News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on December 24, 2023, 05:34:53 PMIn happy news; I've made it all the way to Christmas Eve and still haven't heard "Last Christmas" by Wham! this year.  While I may be jinxing myself, I'm just going to go ahead and declare that I've won Christmas.   :)

My fave Christmas pop song bar maybe Christmas Wrapping.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I was under the impression that Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas" had overtaken "Last Christmas" in the public's opinion as "most obnoxious Christmas song"?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on December 25, 2023, 12:40:05 AMI was under the impression that Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas" had overtaken "Last Christmas" in the public's opinion as "most obnoxious Christmas song"?

That could be, it certainly is over-played.  I wouldn't put that in my top five most hated Christmas songs, though.  (Let's see: Dogs Barking "Jingle Bells", "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas", "Last Christmas", Madonna's version of "Santa Baby", Paul McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time," and "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" so not even in the bottom six.) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

The McCartney song is like fingernails on a blackboard.

The Minsky Moment

Since I don't have Sav's patience - my favorite albums from 1973 in one go:

McCoy Tyner, Enlightenment: Tyner put out a series of great albums in the early and mid 70s; this live date is one of his best.  Lacks the supporting cast of Extensions, also released in the same year, but Tyner stands out all the more because of it.

Elvin Jones - Live at the Lighthouse: live double album from Tyner's former bandmate and Coltrane alumnus. Master class from drumming GOAT.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire: Five decades out, it's clear that jazz-rock fusion was a dead-end, and rock-and-roll itself is declining into senility.  Still the very best fusion albums stand the test of time; Mahavishnu' Inner Mounting Flame was among the very best, and Birds of Fire is the annex to it.

Dave Holland, Conference of the Birds: If you are a white 20 something from the Midlands trying to get street cred as a bass player, you can do worse than get picked by Miles Davis to feature on Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way.  Holland parlayed that cred into a long successful career as a leader, starting with this one.  Taking on two leading avant garde saxophone players, he provides six original pieces that regular humans can listen to.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Prepare Thyself to deal with a Miracle: To the extent Kirk is remembered today, it is for playing 3 reeds at once and his late career gags with Jay Leno.  The fact that he was the equal of the great sax players of his day got lost. This album is top notch late Kirk, full of joy, fun, a little weirdness, and Grade A blowing.

Donald Byrd - Blackbyrd: jazz-funk classic and last commercial success for the original Blue Note Records; now best known for inspiring Nas' NY State of Mind on Illmatic.

Charles Brackeen – Rhythm X: An Ornette Coleman album, featuring Ornette's supporting cast, but with Brackeen as leader instead of Ornette. Brackeen is no Ornette Coleman, but he can play, and more importantly, he can give his sidemen room to work, resulting in one the finest performances in Charlie Haden's long and distinguished career on the bass.

Herbie Hancock - Sextant: Hancock released two albums in 1973.  One of them, Head Hunters, became first jazz album to ever go platinum.  The other was Sextent, a commercial flop.  For my 2 cents, Sextent is the better record but YMMV.  Either way, tolerance for early 70s synth effects is required.

Pharoah Sanders Izipho Zam: like Sextent, this is easily identifiable as a product of its time, from the Swahili title to Leon Thomas' yodeling vocals, and Sanders' transitions from trancelike drones to wild honking. Billy Hart holds it together on drums.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 26, 2023, 01:53:14 AMSince I don't have Sav's patience - my favorite albums from 1973 in one go:

McCoy Tyner, Enlightenment: Tyner put out a series of great albums in the early and mid 70s; this live date is one of his best.  Lacks the supporting cast of Extensions, also released in the same year, but Tyner stands out all the more because of it.

Elvin Jones - Live at the Lighthouse: live double album from Tyner's former bandmate and Coltrane alumnus. Master class from drumming GOAT.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire: Five decades out, it's clear that jazz-rock fusion was a dead-end, and rock-and-roll itself is declining into senility.  Still the very best fusion albums stand the test of time; Mahavishnu' Inner Mounting Flame was among the very best, and Birds of Fire is the annex to it.

Dave Holland, Conference of the Birds: If you are a white 20 something from the Midlands trying to get street cred as a bass player, you can do worse than get picked by Miles Davis to feature on Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way.  Holland parlayed that cred into a long successful career as a leader, starting with this one.  Taking on two leading avant garde saxophone players, he provides six original pieces that regular humans can listen to.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Prepare Thyself to deal with a Miracle: To the extent Kirk is remembered today, it is for playing 3 reeds at once and his late career gags with Jay Leno.  The fact that he was the equal of the great sax players of his day got lost. This album is top notch late Kirk, full of joy, fun, a little weirdness, and Grade A blowing.

Donald Byrd - Blackbyrd: jazz-funk classic and last commercial success for the original Blue Note Records; now best known for inspiring Nas' NY State of Mind on Illmatic.

Charles Brackeen – Rhythm X: An Ornette Coleman album, featuring Ornette's supporting cast, but with Brackeen as leader instead of Ornette. Brackeen is no Ornette Coleman, but he can play, and more importantly, he can give his sidemen room to work, resulting in one the finest performances in Charlie Haden's long and distinguished career on the bass.

Herbie Hancock - Sextant: Hancock released two albums in 1973.  One of them, Head Hunters, became first jazz album to ever go platinum.  The other was Sextent, a commercial flop.  For my 2 cents, Sextent is the better record but YMMV.  Either way, tolerance for early 70s synth effects is required.

Pharoah Sanders Izipho Zam: like Sextent, this is easily identifiable as a product of its time, from the Swahili title to Leon Thomas' yodeling vocals, and Sanders' transitions from trancelike drones to wild honking. Billy Hart holds it together on drums.

Are you a fan of Gato Barbieri?  I'm just curious because I think his two best albums are from 1973 "Bolivia" and "Part 1, Latin America."

(Latin America has some of the best liner notes that I've seen.  They describe how he made the album with a band in some remote corner of Peru; they'd have to do things like stop production if they broke a drum head to slaughter a goat to make a new head.  One of the players said that he was an 800 year old magician; but the next day admitted he was lying and was really only 500 years old.  "Latin America" is the perfect title for that album.)

I haven't heard any of the albums on your list, I'll have to give them a go.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

I'd heard an album he did called Caliente, but not the two you mentioned.  Not sure how I ever missed Bolivia, given that it has Lonnie Smith on it and Stanley Clarke and John Abercrombie. AND Airto - is there anything from the 70s he didn't get on?  Great line up.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure (1973)

A brilliant, disturbing art-rock cacophony; this is the group's second album and the last one with Brian Eno.  The love song to a blow up doll "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" is one of a kind.  I was surprised at how much "The Bogus Man" sounded like Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" (though this was well before even the Landslide had brought down Fleetwood Mac.)  Brian Ferry credited Cole Porter as an influence to "Do the Strand," with its discordant sax solos that's quite an interpretation of Porter.  In any event I loved it; but I realize this one isn't for everybody.

Josephus

Supertramp...Crime of the Century
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (1973)

When I was a teenager I remember Dragon Magazine (:nerd:) used to have an April Fool's edition which included some of the odder letters they had received.  There was one that I remember which was really rambly and ended with "Also, why do you think there are naked babies on the cover of Led Zep Album?"  Why I don't know why Dragon Magazine would be an authority on the subject (other than they both ripped off Tolkien), I still think it's a fair question.

;)

More musically diverse than their previous work: sometimes that works the reggae influenced "D'yer Mak'er is a lot of fun; other times not so much their attempts to be James Brown and the JB's in "The Crunge" leave something to be desired.  Robert Plant's lyrics are sometimes a stretch ("This is the mystery of the quotient/Upon us all a little rain must fall"), but at least no one had a bustle in his hedgerow this time through.  Other than "The Crunge" the music is fantastic; some of Page's best work to date and the rest of the band is solid as ever.

On the subject of Robert Plant's lyrics; I once heard an interview with Ian Anderson where he addressed the feud between Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin.  He said it was his fault because, in an interview, he said something along the lines of "If you took my lyrics and Zeppelin's guitars you'd have a tight little band; thus earning Plant's enmity.  (I imagine the rest of Jethro Tull knew who they were dealing with by that point.)

Josephus

i never knew there was a feud between Zep and Tull.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2024, 06:19:43 AMi never knew there was a feud between Zep and Tull.

I hadn't heard of it before listening to the interview; so I'm not sure how long it lasted or how significant it was.  You might be interested in the interview; it's on the 1996 Special Edition of "Aqualung."  I found it on Amazon Prime Music (it's probably the other services as well.)

Syt

Trivia: what was the first (and I believe only?) a cappella song to reach #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on January 26, 2024, 11:53:35 AMTrivia: what was the first (and I believe only?) a cappella song to reach #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100?

Don't Worry be Happy by Bobby McFerrin?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould