2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I have to admit I growing somewhat apprehensive about the upcoming American presidential election.

Savonarola

The secret to Taylor's success:

But I thought Taylor Swift was a psy-ops campaign created by the CIA to re-elect Joe Biden... :unsure:... was Trump in on this all along?  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

I was hoping the chiefs would lose so she could get to her next break up album and I could stop hearing about their relationship.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on February 12, 2024, 02:48:29 PMThe secret to Taylor's success:

He did sign the MMA.
Joe Biden hasn't done anything personally for Taylor Swift that I am aware of.
It's quite likely Travis Kelce doesn't like him.

As Trump statements go, that's pretty good on accuracy even if most of it is nonsense.

I think it would be funny to quiz Trump on the contents of the MMA though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on February 12, 2024, 02:51:47 PMI was hoping the chiefs would lose so she could get to her next break up album and I could stop hearing about their relationship.

Why are you bothered by a love story that isn't dysfunctional?

Sheilbh

I do find the online right deciding that they need to war with sports and popular music a little baffling :blink:

No wonder a community that desperate to be bullied loves Trump.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2024, 04:57:34 PMI do find the online right deciding that they need to war with sports and popular music a little baffling :blink:

No wonder a community that desperate to be bullied loves Trump.

Yeah, this is where you can see that as dumb as Trump usually comes across, even he knows that it's a bad idea to try and pick a fight with both the NFL and Taylor Swift.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

It's Kansas City - I can see him wanting to piss off SF, but why anyone in MAGA world thought it was wise to pick on Kansas City is a bit baffling.

Savonarola

It was quite a weekend for Commander Bonespurs:

Trump asks about whereabouts of Haley's husband, who's serving overseas

Quote"Then she comes over to see me at Mar-a-Lago. 'Sir, I will never run against you.' She brought her husband. Where's your husband? Oh, he's away. He's away. What happened to her husband? What happened to her husband? Where is he? He's gone! He knew. He knew," Trump said.

I haven't been following Trump's campaign all that closely, so I was surprised to see the following quote in the article from a speech last month:

Quote"They'll be indicted, because they'll say she was having an affair or something, you know. That doesn't mean it's lying. But she'll be indicted for something," Trump said.

Even by Trump's standards (well, okay, I'll grant you that's an oxymoron) that seems stunningly hypocritical.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2024, 05:01:02 PMpick a fight with both the NFL and Taylor Swift.

Let's complete the scorecard.

NFL, Taylor Swift, Disney and Budweiser.
No American icon is safe from these nihilists.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

He's changed his mind on Budweiser, guess they made a contribution to his campaign
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 12, 2024, 05:10:48 PMIt's Kansas City - I can see him wanting to piss off SF, but why anyone in MAGA world thought it was wise to pick on Kansas City is a bit baffling.
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 12, 2024, 04:36:15 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 12, 2024, 02:51:47 PMI was hoping the chiefs would lose so she could get to her next break up album and I could stop hearing about their relationship.

Why are you bothered by a love story that isn't dysfunctional?

Isn't dysfunctional yet :contract:  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2024, 05:01:02 PMYeah, this is where you can see that as dumb as Trump usually comes across, even he knows that it's a bad idea to try and pick a fight with both the NFL and Taylor Swift.
Yes - but also fundamentally I think for a Presidential candidate Trump has an unusually regard and respect for how famous people are :lol: It's an achievement or quality that I think he genuinely admires (unlike most of the more traditional American virtues).
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on February 12, 2024, 01:53:56 PMI have to admit I growing somewhat apprehensive about the upcoming American presidential election.

The New York Times.