Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on May 17, 2023, 06:10:02 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 09, 2023, 01:57:59 PMSurely on the last point, by now you just need to wait a week for a new mass shooting to distract from the previous mass shooting :( No need for psyops.

I have a funny feeling we'll be hearing about that trans one for years to come.

Well, you keep bringing it up...

Josquius

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 17, 2023, 06:29:52 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 09, 2023, 01:57:59 PMSurely on the last point, by now you just need to wait a week for a new mass shooting to distract from the previous mass shooting :( No need for psyops.

Well, you keep bringing it up...
:unsure:
I do?
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

One of the reasons it will live on is that it probably is not even true. Those kinds of stories become grist for the conspiracy mills.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Yeah I think I read somewhere or heard something about how the popular memory of Columbine is very wrong. Once something coalesces in the public mind, I think it's really difficult to shift.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 17, 2023, 06:56:41 AMYeah I think I read somewhere or heard something about how the popular memory of Columbine is very wrong. Once something coalesces in the public mind, I think it's really difficult to shift.

Which is why movies about historic events that play with the truth are so insidious.

Josquius

What do you mean about the memory of Columbine being wrong?

Quote from: grumbler on May 17, 2023, 06:53:09 AM

One of the reasons it will live on is that it probably is not even true. Those kinds of stories become grist for the conspiracy mills.

Not true how so?
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on May 17, 2023, 11:04:58 AMWhat do you mean about the memory of Columbine being wrong?

Quote from: grumbler on May 17, 2023, 06:53:09 AM

Not true how so?

Because it may not even involve a trans person.  It's true that Audrey Hale started referring to herself/himself as "he" and "Aiden" immediately before this all went down, but it isn't clear from reports from friends that this was legit and not just another way to trigger his/her parents.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

You know the US is fucked when Serbia of all places shows how people are meant to behave after a mass shooting.

BBC News - Serbians hand in guns and question culture of violence after two shootings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65597622
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on May 18, 2023, 01:30:00 AMYou know the US is fucked when Serbia of all places shows how people are meant to behave after a mass shooting.

It is the second amendment. As soon as you even discuss doing anything people freak out like you want to overturn the Constitution and set up a dictatorship.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2023, 07:31:20 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 18, 2023, 01:30:00 AMYou know the US is fucked when Serbia of all places shows how people are meant to behave after a mass shooting.

It is the second amendment. As soon as you even discuss doing anything people freak out like you want to overturn the Constitution and set up a dictatorship.

Despite the thing literally being called an amendment.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on May 18, 2023, 07:32:38 AM

Despite the thing literally being called an amendment.

The first ten amendments are supposed to be the fundamental rights of all people, so not exactly optional.

Despite the fact that most people cannot tell you what the other amendments say or what they mean, everybody knows that the Second Amendment means that owning guns is a fundamental right of all people that can never be impeached or tyranny will reign forever.

Despite the fact that the text says:

QuoteA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If the idea was that every person should be able to have unregulated and unlimited access to guns as a fundamental right of people, why wasn't that what the 2nd Amendment said? Why did it go into having regulations on a militia? The idea seems to me pretty clear is that the people should organize themselves into a militia and have rules and training and so forth. Which in the context of a frontier settler society in the 18th century makes perfect sense. You would have to be a nut to live in most of the United States in the 18th century and not have a fire arm and the skill to use and maintain it even if you lived in some pacifist Quaker community or something.

But it is pretty hopeless. The interpretation that this means every psychopath with a desire to murder, and untrained and unqualified amateur, should be able to have unlimited access to weaponry seems to be both enshrined in law but also in the minds of many Americans. I don't know what the ultimate outcome is but we seem to be going down this track for a while. I do think eventually there will be a reaction against this idea but we will see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

There will be no reaction.

I mean. There's nothing right now. What will change?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 18, 2023, 08:21:02 AMThere will be no reaction.

I mean. There's nothing right now. What will change?

If there isn't, there isn't. I have this weird feeling we have been around this block before, where long celebrations of gun culture have this reaction and then swings back in the other direction for awhile.

Over time as more and more people get personally impacted suddenly shit becomes real. Or at least that is how it is happened before with other issues.

I am not even saying this as some kind of optimistic prediction that good sense and virtue will prevail. Just that eventually there will be a reaction, it might be worse than the disease. I don't know.

The Minsky Moment

The second amendment is just an excuse to justify a pre-existing viewpoint.  For two centuries no one interpreted the Second Amendment to block severe regulation of personal use of firearms; it took a court deliberately packed with radical extremists to pick up fringe scholarship and make it into constitutional law.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2023, 08:43:58 AMIf there isn't, there isn't. I have this weird feeling we have been around this block before, where long celebrations of gun culture have this reaction and then swings back in the other direction for awhile.

I don't think there has been any point in US history with this kind of entrenched, politicized gun culture.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson