News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Not sure what that long stream of consciousness Josq posted was, but I remain highly skeptical Putin was meaningfully involved in any of this. Iran, yes.

And while there is a risk of escalation to involve Hezbollah, it is another jump from that to directly involving Iran--one that Iran could very likely be backed down from with a strong warning from the West. Again, not certain--the risk of this ballooning into a large general war is not zero. That means it is worth talking about and worrying about, but the trajectory for that doesn't seem to be there to me.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on October 09, 2023, 01:28:55 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 09, 2023, 01:27:01 PM"World War 2 only became that in late 1941. When Japan attacked America, and Germany declared war on the United States"

Ah yes, WW1 1917-1918.

Yeah that bit was bizare for sure
Never heard that. Far more common is knocking back the start date for the Japanese invasion of China.

Or maybe he just means what it was known As at the time? We now know it was ww2 in 1939 but did they?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 09, 2023, 01:31:32 PMYou mean that the senior leaders are about to get the martyrdom they always preached about and suddenly they have cold feet?
Israel's been assasinating senior Hamas leaders for many years. I think that's a professional risk they accept.

Agree on Putin. I think it could opportunistically get Hezbollah involved and - possibly - inspire some form of intifada on the West Bank. Which would possibly be challenging enough for the IDF. But as you say I doubt it'll extend to other states.
Let's bomb Russia!

PJL

My biggest concern re Putin / Russia is that they could use the distraction in Israel to pull a stunt against Ukraine / Moldova.

Razgovory

Israel isn't going to destroy Hamas.  Hamas will live on the hearts of every child that believe Jews are descended from pigs and apes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Just very recently Putin was busy groveling to North Korea for artillery shells. He had nothing to do with this.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2023, 01:53:58 PMIsrael isn't going to destroy Hamas.  Hamas will live on the hearts of every child that believe Jews are descended from pigs and apes.

?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 09, 2023, 02:13:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2023, 01:53:58 PMIsrael isn't going to destroy Hamas.  Hamas will live on the hearts of every child that believe Jews are descended from pigs and apes.

?

Raz and Josq were frenzying each other into more and more radical stances on either end of this earlier. It's the wind-down of that.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

I see. Not much of a wind-down considering how insane a take it is, though. Jesus Christ.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Hamilcar

Go fuck yourself.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on October 09, 2023, 01:27:01 PM"World War 2 only became that in late 1941. When Japan attacked America, and Germany declared war on the United States"

Ah yes, WW1 1917-1918.

:lol:   Uh, no.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Point of order Jews are descended from apes? (Or technically are part of the Great Ape family)

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on October 09, 2023, 01:35:27 PM

Ah yes, WW1 1917-1918.

Yeah that bit was bizare for sure
Never heard that. Far more common is knocking back the start date for the Japanese invasion of China.

Or maybe he just means what it was known As at the time? We now know it was ww2 in 1939 but did they?

The point being made was that it was not a "world war" by most standards until it spread to the Pacific.  Before that the war in Europe and the war in East Asia were separate.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 09, 2023, 01:31:32 PMYou mean that the senior leaders are about to get the martyrdom they always preached about and suddenly they have cold feet?

Should be easy for the senior Hamas leadership to make these sort of pronouncements on Al Jazeera. All they have to do is nip across the street in Doha.  :hmm: They're a pet project of Quatar.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.