News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I am playing Populous 2, off of Gog.com, and enjoying it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Drakken

Quote from: Syt on November 11, 2012, 01:04:05 PM
In honor of Armistice Day I bought Strategic Command WW1 + Expansion today.

AARs may or may not follow.

Me interested and wanna know more.

Camerus

Quote from: Drakken on November 15, 2012, 08:57:20 PM

Yeah, I've been considering buying it for months.  I love the Strat Command WW2 series.  Air power.   :wub:

Tamas

Tamas

Altough it only has the Western Front and Gallipoli  <_<

Syt

Quote from: Drakken on November 15, 2012, 08:57:20 PM

I have played so far: 1 turn. It seems to hit the middle ground between the simplistic Guns of August and the convoluted WW1 Gold.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Syt I think the purchase was: a mistake.

Commander: The Great War is just out, and while even more abstracted in some ways than SC:WW1, it is quite neat, and the AI is ruthless. Plus turns don't take an eternity.
I had some good fun with SC but I think this Commander game will be my lightweight WW1 game.

Anyways, quite interesting designer doc on the WW1 tactical game. I am SOOO purchasing it when I get home:
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattles/FirstWorldWar/notes.pdf

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Tamas

Oh and ED, since WW1 Gold was too much for your elderly mind, you really ought to check out Commander: The Great War. Big abstraction (a "battleship" is actually meant to be a whole fleet for example), but easy to manage, and even easier to screw up. Hard decisions and a good AI.
Great game, too bad it's not big on alternative scenarios.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Hey you guys hear anything about AGEOD's WW1 game? I heard it was really fun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2012, 08:48:18 AM
Hey you guys hear anything about AGEOD's WW1 game? I heard it was really fun.

oh ha-ha! Do not blame me for the inability of the others here.  :sleep:

They pretend to be hard core strategy gamers, but then fail at grasping anything more realistic than HoI :P

Syt

Sorry, I wanted to like WW1, but the interface was absolutely horrific, and trhe battles kept crashing for me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2012, 10:10:52 AM
Sorry, I wanted to like WW1, but the interface was absolutely horrific, and trhe battles kept crashing for me.

It's just a shtick Ed is playing on me. :)

WW1 (Gold) is much better now, but I understand it was hard to get into. I had an easy time because I already knew (and PBEMed) the boardgame which got converted with it. It's one of those games you need the full manual for even with an interface which works better.