And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on July 25, 2022, 03:07:42 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2022, 08:55:10 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on July 25, 2022, 07:54:56 AMUkrainians seem to be gaining the advantage in Kherson. Might be time for another Russian goodwill gesture.

I am indeed hoping for a Russian announcement of "we are winning so big, to show we are nice we are retreating from Kherson".

Instead they're cutting gas transportation to 20% of normal come Wednesday.
I like the Libs retcon of their idea to give back to Russia their turbine.  "Oh, it was simply to call their bluff". :rolleyes:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on August 03, 2022, 03:57:48 PMSeeing reports of Azerbaijan starting another offensive in Nagorno-Karabakh.  Are they trying to pounce while Russia is occupied elsewhere in order to establish facts on the ground?  Looks like the prediction of the hornet's nest being disturbed with Russia invading Ukraine is finally coming to fruition, all sorts of frozen conflicts are now liable to become unfrozen.

That's sad. On the one hand yeah fuck Russia. Causes extra trouble for them.
But then Armenia is surrounded by enemies. Russia was the only help available for it. Nagarno Karabakh has the right of self determination.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

poor old Armenia has been surrounded by enemies for 2500 years  :(

Jacob

Yeah, I'm pretty sympathetic to Armenia in general, even if Russia is the devil.

DGuller

I have sympathy for Armenia as well, and it's a damn shame that it has no choice but to be Russia's ally.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: DGuller on August 04, 2022, 11:54:36 PMI have sympathy for Armenia as well, and it's a damn shame that it has no choice but to be Russia's ally.
Iran, which is just as bad, would be a theoretical choice for protector too. And one with historical precedence.

The Brain

So Amnesty decided to blast Ukraine with Kremlin talking points. Odd choice of hill to die on.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2022, 04:45:07 AMSo Amnesty decided to blast Ukraine with Kremlin talking points. Odd choice of hill to die on.
Amnesty... lol

Tamas

This Amnesty report really boils my blood.

They cite instances of Ukrainians breaking international law and endangering civilians such as their people seeing Ukrainian soldiers eating(!) in hospitals, using a storage building (!) near a grain silo which was subsequently indiscriminately bombed by Russia, and having an artillery unit deployed near a residential area, which for this reason then had its buildings damaged when the Russians peppered the area with cluster munition.

And of course Russian propaganda is now citing this report as proof that they are only targeting military targets and its Ukraine's fault that civilians get in the way. Bastards. 

The Brain

I have known that Amnesty are weirdos for a long time, but have they gone even more nutjobby in recent decades? It appears unhinged to risk all their other work just to score brownie points with Putin. Or did Putin demand this open display of allegiance?

Josquius

Or maybe they're just being truly unbiased and reporting things as they see them?
I don't doubt they're speaking the truth. I also believe Ukraine when they say there's valid excuses what with the war for national survival.

It's notable that Russia won't even let them in on their side.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

It seems Amnesty is criticizing the Ukrainian military strategy which was withdraw to urban areas and fight the Russians inch by inch there, where there were not very strong defensive fortifications available, negating local Russian superiority.  :hmm:  :huh:  The civilian casualties Ukrainians are inflicting today seem to be mostly tied to the fighting in Kherson. It was an enormous fuckup on the Ukrainian part to concede Kherson as easily as they did, a part of the failure to mobilize earlier than they did in the runup to the invasion.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Quote from: Legbiter on August 06, 2022, 11:06:06 AMIt seems Amnesty is criticizing the Ukrainian military strategy which was withdraw to urban areas and fight the Russians inch by inch there, where there were not very strong defensive fortifications available, negating local Russian superiority.  :hmm:  :huh:  The civilian casualties Ukrainians are inflicting today seem to be mostly tied to the fighting in Kherson. It was an enormous fuckup on the Ukrainian part to concede Kherson as easily as they did, a part of the failure to mobilize earlier than they did in the runup to the invasion.

Less they conceded it as an active military decision and more had the wrong people in charge there who betrayed them no?

As I say, what Ukraine is doing in forcing city fighting IS wrong morally (purely looked at in isolation) . Amnesty is right to call it out. But given the situation ukraine is in they don't really have the luxury of being paragons of virtue.
Russia on the other hand has zero excuse. They choose to be cunts.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on August 06, 2022, 10:54:24 AMOr maybe they're just being truly unbiased and reporting things as they see them?
I don't doubt they're speaking the truth. I also believe Ukraine when they say there's valid excuses what with the war for national survival.

It's notable that Russia won't even let them in on their side.

Amnesty has decided to be enablers of Russian war crimes. I think they are weirdos, I don't think they are stupid. They know perfectly well what they're doing. "-Yeah the bruises look bad, but she did talk back to him..."

Legbiter

Quote from: Josquius on August 06, 2022, 11:15:16 AMAs I say, what Ukraine is doing in forcing city fighting IS wrong morally (purely looked at in isolation) . Amnesty is right to call it out.

It was either that or get wiped off the map.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.