News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I can see a potential issue in explaining gay people to kids.
 If as a 6 year old it was seen as acceptable and I knew I could just live with another guy and do nothing but guy stuff with no smelly girls involved then I'd be all for it. I'd declare myself gay there and then.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2023, 04:33:20 PMI can see a potential issue in explaining gay people to kids.
 If as a 6 year old it was seen as acceptable and I knew I could just live with another guy and do nothing but guy stuff with no smelly girls involved then I'd be all for it. I'd declare myself gay there and then.

Sure, but how does that have anything to do with pedophelia

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2023, 05:31:39 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2023, 04:33:20 PMI can see a potential issue in explaining gay people to kids.

:blink:
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2023, 10:51:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2023, 05:31:39 PM

:blink:

That is the problem with social media. People jump into a conversation. I don't even understand the original post that is being discussed.

Zoupa

I'm as lefty as it comes, and I don't understand a certain section of the left, especially in the US but not only, organizing stuff like drag queen story hour, and then making it somehow a hill to die on.

If the guy in the drag outfit really has a passion for kids' story hour (?), he can just sign up for it. What's the need for the drag outfit? What purpose does it serve?

I don't get it.

Josquius

Quote from: Zoupa on July 16, 2023, 04:06:29 PMI'm as lefty as it comes, and I don't understand a certain section of the left, especially in the US but not only, organizing stuff like drag queen story hour, and then making it somehow a hill to die on.

If the guy in the drag outfit really has a passion for kids' story hour (?), he can just sign up for it. What's the need for the drag outfit? What purpose does it serve?

I don't get it.

It's not a political thing. It's nutty sections of the right who have decided it is and are trying to crack down on free speech.

Sign up for kids story hour... Is that a thing over there? Like anyone can sign up to read to kids?

Whats the point in drag... Whats the point in drag performances for adults? Couldn't he just do his stand up as a regular guy? It's part of the fun.

Drag queens are over the top, colourful and silly. Most kids really vibe with that.
Honestly I think drag queen story time is a pretty good idea and it's sad and crazy it has blown up as it has. It's got a catchy silly name, really appeals to kids, and you'd think it has a slight undertone of showing any adults set in their ways that gay people aren't all sex pests.

100% seriously if I found out there was an event running near me, it wasn't too expensive, and the schedule was good, we would take our son. Odds are he would absolutely love it. He's super into books and silliness.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Zoupa on July 16, 2023, 04:06:29 PMI'm as lefty as it comes, and I don't understand a certain section of the left, especially in the US but not only, organizing stuff like drag queen story hour, and then making it somehow a hill to die on.

I don't get it.

It's a very anglosphere conception of multiculturalism and liberal policies. For some reason we must accept the personal liberties of everyone. Even if they are society destroying.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I don't get it.
It's so they don't grow up hating gays.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 16, 2023, 07:51:22 PM

I don't get it.

It's a very anglosphere conception of multiculturalism and liberal policies. For some reason we must accept the personal liberties of everyone. Even if they are society destroying.

Some elements of society deserve to be destroyed.

I will admit that I don't "get" Drag Queen Story Hour, either, but I do get "don't make laws that are unnecessary virtue signaling."  That the Republicans don't care that schoolchildren are murdered, because that's better than them seeing a man in drag sickens me.  That's modern American right-wing Christianity at work. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

I don't get it.
Well, when it's in a library and parents voluntary sign up to bring their kids to it, I really don't see it's other people's business to tell them they shouldn't bring their kids there.

When it's part of a mandatory activity in school, I'm more ambivalent about it.

I'm totally against the violent hard left protests though.

I disagree with the nutty rightwingers, with if they want to express themselves peacefully, they should have the right to.

@Raz: I don't think it has anything to do with homosexuality, and there are better ways to approach the subject.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2023, 09:01:48 PM

I don't get it.
It's so they don't grow up hating gays.

Lots of people didn't have drag queen story hour growing up and don't hate gays, like you and me.

Those kids whose parents are cool with those shows have a pretty low chance to turn into gay-haters later on, I'd argue.

Jacob

What do you mean "what purpose does it serve"?

Why not just let people do what they enjoy if it doesn't harm anybody?

If someone wants to do a drag story hour, let them. And if other people want to attend it, let them. Doesn't need to serve a purpose any greater than that I don't think.

I mean, at this point it's become a target of required hate and a rallying point for the reactionary right because it serves their purpose to have a marginal group to vilify, but if it wasn't this they'd find something else to spew venom at.

Josquius

I think there might be a funny atlantic cultural gap at work here. When I was a kid I'd see a guy in drag at least 1 or 2 times a year, mostly around Christmas time. It's standard in the UK.
Nonetheless you get nuts here aping the Americans and pretending it's something new and horrid.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 17, 2023, 12:44:45 AMWhat do you mean "what purpose does it serve"?

Why not just let people do what they enjoy if it doesn't harm anybody?

If someone wants to do a drag story hour, let them. And if other people want to attend it, let them. Doesn't need to serve a purpose any greater than that I don't think.

I mean, at this point it's become a target of required hate and a rallying point for the reactionary right because it serves their purpose to have a marginal group to vilify, but if it wasn't this they'd find something else to spew venom at.

Exactly. Denounce this as the left and it'll just be on to another issue.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on July 17, 2023, 12:44:45 AMI mean, at this point it's become a target of required hate and a rallying point for the reactionary right
Not just the reactionary right.
Lots of people on the left hate it.

And lots of people on the left can't tolerate any opposition to what they like, hence the conflicts.

I don't care if some people want to bring their children to drag story time.  But you can't force everyone into accepting it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.