News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Also, and this might sound prejudicial, but I don't want the Palestinians to have access to Israeli nukes.  Cause, you know...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2024, 11:13:15 AMAlso, and this might sound prejudicial, but I don't want the Palestinians to have access to Israeli nukes.  Cause, you know...

They strike me as the enemies of Israel least likely to want to nuke Israel though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2024, 12:43:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2024, 11:13:15 AMAlso, and this might sound prejudicial, but I don't want the Palestinians to have access to Israeli nukes.  Cause, you know...

They strike me as the enemies of Israel least likely to want to nuke Israel though.

Yeah, I wonder what the "cause, you know" is referring to.  I don't actually know who the Palestinians would nuke if they had nukes.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2024, 12:43:56 PM

The enemy of Israel least likely to nuke Israel is Tyr.  I remember a poll back in 2006 where 65% of Palestinians supported Al-Qaeda attacks in the US and Europe.  https://web.archive.org/web/20120611152620/http://almashriq.hiof.no/general/300/320/327/fafo/reports/797.pdf

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grey Fox

Other Muslims? Probably Saudi Arabia.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

The US?

There's also the increased risk of proliferation.

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2024, 09:42:01 AMI don't think that there is any doubt that a one-state solution was possible in the post-WW2 period, but I am convinced that:
1. The Jews did not want that because they wanted a Jewish homeland where Jews had the power to prevent the incessant violent antisemitism that was widespread, not just in Europe.
2. The Palestinians would have accepted it.  The stories about Palestinians massacring Jews are not all incorrect, but they are overblown and fail to comprehend the actual cause of the problem (that being that Jews were buying land from absentee Ottoman/Turkish/Arab landlords and turning out the existing Palestinian farmers, who had been renting the land for generations).
3.  A power-sharing arrangement would inevitably break down, as we saw in Lebanon. Those arrangements don't withstand the changes that passing time bring.
There's a fascinating detail in Avi Shlaim's biography of King Hussein, Lion of Jordan, about King Abdullah trying to persuade Golda Meir to accept an autonomous Jewish canton within Jordan.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2024, 02:10:32 PMThe US?

There's also the increased risk of proliferation.

What groups would gain access that could not gain access through Russia or China? 

In years past I would have said Iran, but given the recent cooperation between Russia and Iran I am not sure that is accurate anymore.

Josquius

Surely in this extreme theoretical of a pure one state solution somehow being possible, getting rid of the nukes would be part of the process?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

In today's world? That would make them a target instantly.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on February 26, 2024, 04:57:05 PMSurely in this extreme theoretical of a pure one state solution somehow being possible, getting rid of the nukes would be part of the process?
Yeah, I imagine the Jews casting aside their weapons would make final decolonization much easier.

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on February 26, 2024, 04:57:05 PMSurely in this extreme theoretical of a pure one state solution somehow being possible, getting rid of the nukes would be part of the process?

Only a truly insane country would voluntarily give up nukes after what happened to Ukraine, the only country to ever do so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2024, 08:43:34 PMOnly a truly insane country would voluntarily give up nukes after what happened to Ukraine, the only country to ever do so.
Well not nukes but also Libya gave up its WMD program.

South Africa too.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Is Kazakhstan no longer a country, or was Ukraine not the only nation to de-nuclearize?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Indeed.  In a hypothetical one-state solution, the country would not need nukes.  There would be no nations determined to destroy it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!