News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I was thinking maybe the viking game of my dreams.
But black guy- :(
Has to be sci fi.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2015, 01:41:54 PM
Has to be sci fi.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2015, 01:41:54 PM
Has to be sci fi.

True. They/we only exist in fictional works.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Grallon

I want a *real* roman game - not yet another run-of-the-mill space sim!  Gal Civ 3 is already pretty good in that regard.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Syt

New hint: "Leader characters play an important role in the game."

:rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Their hints are getting ridiculous.  I've lost interest and will just wait for the formal announcement.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Well the announcement is on Thursday so hardly a crazy step you are taking there. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on August 04, 2015, 07:45:17 AM
New hint: "Leader characters play an important role in the game."

:rolleyes:

Ok, so a EUish game where terrain really matters?

Syt

Spiritual successor to Emperor of the Fading Suns?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

KRonn

Liep

Next hint:

I have seen things you people wouldnt believe..

So it has androids? Or is this just to say it's set in the future?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I still think that some sort of alien planet colonization thing with a dose of character focus might be what's coming.

They do have some sci-fi book in their catalogue: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/coriolis-the-dark-between-the-stars

QuoteThe orbital station Coriolis is at the crossroads of space and everything good, bad and ugly in the Third horizon sooner or later ends up here. It's here that a young pathfinder comes to seek the father she's never met. It's where a courtesan realizes he cannot escape the sins of his past, and where a crooked guardsman finds out how hard it is to get dirt off your fingers by washing them in blood. The fates of these three get intertwined as old enemies seek new ways to hurt each other. And as so often before on Coriolis it all starts with a corpse.

It's also an RPG setting:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13712.phtml

QuoteCampaign Setting

These 45 pages describe the Third Horizon (the section of space reachable from Coriolis), the space station itself, and its power centers.

The setting info includes a short run-down of the Icons (the "gods" of the setting), a brief history of how the horizon was settled from Earth in two waves and later isolated, the friction between those who came first and those who came later, a listing of star systems (about thirty) with a few words on the most significant ones and a overview map depicting connected systems.

The 10 pages on Coriolis the space station are the only ones that go into any kind of detail (What religious holidays are observed? Where can I get a place to stay? Where are the important facilities located?) which, needless to say, isn't much.

Then the rest of the chapter provides an overview of the administration of Coriolis, its positions (but not holders) of power, and 15 pages on the "Fractions" of the game. These associations are based on power, business or religion. One example is "Hegemony of Zenith", consisting of aristocrats of the second coming that claim leadership over the Third Horizon in general and Coriolis in particular. Essentially, they're guilds. (Splatbooks anyone?)

This is the weakest chapter. Power structures are mentioned in passing, not explained or described in detail. There is very little on actual locations, actual NPCs, and actual adventures.

In fact, there isn't a single NPC profile in the entire book! Now, in fairness, the system is so simple you're supposed to just pick a character with scores of 10 in all skills for a regular opponent, and perhaps one with 15 in all skills for an elite one. But still. A few animal critters are mentioned, but never statted.

Judged by their other game line (Mutant) Jarnringen intends to flesh out the setting through adventure modules. But this is small comfort for those who have the rulebook (and only the rulebook) now!

Also, they were reworking the random America generator for EU4, to create better continents, which may be a side result of developing this game.

And of course, they registered the brand "Stellaris" which would chime in with Coriolis.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on August 05, 2015, 07:18:20 AM
Next hint:

I have seen things you people wouldnt believe..

So it has androids? Or is this just to say it's set in the future?

I love how after this quote being posted as a hint, so many people conclude "so it must be a fantasy game". Does noone know classic quotes any more???