News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

China having another go at stopping Philippines access to their grounded LST base on that reef, this time they're also demanding it be towed away.

Just to underline the absurdity of China's 'nine-dots line' claim, this is a decent looking map, all other country claims look reasonable, certainly solving by direct negations or by resolution in the international courts, but China's:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Not really political but I found this really interesting - Pew doing research onto attitudes to religion/"religious" practices in China:
https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2023/08/30/measuring-religion-in-china/
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on August 08, 2023, 07:31:23 AMJust to underline the absurdity of China's 'nine-dots line' claim, this is a decent looking map, all other country claims look reasonable, certainly solving by direct negations or by resolution in the international courts, but China's:

It can't help Brunei's tourist business that sunbathers risk crossing into Chinese territory if they wade out into the water.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Anyone ever read anything about china's daft claims from a more China sympathetic viewpoint?
An actual examination I mean. Not just "mwa wa wa west was bad to China in the 19th century and now we strong and Chinese sailors have always gone there so there!"
As it really seems to be just such a blatant piss take. And it's curious it's only in this very specific area. Their nonsense is more standard in other seas.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

China real estate collapse back on? Another big developer, Country Garden, announced a 6.7 billion loss for the first half of the year.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on August 30, 2023, 10:01:35 PMChina real estate collapse back on? Another big developer, Country Garden, announced a 6.7 billion loss for the first half of the year.

I don't think it was ever off.  This is just a continuation of the problem.

Valmy

Isn't this rather similar to what happened in Japan? I seem to recall a massive real-estate bubble being a key part of their problems in 1995.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2023, 11:32:12 AMIsn't this rather similar to what happened in Japan? I seem to recall a massive real-estate bubble being a key part of their problems in 1995.

I think there are partial parallels to most of the major economic crises in the last many decades, making prediction by comparison a bit tricky.

Josquius

Yeah, there's similarities to Japan but it is quite a different situation.
In Japan it was land speculation and speculation on mad theme park businesses and that sort of thing actually becoming profitable.
Actual property has very little value in Japan.

In China it is squarely about property. About owning raw numbers of competed flats with zero intention of using them and the only idea about turning a profit being that real estate always goes up.

In Japan it was a far more natural consequence of the over heated economy.
In China it's just where the limited freedom to do much else with your money and cultural weirdness has got them.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Another dimension to the property boom in China is that for the longest time, buying real estate was practically the only / safest way to invest money for the average Chinese person.

On top of that school districts are fundamental to life success for your children - you go to school in your district, but better elementary schools feed to better high schools which increases the chance of better university placements (or placements at all). So the average Chinese person would see significant real value in owning property in an area with better schools than where they're coming from.

Zanza

Read a report in NZZ on the Chinese real estate crisis. Some crazy numbers there. 90 million empty appartments, another 230 million square meters under construction.  Some older investments had to be written down by 2/3 already. 70% of all private savings invested in real estate. When that bubble bursts, it will be the greatest crash of all times.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on September 04, 2023, 01:24:32 AMRead a report in NZZ on the Chinese real estate crisis. Some crazy numbers there. 90 million empty appartments, another 230 million square meters under construction.  Some older investments had to be written down by 2/3 already. 70% of all private savings invested in real estate. When that bubble bursts, it will be the greatest crash of all times.

Yeah and just think of all that wasted concrete and the CO2 emissions produced in the construction.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

It's not only in China. Chinese firm built a multi billion ghost town in Malaysia too with the sultans backing.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

I think I've mentioned it before but the Economist podcast on China, Drum Tower, is worth a listen. The lastest episode is really interesting, on the Third Front including reporter visiting Panzhihua which is one of the cities built at that itime.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Can you give an executive summary?