News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pax Languish (Pamir)

Started by Habbaku, November 29, 2021, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Okay...

So got Vassal working.  Looks like it should work fine off a USB key so I think I am not limited to only moves late at night.

So I'm Grey... selected loyalty to the Afghans.  Sent the save off to everyone, I think.

But Airtable - kind of escapes me?  What is this for?

Sorry excited to play, but not nearly as knowledgeable as some others here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Don't worry. I am a filthy casual too.

bogh

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2021, 12:14:02 AM

But Airtable - kind of escapes me?  What is this for?

Airtable is where we record our turns and upload the turn file. So when your turn is done, you add a row, upload the file and mark who's next. If that player has email notifications turned on, they will get an email to let them known someone added them as next player up. You can also post here if you want to make sure they see it. This saves us from emailing everybody constantly to make sure they have access to the lastest file.

If you want review someones turn (even if you're not the next player), you can always go and find the file in Airtable - and you can always find the latest file in there to avoid the confusion that can arise if you email the file around. A single source of truth if you will.

Hopefully that makes sense, otherwise let me know and I'll expand as required.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2021, 12:14:02 AM
Okay...

So got Vassal working.  Looks like it should work fine off a USB key so I think I am not limited to only moves late at night.

So I'm Grey... selected loyalty to the Afghans.  Sent the save off to everyone, I think.

Almost there! I sent some new instructions via email for you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Sorry I went silent yesterday.  Mrs B was out of town with one kid, I was running around all day with the other kids.  I sat down at the computer at 11:30pm, tried to make sense of it all, couldn't, and said "fuck it".

I may not yet get my move done tonight (still figuring out both the game and VASSAL), but I am on it.

Habbaku

If you'd like to set up a call during the day or evening, I'm happy to screenshare and walk you through some of the trickier Vassal/PBEM stuff, Beeb.

Your turn again, by the way.  :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

I'd be more interested in you would make any suggestions as to what I should do in my move...

I'll see if I can get a move in at lunch (an hour from now).

Habbaku

Gladly!

Your options are really as follows from the way I read the board:

1: Purchase another market card. You have three excellent options here, of varying quality.
1a: Purchase Bukharan Jews. In addition to your first purchase (Maqpon Dynasty), they are also a leveraged card (note the black symbol with scales). Cash is king in Pax Pamir and having increased liquidity is always good. Since the base cost of the card is 0 (as it's in the first market column), it will net you an additional 2 rupees when you play it until you lose the card from your tableau.

1b: Purchase Slave Markets. For the same reason above, it's leveraged, but provides a block and, more importantly perhaps, has the very powerful Tax action on it. Tax actions can always be targeted at players who have a card in their tableau in a region you rule. As this combos very well with Maqpon Dynasty, you will be able to tax anyone that plays cards into Punjab. Even if they don't play into Punjab, you will be able to tax the market, guaranteeing some measure of liquidity.

1c: Purchase Ranjit Singh. This combos very well with Maqpon Dynasty and will virtually guarantee you will rule the Punjab for the rest of the game so long as you protect your tribes and prevent assassination of your rulers. Given that it also grants an army block in the region, you'll be well set up with this. The downside here is that it is somewhat expensive (2 rupees).

2: Play Maqpon Dynasty. Given there are two other Punjab cards on the market, play of this will disincentivize purchase of those cards (as they would have to pay you a rupee per tribe you have in the region as long as you rule it and Maqpon Dynasty provides 1 tribe/rulership in the region). In addition, it's leveraged, providing another 2 rupees in your pockets for later purchases.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Purchased Bukharan Jews.  I think that does it.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

From what I can tell actual game play in Vassal seems pretty intuitive.  But logging in / logging out is not.

Edit: oh and this confirms I can work off of a USB key at work (during lunch and other breaks of course).  :)

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2021, 03:06:47 PM
From what I can tell actual game play in Vassal seems pretty intuitive.  But logging in / logging out is not.

Edit: oh and this confirms I can work off of a USB key at work (during lunch and other breaks of course).  :)

:yeah:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

I purchased Ranjit Singh and Mir Murad Beg.

Over to Celedhring.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

I purchased two cards. Over to Beeb.

Here is the state of the board/market (since nobody has played anything into their courts yet) at the end turn 1. Pretty exciting.