Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on July 18, 2022, 01:35:29 PMYou'd never been in a car with AC?

That had it, probably, maybe? No idea when it became standard.
Actually using it... not that I can remember before moving to Japan- certainly never knowingly.
I'd been in shops with AC of course, but then I don't get to control the buttons.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

AC is busted in my car.  The temperature has been 90's-100's for three weeks.  The day I moved it was 103 degrees. :yucky:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2022, 01:56:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 18, 2022, 01:44:23 PMSure, but never really use it.  I find it most aggravating in a car actually.

Are you a mouth breather? Legitimate question, not an insult :D. Just trying to figure out how it would dry you throat.  Most ac doesn't dehumidify to that large a level. I worked 5 years at a printing company. Now that was a dry place (paper stock sucked up moisture) but while I got sinus issues never bothered my throat.

The a/c in our building doesn't really bother me.  It's at home or in the car that I notice it.  Not sure why that is.  Because of the issue with my lungs I consciously try to breathe through my nose (when not hitting the gym that is).

mongers

No need for AC here yet; today it hit 35C, but I managed to maintain a temperature gradient in the house of -13C or more, so at least I know the double glazing isn't 'bust'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

I mean, well done, but that sounds uncomfortably cold :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I turn on A/C when it barely starts getting hot but Heating, that's what I wait until the last possible moment. Usually when the basement hits 15Celcius.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

One of the independent Hungarian news sites has been beating the drum lately about the aridification of the counter, the south-east in particular. The signs have been there for decades of course but it seems the continued extreme weather and worsening water management have escalating the issue. They paint a picture where a whole (agricultural) region of the country is heading toward becoming an arid wasteland.

The second-biggest lake of the country, Lake Velence, has also just set an all-time low water record level just a day or two ago.

Josquius

Well, looks like we are fucked.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/01/african-nations-set-to-make-the-case-for-big-rise-in-fossil-fuel-output?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Every time I see this "the west did it so why can't we" argument it makes my eyes bleed. So dumb.
I like that there are some at least saying Africa should leapfrog fossil fuels. They already did this with telecoms so it does make sense. The 19th century way of development is not the only way.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Josquius on August 02, 2022, 05:06:59 AMWell, looks like we are fucked.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/01/african-nations-set-to-make-the-case-for-big-rise-in-fossil-fuel-output?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Every time I see this "the west did it so why can't we" argument it makes my eyes bleed. So dumb.
I like that there are some at least saying Africa should leapfrog fossil fuels. They already did this with telecoms so it does make sense. The 19th century way of development is not the only way.
That is such a terrible idea, and it's a terrible idea for Africa.

Exploiting fossil fuels is not going to make Africa wealthier, it's going to make it poorer. It will make the corporations exploiting that wealth richer for sure, but the poor will just suffer the (already happening) consequences of the climate being damaged even more.

The developed world, however, does have a debt here. We do need to assist them in making that leap to renewables, and that is not something that we can leave to the invisible, benevolent and of "the market".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Though their countries and people won't see much improvement  it does make a lot of sense why African leaders would be keen on seeing more natural resource exploitation...

I wonder whether much ground can be made in opposing it by underlining this point. Smear the idea of it so much that any African leader who puts his head above the parapet on calling for this is announcing himself to be one of the infamous corrupt president for life types.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

On Saturday it reached 53C in Abadan, worlds highest temperature in 2022, sofar.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on August 02, 2022, 08:05:03 AMThat is such a terrible idea, and it's a terrible idea for Africa.

Exploiting fossil fuels is not going to make Africa wealthier, it's going to make it poorer. It will make the corporations exploiting that wealth richer for sure, but the poor will just suffer the (already happening) consequences of the climate being damaged even more.

The developed world, however, does have a debt here. We do need to assist them in making that leap to renewables, and that is not something that we can leave to the invisible, benevolent and of "the market".

This is extremely first world oriented, which is an attitude dooming any hope for global climate coordination.

The US produces 11.6 million barrels of oil a day. We continue to seek out and exploit new drilling opportunities. The Biden administration was recently touting how many permits it had approved.

All of Africa produces 5.5 million barrels of oil a day.

Of course Africa has a population far in excess of the United States. We could look at oil consumption but the story is even more skewed to the US.

Of course we have a president that just went to Saudi Arabia to try to get them to increase oil production, and Europe has continued to buy fossil fuels from Russia while throwing a fit that places like India continue to trade with Russia.

It fails basic tests of reason to bemoan the global poor trying to exploit their resources at a fraction of the level we exploit our own.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014