News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Finland, Sweden + NATO

Started by Jacob, April 13, 2022, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

This is all fairly conveniently vague or would have been de facto given NATO membership. Smile, nod, take the deal. Tomorrow is another day.

Erdo even got a win to take home.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Has the quid pro quo been mentioned yet?  Heard on NPR that Finland and Sweden agreed to extradite people Turkey considers terrorists.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2022, 09:05:48 PMHas the quid pro quo been mentioned yet?  Heard on NPR that Finland and Sweden agreed to extradite people Turkey considers terrorists.

Post #224, courtesy of Sheilbh

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2022, 09:05:48 PMHas the quid pro quo been mentioned yet?  Heard on NPR that Finland and Sweden agreed to extradite people Turkey considers terrorists.
That could very easily mean nothing at all though.

I mean, I am sure both of them already have extradition agreements for terrorists. The moment you convince us we have <insert relevant legal criteria for extradition> terrorists here, we of course would extradite them!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Solmyr

Our sources say that Finland will still continue to consider who is a terrorist by its own definition, so Turkey won't be able to just point at someone and demand extradition.

Threviel

I presume that the terrorist thing is just optics and the real price for Turkey was in the F-16 discussions with the US.

The Larch

It seems that Turkey has already asked for 33 extraditions to Sweden and Finland. They had their shopping list ready...

Threviel

Quote from: The Larch on June 29, 2022, 05:53:41 AMIt seems that Turkey has already asked for 33 extraditions to Sweden and Finland. They had their shopping list ready...

All we have to do is delay until they formally accept us in their parliament. Then we can delay forever.

Or send them to Turkey if they are terrorists, I don't support Sweden as a terrorist haven.

Threviel

There are rumours that Turkey might be interested in Gripen. The US does not sell them any planes and they have an obsolescent air force, Gripen would be an acceptable alternative.

Previous embargo that was not an embargo made it impossible, but now it seems like an option.

I think the US has more or less a veto on Gripen sales, lots of US components so I don't really see it happening.

The Minsky Moment

News today said Turks reached a deal with the US on sexed up F-16s.
Just need to get through Congress . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Threviel

Yup, that's it then, we have the answer of what the turks were after.

Weird that a country named for a bird can't build their own fighters.

The Minsky Moment

Not too shabby building drones though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on June 30, 2022, 08:37:10 AMYup, that's it then, we have the answer of what the turks were after.

Weird that a country named for a bird can't build their own fighters.

Turkeys can't fly much, though.

Nonetheless, they seem to do fine with drones.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on June 30, 2022, 08:43:27 AMTurkeys can't fly much, though.

As Arthur Carlson found out, to his horror.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

More NATO than other news but despite worries it cause a fight UK is going to increase its defence budget by 25% up to 2.5% as the new target. Which is a good decision - also sounds like more commitments to NATO, particularly increasing current presence in Estonia.
Let's bomb Russia!