the cap makes for a unbalanced team that cannot compete year to year.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 10, 2023, 07:10:18 PMTheir goaltenders sucks.

I am of the opinion that having two or more players that take over 10% of the cap makes for a unbalanced team that cannot compete year to year.
That was pretty much the Habs with Carey Price.
Too much for one player.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Well, you need 1. 2 is iffy really. 3 is really bad. Look at the Leafs.

Valmy

Caps suck this year. Probably need to blow it up and rebuild after the season is over.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2023, 09:32:13 PMCaps suck this year. Probably need to blow it up and rebuild after the season is over.
Trade Ovechkin to the KHL or something. ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 10, 2023, 07:10:18 PMTheir goaltenders sucks.

Well we'll see.

at a salary cap of 82 million, next year the Jets will have two players at $8.5 (Schiefele and Hellebuyck), which is just over 10%, depending how much it goes up or not.

Jets are having a fairly decent season, despite coach Rick Bowness having to leave the team due to his wife's illness and Scott Arniel taking over.

Jets are at 16 points, tied with the Avs and only one point back from the Central-leading Stars at 17 points.

Glad I'm not an Oilers fan though. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2023, 11:19:47 PMGlad I'm not an Oilers fan though. :)

All Canadian teams are doomed. It really doesn't matter which doomed team you are a fan of.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2023, 12:23:59 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2023, 11:19:47 PMGlad I'm not an Oilers fan though. :)

All Canadian teams are doomed. It really doesn't matter which doomed team you are a fan of.

That's what happens when you make an American a commissioner of a Canadian game :cry: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 11, 2023, 12:35:51 AM

That's what happens when you make an American a commissioner of a Canadian game :cry: :P

I mean...you aren't lying  :ph34r:

viper37

My team has been doomed for a while now. :(
And the only prospective buyer in line is doing massive cuts to its media empire.