News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2022, 07:36:52 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 18, 2022, 02:21:52 PMOutright and verbatim are different words.

A link to anyone saying it outright would be groovy.

Or don't bother.  These meta-debates are always pretty pointless and often lead to hard feelings.  And the icing on the cake is that the substantive issue is pretty trivial.  Nothing would change if some conservative loon somewhere had said "since we're all going to be driving EVs we don't need to worry about climate change any more."

I just included the quote?
Seems I missed the link it came from in the post.
https://www-wired-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-awkward-dislike-mass-transit/amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16635287050218&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wired.com%2Fstory%2Felon-musk-awkward-dislike-mass-transit%2F

As mentioned this does seem to be a rising view. You certainly can't say outright denialism hasn't been declining.
I do think it is worth bearing in mind the sort of opposition saving the world faces.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Nobody likes mass transit per se.  They just prefer it to alternatives.

Musk's observation that mass transit is inconvenient, etc is not a denial of climate change, no matter how many people mischaracterize his comments.  There'[s a self-serving element to it, to be sure, but that, again, has nothing to do with denying climate change.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on September 18, 2022, 02:27:45 PMHowever the auto lobby is a firmly right wing thing.

Not sure what its meant by auto lobby.
If it means those political forces that support domestic auto manufacturing, then that would include the auto workers unions.  Not so firmly right wing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on September 19, 2022, 12:28:00 PMNobody likes mass transit per se.  They just prefer it to alternatives.

Sure but one of those alternatives is cars.

I'd MUCH rather take amtrak between two NE corridor cities than drive.  Can relax, get work done, and not have to deal with the highway traffic.  It's not even a close call.

True, I'm not as phobic to other human beings as Elon seems to be.  But even if I was, I'd much rather take my chances of getting shanked by a serial killer on the Acela than risk my life dealing with Jersey drivers on the Turnpike. 

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 19, 2022, 01:39:07 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 18, 2022, 02:27:45 PMHowever the auto lobby is a firmly right wing thing.

Not sure what its meant by auto lobby.
If it means those political forces that support domestic auto manufacturing, then that would include the auto workers unions.  Not so firmly right wing.

Ish. Unions for obvious reasons will often find mutual interest with the auto industry but I wouldn't really put them inherently front and centre of the auto lobby.
Even the car industry itself is on the surface a fairly weak part of it these days (though historically they take a lot of blame of course).
When I speak of the auto lobby the main component is "drivers"; or rather right wing populist types who claim to represent all drivers and oppose anything that makes driving in the slightest more inconvenient or expensive.
Maybe in the US its radically different, though this seems unlikely, all evidence I've heard (see the prager u video I posted for instance) suggests it's even more entrenched there and not even hidden. In the UK their right wing links have long been well known.
Eg
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/feb/03/transport.world
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on September 19, 2022, 12:19:49 PMI just included the quote?

That is not a quote saying "since we have EVs we don't need to do anything else about climate change."

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 19, 2022, 01:47:41 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 19, 2022, 12:28:00 PMNobody likes mass transit per se.  They just prefer it to alternatives.

I'd MUCH rather take amtrak between two NE corridor cities than drive.  Can relax, get work done, and not have to deal with the highway traffic.  It's not even a close call.

True, I'm not as phobic to other human beings as Elon seems to be.  But even if I was, I'd much rather take my chances of getting shanked by a serial killer on the Acela than risk my life dealing with Jersey drivers on the Turnpike. 

I have used the train a couple of times between Quebec city and Montreal and I quite liked it.  It's a little pricier than using my car, but I have meals and drinks included in first class.  

The real problem arise when I get there.  I have to travel between the south shore and the city center on the weekends.  That is really problematic for Montreal.  They really hate the non-islanders and want to see them as less as possible, I guess. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Look we are Americans. Barring a military dictatorship forcing us all to get rid of our cars and trucks at gunpoint, it is just not going to happen outside of very urbanized areas. So EVs is as good as most of us are probably going to do. Sorry planet earth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2022, 03:34:43 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 19, 2022, 01:47:41 PM

I have used the train a couple of times between Quebec city and Montreal and I quite liked it.  It's a little pricier than using my car, but I have meals and drinks included in first class. 

The real problem arise when I get there.  I have to travel between the south shore and the city center on the weekends.  That is really problematic for Montreal.  They really hate the non-islanders and want to see them as less as possible, I guess. ;)

Very scenic too. I've done the trip a few time from Ontario when I was younger.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

To personalize this conversation, I am picking up a new EV on Wednesday.  :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 19, 2022, 04:00:47 PMTo personalize this conversation, I am picking up a new EV on Wednesday.  :cool:

I will do this the second my hybrid stops working  :)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Once there are more sedan-type like hybrid or electric vehicles, it's likely that it will be my next car.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Dang it Joe, there was one guy that was *this close* to signing up for the program.  :mad: