News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

I mean they should insulate, don't know why they don't. Don't know about now, but Portugal used to be big on using cinderblock which you can't really insulate without building another wall on top of the structural wall
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2022, 07:25:01 PMI mean they should insulate, don't know why they don't.
electricity company lobby! :shutup:

Seriously, I'm guessing it's a question of costs.

If you change the building code to require insulation, it will increase the prices of new properties, making the dream of a single house out of reach for many, especially in places that may not have fare economically well in the last decades. 

It will also increase the price of new appartments.  Over time, the cost of living in these countries would be higher, while wages would likely remain the same.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Surely insulation itself doesn't cost *that* much.  I figure the bigger problem is old housing stock that doesn't have room in the walls to lay it.  Can you imagine the hassle of insulating an old six story walk up in Paris?

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 19, 2022, 07:02:17 AMCurrent forecast for Vienna looks "fun."

Heh. We haven't had a high less than 37 since May I don't think. I exaggerate but only slightly. It reached 37 the first week of May and has just stayed there without a break week after brutal week.

This is one of the hottest summers I have ever seen in Central Texas. Usually by August I am over it and desperate for cool weather but I think I felt that way in June this year. And we have another two months of this at least.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Forecast has been revised to 37 for today and tomorrow, and low to mid 30s rest of the week, but "likely" back to 37/38 from next week Monday. Yay.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Forecast for Stockholm is 32 tomorrow, and then back down to 20+. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

DC is forecast to hit 100 F for the first time since 2016. I was wondering when we'd finally join in on the heatwave fun.

Doesn't look likely that we'll hit 104 F (40 C). Last time that happened was 2012. All time record high is 106 set in the early 20th century.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tonitrus

(stealing PDH's thunder)

Forecast here on the left coast is high 60's/low 70's as far as the eye can see.   :cool:

We could use some rain though...

Iormlund

Quote from: Syt on July 19, 2022, 07:29:31 AMOur office has A/C, which creates extra incentive to come in at the moment. Plus, we're allowed to wear shorts on 30+ days (provided there's no important visitors coming in).

I have A/C both at my office and home. I've been sleeping with it on. Even opening windows at midnight only lets hot air in.

Spending any amount of time at the shop floor is hell. The evaporative cooling towers give up every day at noon and then it's just high humidity and all the heat from a hundred welding robots plus the painting oven on top of the 40º C outside.
Honestly surprised we haven't had any heat stroke case so far this summer.

Duque de Bragança

Most welcome rain today with temperature getting below 30 (26° max). :)
Hotter the following days but manageable.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2022, 09:52:49 PMSurely insulation itself doesn't cost *that* much.
Yes, it does.  Results for Belgium give me 80-120 euros/m2 for the roof.
Walls would be a bit cheaper, so maybe 60-80 euros/m2.

If you want prices for the old measurement system, try this site:
https://soumissionrenovation.ca/fr/blogue/prix-isolation

For cold climated, foundations must be insulated from the outside and the inside.  For warm climates, I guess insulating the basement from the inside will be more than enough, assuming they have a basement.

QuoteI figure the bigger problem is old housing stock that doesn't have room in the walls to lay it.  Can you imagine the hassle of insulating an old six story walk up in Paris?
Well, you don't use a rigid material for existing buildings. :)

You would use stuff similar to that (consistancy of the material used may vary)

They have stuff designed especially for closed spaces like what you would find in a typical Euro building.  It is still costly to buy and to do.  You obviously have to perforate the walls and roof to shoot the insulation and repair afterward.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

It's 4:52 am and 25°C outside. I've had the windows open and created a draft all night, but it's not gone below 27°C in my apartment.  :glare:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on July 22, 2022, 09:55:49 PMIt's 4:52 am and 25°C outside. I've had the windows open and created a draft all night, but it's not gone below 27°C in my apartment.  :glare:

:console:

I found the 3 days of 25-28C inside the house this week nearly unbearable.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

When I went to the stores at 8 am I knew why it had remained so warm - our court yard was the same temperature. The next nights are supposed to go under 20°, so hopefully nights will become more bearable soon.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2022, 07:25:01 PMI mean they should insulate, don't know why they don't. Don't know about now, but Portugal used to be big on using cinderblock which you can't really insulate without building another wall on top of the structural wall

Really depends on which region of Portugal you are. In colder and/or wetter areas, insulation and heating are realities.  :P