News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Finland, Sweden + NATO

Started by Jacob, April 13, 2022, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Ah. But who really is the puppet, and who is the master?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Italy managed to ratify NATO membership for Finland and Sweden despite the government collapse.

With 23 votes done, the remaining countries are Spain, Greece, Portugal, Slovakia, Czechia, Turkey, and Hungary.

Duque de Bragança

Portugal won't be a problem, only communists go for the NATO = Evil route.

The Minsky Moment

Accession passed 95-1 in the US Senate with only insurrectionist chickenshit Josh Hawley voting against and FSB Colonel Rand Paul voting "present"

Hawley is a piece of work.  Even fellow MAGA shit heel Tom Cotton couldn't hide his contempt.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

Hawley is running the Cruz playbook--get attention by meaninglessly pissing everyone off periodically and leverage that into a higher profile.

Richard Hakluyt

Is Hungary expected to veto?

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 04, 2022, 10:55:05 AMIs Hungary expected to veto?

No mention of it in Hungarian politics yet. I wouldn't put it past Orban to copy Erdogans playbook and try to get something for letting it happen, he is in desperate need of cash. He could possibly tető trade the greenlighting of EU funds for it.

Equally likely though he may want to avoid opening one more front with the countries his realm's stability depends on and will just approve it promptly.

Jacob

Denmark, Sweden, and Norway has just announced an agreement to coordinate more closely - sharing access to military infrastructure (in particular radar and other airspace tracking), as well as to co-ordinate patrols. Potentially there are other areas of "close coordination" that have not been fully announced at this point in time.

This is specifically directed at Russian aggression since the start of the war on Ukraine.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2022, 11:47:44 AMDenmark, Sweden, and Norway has just announced an agreement to coordinate more closely - sharing access to military infrastructure (in particular radar and other airspace tracking), as well as to co-ordinate patrols. Potentially there are other areas of "close coordination" that have not been fully announced at this point in time.

This is specifically directed at Russian aggression since the start of the war on Ukraine.

Russia is bringing the Kalmar Union back together.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Finland's latest political scandal is... our PM being filmed at a private party dancing while drunk, with the video leaked to the tabloid press. Obviously, all the conservative boomers here cannot stomach the thought of a young female politician having fun on a weekend. Trevor Noah talks about it here at the 7 minute mark: https://youtu.be/adi0WETopik?t=420

We don't quite get up to the level of American political scandals.  :P

Jacob

Is this going to end up having an impact?

DGuller

Is there a genuine outcry, or is it just a fifth column of useful idiots organizing a spontaneous outrage?  I know Finns have a reputation for being a little reserved, but surely convulsing a little or looking at other people's shoes shouldn't make Finns ask for a drug test.

Sheilbh

I think footage of a Finn enjoying a social situation is definitely news and, no doubt, rather damaging. A bit like if someone had candid footage of Pedro Sanchez eating dinner a 5.30 :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2022, 11:22:19 AMI think footage of a Finn enjoying a social situation is definitely news and, no doubt, rather damaging. A bit like if someone had candid footage of Pedro Sanchez eating dinner a 5.30 :o

:lol:

It does put into context why they would insist it's drugs and not just assume alcohol.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2022, 11:22:19 AMI think footage of a Finn enjoying a social situation is definitely news and, no doubt, rather damaging. A bit like if someone had candid footage of Pedro Sanchez eating dinner a 5.30 :o

Yeah the incident has sent shockwaves through Finnish society but her voluntary drug test and sincere insistence on merely being very drunk has calmed the national mood considerably. :sleep:   
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.