2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: PJL on March 04, 2024, 11:32:43 AMSo much for state's right then eh? Of course that only applies if it suits their agenda.

It only indirectly relates but this reminded me of a neat summary of Trump-like populists (or: post-truth populists) I have heard: dishonest politicians lie to the electorate. Post-truth populists enter into a co-conspiracy with a portion of the electorate that let go of the difference between lies and truth, i.e. internal coherence.

Zoupa

Quote from: Tamas on March 04, 2024, 11:00:22 AMThe slow-burn fascist coup continues.

But who cares, when there's a UN resolution over Gaza is at stake.

Alabama says an embryo is a person. Georgia passes bill allowing police to arrest anyone suspected of being in country illegally, ie "we don't like your face".

Get out while you can, folks.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on March 04, 2024, 01:01:55 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 04, 2024, 11:00:22 AMThe slow-burn fascist coup continues.

Alabama says an embryo is a person. Georgia passes bill allowing police to arrest anyone suspected of being in country illegally, ie "we don't like your face".

I don't think many here were ever in danger in living in those states. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

The rot will reach federal levels if it hasn't already.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on March 04, 2024, 11:07:02 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 04, 2024, 09:03:12 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 04, 2024, 08:56:11 AMThe ice cream fuss is just insane.

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 04, 2024, 08:01:59 AMThat whole line of Palestinian reasoning is predicated on an entire "pyramid of lies", and that seems to be typical of how Palestinians and their allies in the West view the conflict.

No Democrat who was sane enough and who has broad enough appeal to win election was ever going to side with Hamas as they continue to hold Israeli hostages in a war they started. That appears to be the position these people expect.

Don't be daft. Nobody wants anybody to side with Hamas.
Again stop conflating Hamas and Palestinian civilians.
:rolleyes:  Lots of people side with Hamas.  Including a significant number of Palestinians.  Lots of Westerners too, you know, like when people projected "glory to our martyrs" on buildings on US campuses.

You vastly overestimate their numbers and conflate them to anyone who says "Israel is being a bit bad in Gaza isn't it?"
How many people do you think side with Hamas in this conflict in Palestine?  How many in the Muslim world?  How many in the Rest of the World?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

I'd say most of the people that side with Hamas don't even know they do.

Valmy

Never. I will never concede to those assholes. I will go to the gas chambers first. This is our country to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2024, 02:21:56 PM

Never. I will never concede to those assholes. I will go to the gas chambers first. This is our country to.
I'm still on the fence.

Do I lobby the Bloc Québécois for a wall, or do I support an underground railroad? :hmm:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2024, 01:07:45 PM

I don't think many here were ever in danger in living in those states. :hmm:
We have Texans, we have Republicans, and we have expats.

Besides, the thing with fire, is, once the house is on fire, it can pretty much go anywhere.  Actual firewall only delay the inevitable if there's no fire units.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2024, 02:50:18 PMWe have Texans, we have Republicans, and we have expats.

Besides, the thing with fire, is, once the house is on fire, it can pretty much go anywhere.  Actual firewall only delay the inevitable if there's no fire units.

Yeah, my state basically treats human beings as if they are wild animals. Well ok Texas probably wouldn't treat animals as badly as it treats immigrants.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 04, 2024, 07:28:37 AMHad this been the general election, I would agree. It was not. It was the primary where there is basically zero chance for any outcome other than Biden winning in absolutely dominant fashion. If not voicing one's displeasure with policy in such a zero stakes situation is wrong, how can people do it? It seems like no matter how people try to signal they are not happy with things, no matter how benign, is met with anger, mockery, and attacks. I fear it will only lead to people turning their back on the system in apathy or much more damaging ways of voicing their displeasure.

I have heard several Muslims interviewed on NPR say that they will do the same in the general election if their demands are not met.  That is not low stakes.  That is not benign.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2024, 02:53:40 PM
Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 04, 2024, 07:28:37 AMHad this been the general election, I would agree. It was not. It was the primary where there is basically zero chance for any outcome other than Biden winning in absolutely dominant fashion. If not voicing one's displeasure with policy in such a zero stakes situation is wrong, how can people do it? It seems like no matter how people try to signal they are not happy with things, no matter how benign, is met with anger, mockery, and attacks. I fear it will only lead to people turning their back on the system in apathy or much more damaging ways of voicing their displeasure.

I have heard several Muslims interviewed on NPR say that they will do the same in the general election if their demands are not met.  That is not low stakes.  That is not benign.

Agreed. And if we give in to their demands then Israel supporters might do something similar.

There is no winning being involved in this Israel/Palestine business. It is a toxic issue.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2024, 02:53:40 PM

Oh, come now.  It's not like Palestinians have ever affected an American presidential election.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2024, 02:48:19 PMI'm still on the fence.

Do I lobby the Bloc Québécois for a wall, or do I support an underground railroad? :hmm:

The rot will reach Canada if it hasn't already.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!