News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 04, 2022, 04:52:22 AMI know they won't play every game but I think it'll be interesting to see Liverpool and City with what feel like slightly old school classic number 9s :hmm:

That'll be interesting to see, yeah, how they'll both operate with throwback strikers rather than their traditional high mobility tactics with no fixed no. 9. It'll also be interesting to see Gabriel Jesús at Arsenal as a more traditional striker, and see how many goals he can rack up when in a more traditional set up.

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Larch on August 04, 2022, 04:47:51 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 03, 2022, 08:58:37 PMWith both Manchester City and Liverpool doing major retooling with their squads there might be a small window this season for a plucky team to squeeze into the Top 2. I see a lot of pundits picking Spurs for 3rd. Might they make a run for 2nd or even the title?

I don't think their retooling is that major. Sure, both teams have lost important names, but their cores stay in place and both have brought in what could be massive signings. I still think that they'll both take the first two spots in the league.

In the race for #3 maybe Arsenal will be the main contender.

That's fair. Whatever growing pains they may have incorporating their respective new number 9s should be balanced out by the strong core they still have.

I could question what happens if either one flops, like what happened to Lukaku at Chelsea. But they SHOULD still have enough about them as complete teams to hold onto the Top 2.

Arsenal have looked really good in preseason. It seems Arteta has the kind of players he needs and they're all onboard with him and his style. This is probably the most excited the fans have been since Wenger was around.

3rd I think is a bridge too far but Top 4 is absolutely the expectation this season.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Larch on August 04, 2022, 06:03:30 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 04, 2022, 04:52:22 AMI know they won't play every game but I think it'll be interesting to see Liverpool and City with what feel like slightly old school classic number 9s :hmm:

That'll be interesting to see, yeah, how they'll both operate with throwback strikers rather than their traditional high mobility tactics with no fixed no. 9. It'll also be interesting to see Gabriel Jesús at Arsenal as a more traditional striker, and see how many goals he can rack up when in a more traditional set up.

Just preseason I know but Jesus looks completely free and happy as a 9. But it helps that Arsenal's system means he also interchanges with the left and right wing forwards a lot, too. It's quite fluid when it works correctly.

Sheilbh

Via Popbitch and it's been everywhere, but I still can't stop believe that Southend United signed a sponsorship deal with local estate agents Gilbert and Rose to transform their West Stand into the "Gilbert And Rose West Stand" which sounds like a tribute to the serial killer :lol: :bleeding:

I don't understand how no-one at any stage spotted it might be a problem and they should sponsor literally ANY OTHER STAND :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I read they're looking for alternative naming Gilbert and Rose stand of the west?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

BBC archive asking local women around Highbury what they think of the football season coming up in 1971:
https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1555515710977085440?s=20&t=bsk526kScGIwVS2DhqmMGQ

Amazing array of accents on that one :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2022, 11:07:40 AMBBC archive asking local women around Highbury what they think of the football season coming up in 1971:
https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1555515710977085440?s=20&t=bsk526kScGIwVS2DhqmMGQ

And teeth!

Great stuff, I  love that kind of archive material.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2022, 11:07:40 AMBBC archive asking local women around Highbury what they think of the football season coming up in 1971:

Very cool.  :bowler:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on August 05, 2022, 11:17:49 AM

And teeth!

Great stuff, I  love that kind of archive material.

I was going to say, some had good teeth so just how representative a sample could that have been  :D

celedhring

Sheilbh I suspect will agree with his fellow Evertonians  :P

Surprised to see Chelsea so low, they landed on their feet on the Abramovic issue and the new owners are splashing the cash.

Zoupa

NLD going strong even in opinion polls lol.

FunkMonk

Quote from: celedhring on August 05, 2022, 01:19:05 PM

Sheilbh I suspect will agree with his fellow Evertonians  :P

Surprised to see Chelsea so low, they landed on their feet on the Abramovic issue and the new owners are splashing the cash.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE

We are very used to disappointment though so fully expecting a loss to Palace today.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 05, 2022, 01:34:37 PMTOP OF THE LEAGUE
STOP THE COUNT!

QuoteSheilbh I suspect will agree with his fellow Evertonians  :P
Yes :( :lol:

(Although I like some of our signings so....maybe some hope some day?)
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

I thought Partey had been arrested on rape charges no? Am I thinking about that ManU player?

Gups

Quote from: Zoupa on August 05, 2022, 02:50:13 PMI thought Partey had been arrested on rape charges no? Am I thinking about that ManU player?

According to my son he is not going to be charged.