News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2022, 11:50:46 AMAnother fond memory from my youth smashed.  (The other one was Dairy Queen.)  Went out of my way to get some Popeye's t'other day and it was quite a let down.  Not spicy at all, pretty dull.

I dunno - the few time's I've had Popeye's it is noticeably much more spicy than typical fast-food "spicy".

Maybe it's because the only thing I've gotten is their Spicy Chicken sandwich - I don't know if just the regular fried chicken by itself is all that spicy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Let me tell you sonny, back in the day Popeyes's had some pop.

mongers

Had my first ever taste of Gatorade, somewhat sweat, slightly salty coloured water; probably my last taste of it too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Wife and kids are away camping while I'm still working, so I have time on my hands and I like to try some different dishes.  But it's also the middle of the week so nothing too involved.

Last night I made: toad-in-the-hole.  I was nervous because I've never made yorkshire pudding before, but it turned out really good. :mmm:  I'll definitely try making it for the whole family next time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on November 13, 2021, 09:29:14 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2021, 07:17:43 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 13, 2021, 05:48:26 AMI got papa John's pizza the other day.
My god its greasy. And takes forever to deliver.
Yes. This was their second chance and they blew it. They're the lowest of the big 3 pizza chains.

That's your mistake right there.
I disagree. The quality is a lot more reliable and safer than random takeaways.

Pizza hut has declined a bit since it shifted to being a takeaway and dominos too as it has grown bigger has gone down in quality.

Why on earth would you pick a random takeaway instead of checking reviews and looking at the menu to get an idea of quality? I can't imagine going to one of the chains (except Franco Manca). There are loads of better places.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on July 07, 2022, 03:34:44 PML]

Why on earth would you pick a random takeaway instead of checking reviews and looking at the menu to get an idea of quality? I can't imagine going to one of the chains (except Franco Manca). There are loads of better places.

It's take away pizza. Not a specially arranged meal. The whole point is something fast and Meh.

The really good places usually require ordering days in advance.
With reviews and such it's easy enough to avoid the terrible ones but the hundreds on 4.something tend to blend into much of a muchness. Even with hours to research identifying the best from there would be tough.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

So I'm watching this lightweight British rom-com, dinner is served and the starter is various types of ham.  All thin sliced (and cold I imagine).

Made me wonder if Yuros ever eat thicker, cooked/heated up ham as an entree.

Looks like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ham&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALiCzsY5cpwPLXKYQQqmyH2UxeFDtFSO0g:1658294142729&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwivzr2K24b5AhVAkokEHTOqDxUQ_AUoAnoECAIQBA&biw=1056&bih=521&dpr=1.82

Syt

In Germany/Austria we have what's called "Kassler" (Germany) or "Geselchtes" (Austria) which is salted/smoked pork. IIRC can be other meats than strictly pork butt, though.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Yeah we ate stuff like in Syt's picture when I was growing up in Denmark.

Syt

Wiki has an article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassler

QuoteA similar dish, hamburgerryg, is eaten in Denmark.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

But usually made with pork butt?

So no one else slices ham thick and cooks it up?

I wonder where that came from.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2022, 02:12:08 AMBut usually made with pork butt?

So no one else slices ham thick and cooks it up?

I think we do... I don't know if it's alway pork butt as opposed to other cuts.

Admiral Yi

Singapore Mei Fun (I've also seen Singapore Chow Mei Fun) is the loveliest dish you can get at a chinese takeaway.

Admiral Yi

Tried the mulligatawny soup at my Indian joint.  Kind of underwhelming for a soup that gets that much hype.

Caliga

Went to a Nando's in Chicago last time I was up there.  Pretty good stuff.  I have a bottle of their medium sauce I'm planning on using to marinate a chicken for grilling.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points