News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I have no idea who Stanislaw Lem is? :unsure: I was even wondering if Lemberg were named after him?

Sheilbh

He wrote Solaris - I've not read the book but saw the film and is the only reason I know him  :ph34r:

I feel like there's a lot of interesting Eastern European sci-fi I've never really read (We, Lem, Day of the Oprichina) - need to get into it :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Really interesting, but George Washington was not from Pennsylvania.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

frunk

Stanislaw Lem is a fantastic author.  The Cyberiad is one of my favorites, a series of short stories detailing the adventures of Trurl and Klapacious, two inventor robots.  Other excellent ones are His Master's Voice, Fiasco and Solaris (better than either movie version).

celedhring

Lem is one of my favorite sci-fi authors (it helps that Tarkovski's Solaris is one of my favorite movies, although it differs from the book). Cyberiad is indeed a delight, smart and very humorous. Sometimes it reads like a Hithchiker's Guide to the Galaxy avant-la-lettre

Grey Fox

At the original zoom level : Leonard Cohen
Zooming all the way down : Martin St-Louis
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Pleasantly surprised that Miró gets the nod for Barcelona, would have expected a more noveau celeb like Rosalía, Piqué or Úrsula Corberó.

Sheilbh

John Lennon, unsurprisingly. And for London - Charlie Chaplin (and I live about half a mile from where he grew up).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 04, 2022, 09:36:24 AMJohn Lennon, unsurprisingly. And for London - Charlie Chaplin (and I live about half a mile from where he grew up).

Are you a tramp? :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on August 04, 2022, 06:06:21 AMWho is the most famous person from each city in the world? Check it in this map!

https://tjukanovt.github.io/notable-people
:punk: :punk: :punk: :punk: Norbert Weiner  :punk: :punk: :punk: :punk:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Vancouver: Michael Buble and Carly Rae Jepsen

Copenhagen: Søren Kierkegaard and Lars Von Trier

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 04, 2022, 11:21:03 AMVancouver: Michael Buble and Carly Rae Jepsen

Carly is from Abbotsford.  At least that is where she went to high school.

We can't do better than Buble?

Edit - yes, yes we can.  Buble is from Burnaby.  Ryan Reynolds is from Vancouver.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2022, 11:42:22 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 04, 2022, 11:21:03 AMVancouver: Michael Buble and Carly Rae Jepsen

Carly is from Abbotsford.  At least that is where she went to high school.

We can't do better than Buble?

I looked at the slightly greater area (which is why I included two people in each case). I think generally when speaking in contexts outside of the local area (and sometimes inside as well), folks from Abbottsford indentify as part of Vancouver.

But yeah, looks like Buble is it.

Caliga

Quote from: Josquius on August 04, 2022, 07:22:32 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 04, 2022, 06:06:21 AMWho is the most famous person from each city in the world? Check it in this map!

https://tjukanovt.github.io/notable-people

Cool idea but don't seem to be able to zoom?
For my immediate neighborhood:  Joan Osborne*
For the wider neighborhood: Jennifer Lawrence
For the city: Muhammad Ali

* Disagree with this.  She had like one song, right?  It should be Papa John instead.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Jacob, as someone who grew up in the Fraser Valley, I can tell you quite definitively that folks in Abbotsford do not identify as being part of Vancouver.  Its not part of Metro Vancouver - for practical and political reasons.

Anyway, you missed who is more famous and actually from Vancouver, which was in my edit - Reynolds.