News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: The China Thread
Last post by Josquius - May 16, 2024, 03:24:16 PM
Im sure I can remember circumstances where democracies did use performing kids like so.

Anyway. Didn't notice from clip but have read since it was a big snub for Putin with some random nobody being the one to meet him when convention would be Xi or at least his second in command.
Off the Record / Re: Hungarian Politics
Last post by Tamas - May 16, 2024, 03:12:45 PM
https://lansinginstitute.org/2024/05/14/hungary-is-setting-closer-cooperation-with-russia/

It was weird a few months ago to read Hungary was working on a military mission in Chad. It became news because despite trying to hide it, Orbans son was busted as being part of the delegation there.

Then not long ago I read that Russia has been expanding its influence there and it suddenly made a lot of sense.

Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by Josquius - May 16, 2024, 02:50:28 PM
Define win.

Russia will be worse off from the war guaranteed. That is assured.

At the same time it's very possible they could "win" and gain territory.
Gaming HQ / Re: STELLARIS: New Paradox Gam...
Last post by crazy canuck - May 16, 2024, 02:50:08 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 16, 2024, 12:54:24 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 16, 2024, 12:01:27 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 15, 2024, 08:27:59 PM- Hyperlanes limits this potential of course, by creating natural chokepoints...even if the ease up other aspects of a 4x space sim.  (and of course, Stellaris wasn't isolated to hyperlanes when it first came out...they forced the change I think to simplify other features)
Before limiting to hyperlanes, using warp drives instead took away any notion of terrain. It was impossible to build static defenses as fleets could just jump anywhere - still the case in late game now. So there was no front and no choke points before. Just fleets jumping around.

I feel Distant Worlds had that solved to some degree. Besides having range being a factor, ships required fuel to travel between stars. So unless you had fuel stations along your invasion routes and/or had tankers accompany your fleets you couldn't just strike anywhere and had to advance slowly and protect your fuel supply routes.

Yeah, Distant worlds II has the better combat and strategy.
Last post by crazy canuck - May 16, 2024, 02:46:52 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2024, 01:22:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2024, 11:02:53 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 15, 2024, 10:33:48 AMThis is going to end up as a Russian victory, won't it?

I mean it depends on what you mean by "victory" - I don't think Russian troops are marching through Kiyev, but I don't think Ukraine is going back to pre-2014 borders (which of course is my preferred outcome).

Russia lost the war two years ago, nothing is likely to change that unless a Trump-led United States shifts from malign neglect to outright support for Putin. Otherwise, the best Russian case is that they may occupy more pieces of a devastated eastern Ukraine, which will further drain already taxed resources. But their strategic position will remain considerably worse then pre-2022.

Of course it is possible for both sides to lose a war and that is looking increasingly likely as an outcome. Ukraine will have cemented its nationhood but at terrible cost.

What makes you think Russia cannot win? 
Last post by crazy canuck - May 16, 2024, 02:45:29 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 15, 2024, 12:41:35 PMYeah guys let's not get all defeatist.

We are not fighting, what does it matter if we talk about the reality of what is happening? 
Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by crazy canuck - May 16, 2024, 02:43:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2024, 11:47:50 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2024, 11:31:32 AMGive Season long or life time bans and see how many times it happens.

Well it certainly wouldn't happen for awhile as the players would probably strike if the league decided to take on itself that kind of extreme arbitrary power.

You might want to look up the meaning of arbitrary.  Of the rule was that conduct gets you kicked out of the league, that is the exact opposite of arbitrary.

Last post by Syt - May 16, 2024, 12:54:24 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 15, 2024, 08:27:59 PM- Hyperlanes limits this potential of course, by creating natural chokepoints...even if the ease up other aspects of a 4x space sim.  (and of course, Stellaris wasn't isolated to hyperlanes when it first came out...they forced the change I think to simplify other features)
Before limiting to hyperlanes, using warp drives instead took away any notion of terrain. It was impossible to build static defenses as fleets could just jump anywhere - still the case in late game now. So there was no front and no choke points before. Just fleets jumping around.

I feel Distant Worlds had that solved to some degree. Besides having range being a factor, ships required fuel to travel between stars. So unless you had fuel stations along your invasion routes and/or had tankers accompany your fleets you couldn't just strike anywhere and had to advance slowly and protect your fuel supply routes.
Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by Grey Fox - May 16, 2024, 12:35:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2024, 11:31:32 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2024, 01:16:41 PMThey did not? Both Vancouver players were disciplined.

The fact this sort of nonsense continues is a good indication that the league is quite happy for it to continue.  Give
Season long or life time bans and see how many times it happens.

I see.
Last post by HVC - May 16, 2024, 12:25:45 PM

And endless chasing.