News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2022, 11:47:13 AMJacob, as someone who grew up in the Fraser Valley, I can tell you quite definitively that folks in Abbotsford do not identify as being part of Vancouver.  Its not part of Metro Vancouver - for practical and political reasons.

Anyway, you missed who is more famous and actually from Vancouver, which was in my edit - Reynolds.

I didn't zoom in very far, and at that level it was Buble and Jepsen and Reynolds didn't show up.

Zooming in more you get others, sure (including Reynolds), and the important differences between Abortsford and Vancouver is also more evident.

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on August 04, 2022, 08:45:25 AMReally interesting, but George Washington was not from Pennsylvania.

Now that's some pretty big oversight. I did find a couple of people that were placed in quite different places from where they were born, but Washington seems like the kind of big name for which this kind of mistakes shouldn't happen.

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on August 04, 2022, 12:07:32 PMNow that's some pretty big oversight. I did find a couple of people that were placed in quite different places from where they were born, but Washington seems like the kind of big name for which this kind of mistakes shouldn't happen.

Yeah, and it's so easy to get right since he was born in Washington.

Josquius

God. That dumb linear city skyscraper environment destroyer thing the Saudis are on about.
At Heathrow there's advertising for it. :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on August 04, 2022, 02:56:15 PMGod. That dumb linear city skyscraper environment destroyer thing the Saudis are on about.
At Heathrow there's advertising for it. :bleeding:
Piccadilly Circus too - and weirdly the Westfields in Stratford and Shepherd's Bush. Someone said it all has a very "a new life awaits you in the off-world colonies" vibe.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on August 04, 2022, 08:45:25 AMReally interesting, but George Washington was not from Pennsylvania.

Wrong Westmoreland county. Lots of interesting surprises in that map though.

Admiral Yi

Jury awards 4 million clams in Alex Jones trial.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 04, 2022, 08:35:14 PMJury awards 4 million clams in Alex Jones trial.

He should breathe a sigh of relief...even though it is really hard in a civil trial, with the way things were going I thought he might get the death penalty.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Anyone in the UK looking to buy a house?

BBC News - Scottish island of Pladda on sale for price of a city flat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-62434747
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

So, I got drunk with a mate yesterday and we went down quite the rabbit hole  :lol:

We started discussing time travel movies and ended up with The Final Countdown. And here it goes... imagine the US gets hold of a time travel device and wants to stop Pearl Harbor from happening... what's the smallest thing they could send (to save energy) that would actually do the deed? For the scenario's sake imagine you can't communicate with anybody else once you're in the past so no "I'll warn the base before the attack".  The time frame is the same as in the movie, a few hours before the attack.

Our best bet was a fighter or bomber loaded to the gills with Harpoons and sink the Japanese carrier force, but we weren't knowledgeable enough if that would be viable. You might need several.

The Brain

A nuke in the middle of the Kido Butai would do the trick I think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

A note (with all proper accredations so it's believable) to a relevant authority to prepare the fleet for action?

Or if notes are forbidden, yes... Some nukes can be pretty small. If that's not possible maybe even a small explosive planted at just the right point on the Japanese flagship to scupper their plans.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Have an RC Kingfisher scout plane fly over the Japanese fleet.  They'd believe surprise to have been lost and turn away to avoid a US air attack.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

The Atlantic has a long-form essay on the family separation policy at the American southern border.

Please read it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/09/trump-administration-family-separation-policy-immigration/670604/
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Fascinating and depressing.
██████
██████
██████