2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2024, 12:20:18 PMI raised because of the context. Current narrative is Biden is the too old one of the two and anything that can be pegged as examples of him being senile is attributed to that.

A ridiculous narrative that it would be great to see the Democrats due more to combat or pivot from.
Yeah I'm not sure. It's really tough to fight the narrative that Biden is too old because he is very old. I'm not sure "Biden's always misspoke" is necessarily a helpful line either.

If you try and pivot it to attack Trump for being old or more senile - I feel like you are still just drawing attention to age and that's an issue where it's more of a risk/perception issue around Biden.

In a way I wonder if the best strategy would be to get him out at events speaking, working the crowd, engaging with people (which is what Biden does best). Without going into Jack Palance territory you try to project an image of Biden being out there, engaged, active etc.

My feeling has always been that the attack line you want is what the other side don't want to talk about and even trying to make it a comparison, you're fighting on the GOP's terrain. I've said it for a long time but I still think the line of attack with Trump is that he's weak and a loser (I think this is why Biden keeps emphasising "former" President) - and I think from the Dem side maybe not talking about age.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2024, 12:22:26 PMhttps://www.datawrapper.de/_/9ZJtn/?utm_source=NBC&utm_medium=iframely

Poll noting by far 81 sends people into panic vs the 77 year old.

I think this just reflects what we've long-known: Donald Trump has a devoted, almost fanatical base of support of between 25-30% of voters, while Biden does not.

Because again, I think and neutral viewer would tend to agree that while Biden has lost a step, Trump comes across as unhinged.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2024, 12:31:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2024, 12:20:18 PMI raised because of the context. Current narrative is Biden is the too old one of the two and anything that can be pegged as examples of him being senile is attributed to that.

A ridiculous narrative that it would be great to see the Democrats due more to combat or pivot from.
Yeah I'm not sure. It's really tough to fight the narrative that Biden is too old because he is very old. I'm not sure "Biden's always misspoke" is necessarily a helpful line either.

If you try and pivot it to attack Trump for being old or more senile - I feel like you are still just drawing attention to age and that's an issue where it's more of a risk/perception issue around Biden.

In a way I wonder if the best strategy would be to get him out at events speaking, working the crowd, engaging with people (which is what Biden does best). Without going into Jack Palance territory you try to project an image of Biden being out there, engaged, active etc.

My feeling has always been that the attack line you want is what the other side don't want to talk about and even trying to make it a comparison, you're fighting on the GOP's terrain. I've said it for a long time but I still think the line of attack with Trump is that he's weak and a loser (I think this is why Biden keeps emphasising "former" President) - and I think from the Dem side maybe not talking about age.

The problem with going after Trump for Trump's age is that isn't even in the top 10 of reasons not to vote for the guy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2024, 12:31:21 PM

Oh I should be clear. I was chiding Zoupa with biden always gaffes not suggesting a democratic strategy. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: Zoupa on February 06, 2024, 11:04:22 AMBetween this and Trump with the whole Nikki Haley/Nancy Pelosi episode, you folks are in good hands.

The future looks bright indeed.   :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2024, 11:24:06 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 06, 2024, 08:22:10 AMBiden recounts 2021 G7 meeting where he spoke with French President Francois Mitterrand.

A triumph of US presidential diplomacy and a good news since his recent calls with Leonid Brezhnev haven't gone so well.  It gives us hope that his upcoming meeting with David Lloyd George will be a success.

Biden has been in politics long enough he probably met Mitterand.

It's likely since Biden was on the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee.  It's possible (though much less likely) that he met Brezhnev as well, as Biden was well into his second term when when Brezhnev died.  Lloyd George was simply a fanciful jest; the earliest serving PM could have met as a Senator was Ted Heath, and living PM would have been Anthony Eden.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

And after skipping all the Republican debates:

Trump says he wants to debate Biden

Biden's response:

Quote"Immediately? Well, if I were him, I'd want to debate me, too. He's got nothing else to do," Biden told reporters when asked whether he would agree to Trump's challenge to debate him.

Which isn't at all fair, as Trump has a number of court appearances to keep him busy.

Tamas

Is this election going to be the last hurrah of the boomers? Clinching to power with their last ailing grasp before they are replaced by a less ridiculously lucky generation?

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 06, 2024, 05:30:01 PMIs this election going to be the last hurrah of the boomers? Clinching to power with their last ailing grasp before they are replaced by a less ridiculously lucky generation?

Biden isn't a baby boomer. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2024, 05:35:54 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 06, 2024, 05:30:01 PMIs this election going to be the last hurrah of the boomers? Clinching to power with their last ailing grasp before they are replaced by a less ridiculously lucky generation?

But surely close enough.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on February 06, 2024, 04:56:33 PMWhich isn't at all fair, as Trump has a number of court appearances to keep him busy.

Not really.  Not yet.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2024, 05:35:54 PM

Don't get technical when the Boomer Boogieman gets mentioned.  It's not like these generational labels are more than fuzzy generalizations anyway.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Looks like None had an impressive showing tonight.  Definitely a Republican nominee I can get behind.

HVC

Haley can't even win when she's the only one on the ballot :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

Sure anyone can meet with living European leaders but Biden sets the bar much higher than that:

In his second mix-up this week, Biden talks about meeting with dead European leaders

This time Helmut Kohl when presumably he meant Angela Merkel, (on the other hand it could just have been one heck of a G7 summit that he attended.)