News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by crazy canuck - May 09, 2024, 08:51:31 AM
I should add that when I first started coming to Europe it was rare to see a fat person.  That has definitely changed over the years.
Last post by crazy canuck - May 09, 2024, 08:49:42 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2024, 08:43:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2024, 08:21:35 AMI wonder if this will be the first generation when the younger men are weaker/less fit than the older generation.

Possibly, but one thing I can tell is that your (our) generation will not be the first which will NOT think the next generation is inferior.  :P

Really, in what generation do you think a man about 60 could look at a group of 30 something men and realize he is clearly stronger and in better shape?
Off the Record / Re: Dead Pool 2024
Last post by crazy canuck - May 09, 2024, 08:47:43 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2024, 04:24:24 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 17, 2024, 10:33:28 PMIt's possible.

Looking at the trial evidence as reported by the medias, it seems both had a tendency toward abuse to the other.  In the end, it was judged defamation that Depp physically mistreated Miss Heard in this trial.  In another, he lost. 

Different rules, different evidence too, I suppose?  I don't really know.

Depp strike me as human wreck, but none of his exes testified he ever was abusive toward them.  Usually, such people tend to not limit themselves to one victim.  But maybe it did happen as she said.
It wasn't Depp v Heard here, but against News Group who I think relied on truth as a defence. Heard gave a witness statement. Also libel cases are now largely heard by a civil judge (like all other civil cases) not juries on a balance of probabilities.

All of which probably had some impact. I think the gap between a successful truth defence here and, I believe, "actual malice" in the US trial is striking though.

A few corrections.  All civil trials are decided on the same evidentiary basis whether heard by jury or judge alone.  In the US and Canada Newspapers (and news outlets) don't have to establish the truth of what they are reporting.  But malice will defeat their defence.

So it's not so much as there being a gap so much as the defences are different.
Off the Record / Re: 2024 Portuguese snap Legis...
Last post by clandestino - May 09, 2024, 08:47:13 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2024, 05:48:25 AMHello stranger :)

One always returns, like a moth to the light :D

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 09, 2024, 08:25:26 AMObrigado!
Agora que o Sporting é campeão, regressas!  :D
Enfim, parabéns! :)
Espero que não tenhas muitas saudades do Pinto da Costa.  :P

A few years ago I got really detached of our national league and Sporting as well, the Bruno Carvalho years didn't help. In the meantime my football pains go with Wolves in the Premier League and less with Estrela da Amadora as my local club. Don't care about the 3 big ones anymore.

Saying that, can't say I'm that sad with PC being retired, and its attack dogs waiting trial in jail. :lol: 
Last post by Tamas - May 09, 2024, 08:43:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2024, 08:21:35 AMI wonder if this will be the first generation when the younger men are weaker/less fit than the older generation.

Possibly, but one thing I can tell is that your (our) generation will not be the first which will NOT think the next generation is inferior.  :P
Gaming HQ / Re: Baldur's Gate 3 announced
Last post by Syt - May 09, 2024, 08:29:13 AM
Also: do I quicksave too often?

:unsure:
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Duque de Bragança - May 09, 2024, 08:27:32 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 08, 2024, 04:02:53 PMFirst, xXx was a wonderful movie!

Believe it or not, compared to the Fast and the Furious, it might be. At least, xXx has Rammstein in it.  :P

QuoteMarton Csokas is a fantastic actor.

A very entertaining actor indeed, though nuanced acting might not be his forte.  :P

QuoteAnd yes, you are indeed lucky that Portugal was not featured in the travel documentary that is Eurotrip.  :blurgh:

:P

At last, we agree on something!  :lol:
Off the Record / Re: 2024 Portuguese snap Legis...
Last post by Duque de Bragança - May 09, 2024, 08:25:26 AM
Quote from: clandestino on May 09, 2024, 02:35:10 AMWhere can I apply to change last elections votes by the great wisdom of the Languish forum?

Interesting choice of photos btw  :D

Obrigado!
Agora que o Sporting é campeão, regressas!  :D
Enfim, parabéns! :)
Espero que não tenhas muitas saudades do Pinto da Costa.  :P
Last post by crazy canuck - May 09, 2024, 08:21:35 AM
Mrs. CC and I are travelling at the moment.  The local population (Sardinians) are generally fit.  A grandmother passed us walking up a steep hill...

But an interesting thing we are noticing about the Northern Europeans we see - the men in my generation have good muscle tone, but a lot of the younger guys are skinning fat.  Scrawny arms and pot bellies.  Or just plain fat fat.

I wonder if this will be the first generation when the younger men are weaker/less fit than the older generation.
Off the Record / Re: The China Thread
Last post by Zanza - May 09, 2024, 08:16:55 AM
After eight years where China was Germany's biggest trade partner, the United States is now Germany's biggest trade partner. One small factoid underscoring the geopolitical reorientation.