2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

:lmfao:
Yeah...
I wonder if there's also the attitude that I saw from some in the UK about Brekshit. "If it doesn't happen there'll be some serious trouble from some people- so better support it as its going to happen anyway and it might as well be sans violence."
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

I hate to say it but an increase in my interactions with online lefties who are Hamastans has me seriously considering just going back to voting straight ticket Republican. Like if this is what the opposition looks like I may just accept fascism, and try to boost it so the GOP hurts those people as much as possible.

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 07, 2024, 11:42:16 AMI hate to say it but an increase in my interactions with online lefties who are Hamastans has me seriously considering just going back to voting straight ticket Republican. Like if this is what the opposition looks like I may just accept fascism, and try to boost it so the GOP hurts those people as much as possible.

For both left and right I try to look at what the actual politicians are saying, not online supporters.

Because otherwise I'd be voting straight Sweet Meteor O' Death ticket.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

That's probably smart, to be honest it is just an emotional response to annoyance. The issue for people like me is I was a life long Republican / conservative, and really in a meta sense I think I am still a conservative--I'm just not an extremist, which is what the GOP has become. But I don't find it easy to walk with the Democrats on many issues, particularly the online left.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 07, 2024, 11:42:16 AMI hate to say it but an increase in my interactions with online lefties who are Hamastans has me seriously considering just going back to voting straight ticket Republican. Like if this is what the opposition looks like I may just accept fascism, and try to boost it so the GOP hurts those people as much as possible.

The Democratic Party is still very much pro-Israel.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 07, 2024, 11:52:09 AMThat's probably smart, to be honest it is just an emotional response to annoyance. The issue for people like me is I was a life long Republican / conservative, and really in a meta sense I think I am still a conservative--I'm just not an extremist, which is what the GOP has become. But I don't find it easy to walk with the Democrats on many issues, particularly the online left.

I hear you man.  I still describe myself as a small-c conservative - my ideals haven't changed.  Federally I still am a big-C Conservative, supporting the Conservative Party, though I dislike what some online supporters say.

Provincially I voted left-wing NDP, because I didn't like some of the things the right-wing United Conservatives were saying (despite me actually being a member).  Now I will say that so far they've been all bark, no bite.  They haven't messed with the Canada Pension Plan, they haven't used their unconstitutional "Sovereignty Act" and when they messed with hot-button issues like trans kids they did it with a little more nuance than I had expected.  But they still have 3 more years to go.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 07, 2024, 11:52:09 AMThat's probably smart, to be honest it is just an emotional response to annoyance. The issue for people like me is I was a life long Republican / conservative, and really in a meta sense I think I am still a conservative--I'm just not an extremist, which is what the GOP has become. But I don't find it easy to walk with the Democrats on many issues, particularly the online left.

Don't interact with them?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PJL

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2024, 12:16:31 PM

Many of the hard left have more in common with Trumpists than centrists and more likely to vote Trump than Biden anyway.

Razgovory

I won't vote Democratic if goes full antisemitism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2024, 12:30:18 PMI won't vote Democratic if goes full antisemitism.

And I will not vote Conservative if they go full anti-Ukraine aid.

I keep meaning to email my MP to that effect.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2024, 12:16:31 PM

:yes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

... but aren't those Hamastans anti-Democrat and anti-Biden too?

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2024, 12:30:18 PMI won't vote Democratic if goes full antisemitism.

I know there's a concerted effort by Hamastans to get the Democrats on their side (and punish them if they don't). But are they successful in that endeavour, beyond a few outliers?

Tamas

So you'd be taking their side in punishing Biden.

Valmy

Fair. But we are not even close to that point right now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."