News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on August 03, 2022, 01:47:42 PMSpent 90 million on it. Wasn't even supposed to be a theatrical release, but a streaming one. Did bad with test audiences. Either it was so bad they buried a finished film, or there still some money needed finish it and the test were bad enough it wasn't worth the money to finish.

I guess there's money to be spent on post-production, but marketing is also a huge budget item. Then there's potentially the release slot, where they could have other movies they think will perform better.

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on August 03, 2022, 02:03:43 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 03, 2022, 01:47:42 PMSpent 90 million on it. Wasn't even supposed to be a theatrical release, but a streaming one. Did bad with test audiences. Either it was so bad they buried a finished film, or there still some money needed finish it and the test were bad enough it wasn't worth the money to finish.

I guess there's money to be spent on post-production, but marketing is also a huge budget item. Then there's potentially the release slot, where they could have other movies they think will perform better.

And there are probably also accounting shenanigans to be made if the film is written off as a complete loss. Maybe you can get some kind of tax break out of it.

Sheilbh

I've only seen the one picture but it doesn't look very aesthetically similar to The Batman which seems a bit weird. I assumed they were all trying to do the cinematic universes.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

From what I've read it's fucked up Hollywood accounting where they've decided they need the tax deduction.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Saw, The Gentleman (Netflix) on my son's recommendation - and loved it.  A lot of great dark humour.  Pacing is great.

High Grant is fantastic and Colin Farrell steals the show.

Berkut

Watched the first three episodes of "We Own This City". Very good.

Interesting to note that the old adage that by and large, criminals are mostly dumb applies to cop criminals as well.

Police officer talking on (wire tapped) cell phone to someone he called, while he gives him advice that clearly indicts him in criminal activity: "I mean, I don't even know who I am talking to....". 
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Just checked the cinema and there's barely anything I want to watch this week :( :bleeding:

Very little out. I'll go and see Hit the Road and The Good Boss on the basis of their trailers but aside from that just absolutely nothing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Really enjoyed Sandman - purists may dislike it for its numerous changes, but I went in expecting re-imagination rather than faithful adaptation. I thought the casting was almost entirely on point.

Difficult to tell how good it is for someone going in without knowledge of the comics, though.

I liked that they included two one shots in the series, The Sound of Her Wings and Men of Good Fortune (unfortunately not Tales in the Sand). And while a fair bit of the episode 24/7 changes things from the comic it was still hard to watch (they did keep most of the more gruesome bits of that story - overall, the series pulls relatively few punches when it comes to adapting the comic's graphic nature or language).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Quote from: Syt on August 05, 2022, 10:57:58 AMReally enjoyed Sandman - purists may dislike it for its numerous changes, but I went in expecting re-imagination rather than faithful adaptation. I thought the casting was almost entirely on point.

Difficult to tell how good it is for someone going in without knowledge of the comics, though.

I liked that they included two one shots in the series, The Sound of Her Wings and Men of Good Fortune (unfortunately not Tales in the Sand). And while a fair bit of the episode 24/7 changes things from the comic it was still hard to watch (they did keep most of the more gruesome bits of that story - overall, the series pulls relatively few punches when it comes to adapting the comic's graphic nature or language).

I'm up to episode 6 right now and I'm really enjoying it.  I'm familiar with the mythos/some plot points but I've never read the original comic.

HVC

Tywin has bad luck with younger sons.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Gave up on The Gray Man.  A silly  and bad movie.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2022, 03:21:30 PMSaw, The Gentleman (Netflix) on my son's recommendation - and loved it.  A lot of great dark humour.  Pacing is great.

Just watched this last night, I am sure I would not have other then you mentioning it. It was quite good. How had this never even pinged my radar?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Halfway through the Sandman. I think it's one of those shows that are good because the base material is good, but the adaptation doesn't feel particularly inspired (besides a great cast). It has this Netflix show thing (with exceptions like Stranger Things) where they throw a lot of money and SFX at it, but it still feels TV-ish with pretty perfunctory directing. The writing I think tries to stitch too many things from the comics and ends up being unfocused, and overall I never get the feeling the show is adding anything to the original work, or being able to employ the tools of the film medium to make a compelling rendition of it. It all feels kinda mechanical. I certainly enjoyed American Gods more (the first season at least).

Again, there's enough of the comic's vision and ideas to make it compelling, but it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on August 06, 2022, 04:30:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2022, 03:21:30 PMSaw, The Gentleman (Netflix) on my son's recommendation - and loved it.  A lot of great dark humour.  Pacing is great.

Just watched this last night, I am sure I would not have other then you mentioning it. It was quite good. How had this never even pinged my radar?

:cheers: