News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Football (Soccer) Thread
Last post by FunkMonk - April 24, 2024, 03:59:14 PM
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Josquius - April 24, 2024, 03:58:08 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2024, 03:15:25 PM:huh: This thread's made me realise how much of an Atlantic gap there is on sitcoms - at least until the 90s maybe.

A lot of those mentioned here I've never heard of, some I think I've only heard of because of gags in Family Guy or the Simpsons (like Three's Company, I think) and some I'm aware of. But I think Mork and Mindy, Married with Children and Roseanne are the only ones I've ever actually seen/made it to UK TV.

Linear TV childhood - different world :mellow:

Yes. Most old American comedies I know about from their being referenced in films about comedians lives, the simpsons, etc...
Hell. Quite a lot of classic films I know of In a similar way.

I guess it's another part of the shrinking of the world and take off in globalisation over recent decades.
Massive increases in choice and freedom but at the same time it is sad to see such a decline in the days when someone could be hyper succesful and famous in Yorkshire but basically unknown elsewhere.
Off the Record / Re: Football (Soccer) Thread
Last post by Sheilbh - April 24, 2024, 03:50:43 PM
I saw lots of Arsenal fans saying they wanted Everton to do them a favour. Which suggests they don't know Everton because the last time we won a derby at Goodison, Arteta scored :lol:

But (NOT JINXING IT)... :o
Last post by Sheilbh - April 24, 2024, 03:15:25 PM
:huh: This thread's made me realise how much of an Atlantic gap there is on sitcoms - at least until the 90s maybe.

A lot of those mentioned here I've never heard of, some I think I've only heard of because of gags in Family Guy or the Simpsons (like Three's Company, I think) and some I'm aware of. But I think Mork and Mindy, Married with Children and Roseanne are the only ones I've ever actually seen/made it to UK TV.

Linear TV childhood - different world :mellow:
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Sheilbh - April 24, 2024, 03:10:48 PM
Once again looking at Germany with envy for their Green Party :lol:
Quotejonn elledge
@JonnElledge
I'm trying to wean myself off my recent addiction to being mean to Greens on Twitter, but one of them has just put out a campaign video listing 35 reasons to vote Green and one of them is "zero murders" and come on

Not really sure "zero murders" is a policy (also has "zero road deaths" which again is very much not a policy). It's not like murders happen because Sadiq Khan isn't opposed to them.
Off the Record / Re: Dead Pool 2024
Last post by Syt - April 24, 2024, 02:46:46 PM
RIP Terry Carter, age 95.

:(
Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by Valmy - April 24, 2024, 12:47:18 PM
The Rangers were just hanging out and then whenever the Caps would score they would wake up and kick some ass for a bit, take a lead, and then just hang out again. On the plus side the Caps were not blown out but on the negative side they actually lost a one goal game. Oh dear, the one thing they were really good at...
Off the Record / Re: What does a BIDEN Presiden...
Last post by Valmy - April 24, 2024, 12:32:19 PM
Quote from: Josquius on April 24, 2024, 02:51:35 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2024, 01:15:03 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2024, 12:19:34 PMMy grandfather was a Lutheran pastor and served a term as a Bishop in the ELCA.  I remember him telling me that during his term he had argued in favor of endorsing some newer revision of the Bible because he wanted the Message to be as clear as possible to as many people as possible, but there were conservatives who disagreed and ultimately they made no change to their recommended translation of the Bible for congregations... or something along those lines (this was in the 1980s so my memory is a bit fuzzy on the specifics).

It's weirdly ironic. Translating the Bible into language people could understand (English, German etc.) without need for interlocutors in the form of pastors/priests was once a transgressive and groundbreaking move. Now, these centuries old translations have become more difficult to understand for contemporary Christians, but now you have again some conservatives pushing back on updating translations, sticking to the old ones. :D

Its funny though, because these colloquial translations might have made things harder for modern folk to read than if they'd stuck to more formal English at the time.
Always strikes me as funny when you get low grade fiction having a historic person speaking polite ye olde English throwing around thou et al. English mostly lost its impolite forms. Its the polite formal forms we kept.
Like imagine a bible translation using all the hippest 1970s language. This tends to be a bit of a problem with modern language takes; they go too far in trying to be trendy.

Huh. I have never heard a criticism that the NIV is just too full of hip slang terms.

Last post by HVC - April 24, 2024, 12:32:13 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2024, 01:04:08 AMWhat was the candle situation on the show? :P

Mostly exterior or near exterior shots to save money. Need for candle lighting was diminished :P
Last post by crazy canuck - April 24, 2024, 11:42:31 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2024, 10:21:36 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2024, 09:54:01 AMI had forgotten that Laverne and Shirley were roommates.  :blush:

Yes. That's why they had their initials on their shirts so they won't mix them up.

My boyhood crush on Shirley may have caused the details to elude me.