Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I wonder if this is a strange European take on a/c, as I swear I've never heard so many people complaining about sore throats with a/c than once I moved to the UK.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also southern England does need a/c for more and more summer days each year. Just not yet hit the point yet where mass changing behavior.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2022, 10:49:13 AMI wonder if this is a strange European take on a/c, as I swear I've never heard so many people complaining about sore throats with a/c than once I moved to the UK.

Full A/C when the temperature does not warrant it (not now) gets many complaints. Not to mention the thermal shock when going outside. Also, the increased energy consumption and greenhouse effect.

If there is a country in Europe that does not need A/C most of the time, it's the UK. Add in Ireland (British Isles/Hiberno-British archipelago whatever).
I can see being useful in Southern Europe (not to US amounts) but improved insulation and basic heat management (open windows at night not during the day and shutters during the day) would be enough.
Unless insulation in the UK is as bad  as their proverbially distressing plumbing.  :D

OttoVonBismarck

Older people I knew in my family who grew up pre-AC all hated the way it made the air "feel", and complained of it irritating their throats. They would use open windows and fans for as much of the year as possible and only turned on AC in old age when it got really hot.

By my generation we used it more, but both of my parents were anal retentives about not turning it on until as late in the summer as possible. The first time I had my own residence I had control over the temp in, I put the air on 72F and kept it there--and if that meant the AC randomly kicks on when it's only 77F out, cool. The modern American attitude is that our climate in our homes is whatever we want it to be, regardless of what it is outside.

crazy canuck

I don't like A/C for the same reasons - we use it so infrequently that when it is on, I notice the difference.  I prefer to open the windows at night etc.  But during the heat dome event last summer, it was necessary and we used it. 

Josquius

I was just thinking the other day that AC is one of the weird differences when moving to Japan you never hear about.
For months I would turn it on with the window open-as I had no idea how it worked. I thought it was just like a fan. They never thought to tell me as its just so default there.

The climate in summer was humid which I guess countered the shit air effect. That was worse using it as a heater in winter.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

If we fix the climate we don't need AC.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on July 18, 2022, 01:08:23 PMI was just thinking the other day that AC is one of the weird differences when moving to Japan you never hear about.
For months I would turn it on with the window open-as I had no idea how it worked. I thought it was just like a fan. They never thought to tell me as its just so default there.

The climate in summer was humid which I guess countered the shit air effect. That was worse using it as a heater in winter.

That's like leaving the refrigerator door open and being annoyed no one told you you should close it :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on July 18, 2022, 01:11:30 PMIf we fix the climate we don't need AC.

Heh. It would take another ice age for Texans to stop using AC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on July 18, 2022, 01:35:29 PMYou'd never been in a car with AC?

Sure, but never really use it.  I find it most aggravating in a car actually.
Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2022, 01:34:23 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 18, 2022, 01:08:23 PMI was just thinking the other day that AC is one of the weird differences when moving to Japan you never hear about.

That's like leaving the refrigerator door open and being annoyed no one told you you should close it :P

Well, depending on what setting it is on, some A/Cs do also function as a fan.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 18, 2022, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 18, 2022, 01:35:29 PMYou'd never been in a car with AC?

Sure, but never really use it.  I find it most aggravating in a car actually.

Sorry, I was actually asking Jos.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 18, 2022, 01:44:23 PMSure, but never really use it.  I find it most aggravating in a car actually.

Are you a mouth breather? Legitimate question, not an insult :D. Just trying to figure out how it would dry you throat.  Most ac doesn't dehumidify to that large a level. I worked 5 years at a printing company. Now that was a dry place (paper stock sucked up moisture) but while I got sinus issues never bothered my throat.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2022, 01:56:46 PMAre you a mouth breather? Legitimate question, not an insult :D. Just trying to figure out how it would dry you throat.  Most ac doesn't dehumidify to that large a level. I worked 5 years at a printing company. Now that was a dry place (paper stock sucked up moisture) but while I got sinus issues never bothered my throat.

My nostrils connect to my throat. :unsure:

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2022, 01:58:37 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2022, 01:56:46 PMAre you a mouth breather? Legitimate question, not an insult :D. Just trying to figure out how it would dry you throat.  Most ac doesn't dehumidify to that large a level. I worked 5 years at a printing company. Now that was a dry place (paper stock sucked up moisture) but while I got sinus issues never bothered my throat.

My nostrils connect to my throat. :unsure:

But your nasal cavity is a giant mucus membrane and would condition the air better before it got to your throat.