News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baldur's Gate 3 announced

Started by Syt, June 06, 2019, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2023, 10:40:12 AMSure and that works better for a CRPG I guess. I just don't like that for my TTRPG games. I want my characters squishy and players terrified. I like 2nd Edition much better.

One thing more CRPG centric I have noticed is that in many ways BG3 is a step back to 2000s. We have a silent protagonist, we have more generic conversation animations. It isn't really cinematic outside of a few cutscenes. And you know what? Nobody really gives a shit. I hope other RPG studios take notice that the sacrifices to gameplay that were made to have a fully voiced protagonist and cinematic everything were wasted resources.

Players want more options, more gameplay, you can save that money for the fully voiced protagonist and the cinematic conversations.

I agree, and why I liked the Rolemaster combat system. 

Everything was potentially dangerous and so role playing was essential

Legbiter

Just hit chapter 3. I've got Jaheira in the party, has anyone found a certain ranger and his beloved rodent in Baldur's Gate?. ^_^
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Solmyr

Quote from: Legbiter on August 23, 2023, 12:51:47 PMJust hit chapter 3. I've got Jaheira in the party, has anyone found a certain ranger and his beloved rodent in Baldur's Gate?. ^_^

He's there, you have to do some questing first though.

Syt

On Steam the game sits at 250,000+ user reviews after 1 month, 95% of which positive. :o

Still making (very) slow progress. Still haven't left the Grove. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2023, 09:23:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2023, 10:40:12 AMSure and that works better for a CRPG I guess. I just don't like that for my TTRPG games. I want my characters squishy and players terrified. I like 2nd Edition much better.

One thing more CRPG centric I have noticed is that in many ways BG3 is a step back to 2000s. We have a silent protagonist, we have more generic conversation animations. It isn't really cinematic outside of a few cutscenes. And you know what? Nobody really gives a shit. I hope other RPG studios take notice that the sacrifices to gameplay that were made to have a fully voiced protagonist and cinematic everything were wasted resources.

Players want more options, more gameplay, you can save that money for the fully voiced protagonist and the cinematic conversations.

I agree, and why I liked the Rolemaster combat system. 

Everything was potentially dangerous and so role playing was essential
Chartmaster?
PDH!

crazy canuck

Yes, people who did not like a more detailed combat system did not like it.

The Minsky Moment

Let's be real though: the true draw of the system was reading the crit results.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 05, 2023, 12:15:31 PMLet's be real though: the true draw of the system was reading the crit results.

:yes:

Describing what happened was the best part of being a DM

But I also liked the phases within a round - the players could be a lot more tactical in their play. 

Legbiter

Finally finished it. Pretty comfy experience overall. Hope they tone down the horniness a notch or 3 toward the MC (Jesus, Gale is a thirsty mofo). Gonna try a Dark Urge background next. Soundtrack, voice acting and general feel all excellent. Karlach dying at the end even hit me in the feels a little.

EDIT:  whited out spoiler text - Jacob

Legbiter

That was her fate according to my dialogue choices. I did everything possible to help out with her condition as far as can be done on the Material Plane. Apparently she'll live if you play a little more attentively/romance her. Also game's been out for almost 6 weeks...

Her story conclusion in my playthrough really resonated with me because it neatly fulfilled her fate/storyarc while hitting me square in the feels wrt to a friend of mine being diagnosed with a rapidly terminal condition in his early 20's.   

EDIT: whited out spoilers - Jacob

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on September 08, 2023, 01:35:12 PMThat was her fate according to my dialogue choices. I did everything possible to help out with her condition as far as can be done on the Material Plane. Apparently she'll live if you play a little more attentively/romance her. Also game's been out for almost 6 weeks...

Her story conclusion in my playthrough really resonated with me because it neatly fulfilled her fate/storyarc while hitting me square in the feels wrt to a friend of mine being diagnosed with a rapidly terminal condition in his early 20's.   
[/quote]

Some of us don't play video games very often.  It will be months before I get out of Chapter 1 never mind the end of the game.

EDIT: whited out spoiler text - Jacob

Legbiter

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2023, 01:37:00 PMSome of us don't play video games very often.  It will be months before I get out of Chapter 1 never mind the end of the game.

:lol:

Play faster.

;)

Apparently if you bring up relocating, at least temporarily, to Avernus while you scrounge up a cure, Karlach will live.

EDIT: whited out spoiler text - Jacob

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on September 08, 2023, 01:35:12 PMAlso game's been out for almost 6 weeks...
Some of us don't play games until 2 years after release.
Some of us don't spend all day long in front of the computer playing games either. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2023, 03:04:55 PMSome of us don't play games until 2 years after release.
Some of us don't spend all day long in front of the computer playing games either. ;)

Well...if cc isn't going to finish the game except at the very end of our natural lifespans (how do you play the game anyway, do you log in, advance 10 yards, loot a carrot on the way, decide that's enough excitement for the day, log off) then maybe not ever visit this thread except once you're sure via obituaries/implied silence that all the rest of us are dead and cannot spoil one tiny piece of the whole tapestry?  :huh: