News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Acts of Terrorism megathre...
Last post by Valmy - Today at 10:39:26 AM
Quote from: Zanza on Today at 05:23:18 AMThree Spanish tourists killed by terrorists. In Afghanistan.  :hmm:

I mean...I hate to blame the victim here...
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Tamas - Today at 10:39:06 AM
Last post by Maladict - Today at 10:37:42 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 09:40:20 AMJust why is president Xi not called president shi?
Yeah yeah, because that's the way pinyin spelling rules go.
But why?
Seems curious they went this way. In Japanese they quite happily use shi for this sound: thought Incidentally I recently read in some official uses they use a system you'd never generally see and are only just killing this other system officially. Shibuya is Sibuya in many documents.

Why wouldn't transliteration rules be different for two distinct writing systems? Going out on a limb here, but maybe X doesn't fully equate to the English sh sound?
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by HVC - Today at 10:25:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 10:22:37 AMIs every single couple shown in an advertisement mixed race these days?

No. Some are just gay :P
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 10:22:37 AM
Got bogged down in season 3 of Fargo, switched to Mr. In Between on Hulu.  Digging it.

Is every single couple shown in an advertisement mixed race these days?
Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 10:19:15 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 19, 2024, 09:53:19 AMI ran this through my gibberish-to-English translator and it still came out as gibberish.

Then either you do not posses a gibberish to English translator or what I posted was not gibberish.
Last post by Josquius - Today at 09:40:20 AM
Just why is president Xi not called president shi?
Yeah yeah, because that's the way pinyin spelling rules go.
But why?
Seems curious they went this way. In Japanese they quite happily use shi for this sound: thought Incidentally I recently read in some official uses they use a system you'd never generally see and are only just killing this other system officially. Shibuya is Sibuya in many documents.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Razgovory - Today at 08:53:16 AM
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by OttoVonBismarck - Today at 08:50:15 AM
Looks like the hateful, illegitimate Pakistani prosecutor at the ICC has fully rendered that court an irrelevant and illegitimate body by applying for an arrest warrant against Netanyahu.

The fact that this "British" guy, who based on being Pakistani and Muslim is 100% certainly a hateful antisemite, is even in this position shows a failing of the West. People like him have absolutely no business in the halls of power in Western backed organizations.
Off the Record / Re: Who will win the 2024 NBA ...
Last post by Valmy - Today at 08:34:00 AM
The Nuggets!

Oh wait...

Celtics are the best team left...for whatever that is worth.