News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: What does a BIDEN Presiden...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 08:47:28 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 22, 2024, 06:39:41 PMThe punchline: "these are all pre-institutional- Christian meanings. In other words they fit comfortably into a 1st c Judean/Jewish context."

Uh . .. yeah.

Just total blissful unawareness of the vast literature already covering this ground.

At some point, a plagiarism complaint is going to be made. And she's not going to be able to defend against it very well.

Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Razgovory - Today at 08:29:30 AM
How fucking hard is it to drive some nerds off the grass?
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 08:28:42 AM
Ibbitsen's opinion piece in the globe today described how the budget harmed rather than helped the Liberals according to the latest polling numbers.

He ends his article saying:

A new leader doesn't guarantee a Liberal victory in the next election – far from it. But more might be saved than in an election with the current leader.

The Liberal Party was in the ditch when Justin Trudeau came to its rescue in 2013. He needs to ask himself in what state it will be if he stays.
Last post by OttoVonBismarck - Today at 07:45:19 AM
Firstly, at a philosophical level--they aren't "entitled" to anything. That isn't how the world works. People in other countries frequently have fewer rights than we do in America, and plenty of countries maintain disenfranchised portions of their population. Certainly, if Israel asserted that all the Palestinians were Israelis but with no citizenship rights, it would create diplomatic problems for Israel and alter how many viewed the country; but it would actually bring it more in line with a typical Middle Eastern country.

Secondly, I have no problem with the Palestinians becoming Israeli citizens. But that isn't a decision for me to make. I'm fine with the status quo because Israel is fighting against genocidal monsters, and they are our allies, and I have no interest in positions that attempt to force them one way or another when they are standing up for the West against Islamism--a true plague on humankind.

Frankly, I think the Palestinians should leave. They've lost too many wars and started too many wars. Make them leave. No different than the Germans we expelled from Eastern Europe. But obviously we lack the political will to push for such a thing because it would upset people.

What is important in the here and now is there is no Palestine, and when Trump is back, he'll make sure there never will be, and then we can move on.
Last post by grumbler - Today at 07:17:21 AM
If Palestine does not exist and Israel includes the West Bank, then the Palestinians living on the West Bank are entitled to Israeli citizenship.  I'm not sure that that is the outcome most Israelis want.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Josquius - Today at 07:13:48 AM
Whats the opposite of a recommendation?
Here's my youtube.... dis-recommendation.
Randomly suggested to me today was an 'audit video'. I gave it a look...and it seems to be just some smarmy git going to a random business, sneaking into its yard and just filming stuff to try and provoke security. I can see nothing suspicious about the business or anything that would warrant it being covered, its just...random.
And apparently this video isn't a one off, its a big thing with a niche of online weirdos.
Last post by Duque de Bragança - Today at 06:09:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2024, 08:10:41 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 29, 2024, 04:31:20 PMJihadi Joe Biden's

The fact that the other side calls him Genocide Joe Biden just shows how tiresome and idiotic everybody is about this conflict.

As if Joe Biden is on Hamas' side or personally shooting each dead Palestinian.

And somehow both the insane nuts on both sides have the same dumbass solution: elect Donald Trump.

I guess Otto agrees with the Hamas supporters on that at least.

Happy to disagree with both Hamas supporters and you.

So even worse than Obamadolf and Obamarx?  :hmm:
Off the Record / Re: Grand unified books thread
Last post by Gups - Today at 05:00:01 AM
the 2nd and 3rd books are better I think, though I can't remember in detail now. Characterisation is weak but that's not unusual with plot-driven novels
Gaming HQ / Re: The Miscellaneous PC & vid...
Last post by Tamas - Today at 02:57:54 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 29, 2024, 06:00:26 PMSo I've started playing Death Stranding.
I'm... Uncertain.
It seems very cool. Something about it grabs me.
The Kojima silliness - rebuild America! Forget Canada! Listen to Die Hardman! Is weird because it's together with something otherwise presenting as really serious with proper actors.
I also don't like the horror bits at all. Even gameplay wise creeping around BTs is a unfun pain.

Yeah I played through it a couple of years ago.

I think my biggest letdown was that most of the advanced kits etc you unlock to assist with the harsher terrains are ultimately not needed. You can just power through pretty much anything with very basic kit and tactics. And you are right about the horror bits, once you figure it out it's just an exercise in frustration.

Still, I did finish the story which in my case means I liked it as I have no problem abandoning games I don't like.
Gaming HQ / Re: The Miscellaneous PC & vid...
Last post by Solmyr - Today at 02:53:45 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2024, 12:24:24 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2024, 12:22:04 PMThat's cool. Thanks for the heads up - I might get it once it's done.

Yeah, having played it for hours (and hours) over the weekend.  I definitely recommend waiting until it is ready.  A lot of the features are not yet implemented.  But what is there is what passes as a full game for most developers.  My only concern is this one person developer is going to burn out before he completes his masterpiece.

I think he gets some help from subcontractors.