News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2023, 10:14:14 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 31, 2023, 01:05:59 AMI've ran into restaurants saying they're bengali or punjabi but never Bangladeshi or Pakistani :hmm:

But yes. Pretty sure most Indian restaurants are pakistsni

I think it's just because of where your immigrants are coming from.

Pretty sure most of our Indian restaurants are run by Punjabis, at least going by names and languages spoken (top 5 non-english languages spoken in Edmonton are Tagalog, Punjabi, Cantonese, Mandarin and Arabic, in that order).

Of course if you want to look at restaurant workers more generally they're overwhelmingly Filipino, but they tend to work more at fast food or corporate places, rather than run their own restaurants (although there are a few homestyle Filipino restaurants in town).

In Japan I recall a huge chunk of their Indian restaurants were Nepali for some reason- can't be arsed to check but maybe they had a favourable immigration deal like Iran did.

All very interesting but meh in the grand scale given I take Indian restaurants as meaning the old meaning of India rather than modern India.
What does annoy me however are the amount of Chinese owned Japanese restaurants. They just don't do it right. I've heard it claimed (by Japanese people to be fair) they just do it as they realise they can charge more.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on May 31, 2023, 10:15:55 AMIn Japan I recall a huge chunk of their Indian restaurants were Nepali for some reason- can't be arsed to check but maybe they had a favourable immigration deal like Iran did.

All very interesting but meh in the grand scale given I take Indian restaurants as meaning the old meaning of India rather than modern India.
What does annoy me however are the amount of Chinese owned Japanese restaurants. They just don't do it right. I've heard it claimed (by Japanese people to be fair) they just do it as they realise they can charge more.

But it's because Japan doesn't send out immigrants any more - or at least not immigrants who want to work long hours in restaurants.

And be careful - the "old meaning of India" you seem to be thinking of is the old British Imperial India. :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Sushi is comparatively easy to make and westerners can't tell Asians apart. Perfect recipe :P

In Ontario The sushi restaurants are mostly Korean owned. You can tell which ones because they also have things like bulgogi and kimchi on the menu :D . Sushi has been a thing in Canada for many decades, but korean restaurants have only started getting popular recently, and even then it's mostly bbq places. Korean chicken seem to have only become a thing in the last 5 years here in Ontario.  So sushi restaurants were an easy option.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

:lol: And it's AI we are worried about.

Josquius

How far the family has fallen.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

For a split second I thought it would be AI Franz Joseph giving his verdict. Sad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on June 02, 2023, 02:54:55 AMHow far the family has fallen.
There was a piece in the NYT recently about the current Habsbrg's racing career.

Also not sure if I've posted before, but loved this detail :lol:
QuoteLuka Ivan Jukic
@lijukic
How fitting that the House of Habsburg's role in Central European history ended not with a bang, but struggling against a distant and impenetrable Austrian bureaucracy
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on June 02, 2023, 02:54:55 AMHow far the family has fallen.

The guy in the tweet, Eduard Karl Joseph Michael Marcus Koloman Volkhold Maria Habsburg-Lothringen, is Hungary's ambassador to the Holy See, so yeah. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

The Roman Catholic Church has launched an inquiry after two nuns came back from their missionary trips pregnant

QuoteA church source told Italian news agency ANSA: "There is consternation at this news. It appears that both women were back in their home nations and obviously had some form of sexual encounter."

Ah. 
Reminds of another thing like that, a woman having a baby without any sexual intercourse. If it happened on Tatooine, it could happen in Africa.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

My boy has gotten a new book. Very posh and old timey one called hide and seek pig. On each page there's a rhyme, a flap, and an animal is found.
Usually they rhyme.
Seek, beak. Sheet, feet. So on.

On one page however they go with here and ear. :blink:
Does that rhyme to anyone?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on June 03, 2023, 01:37:25 AMOn one page however they go with here and ear. :blink:
Does that rhyme to anyone?

:lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2023, 01:57:39 AMTrick question?

Probably more of a "Geordie accent" question? :P

—Stephen Jay Gould