News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Delivery drivers getting mugged isn't that unheard of.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

And cops are never mugged, ergo pizza delivery is much more dangerous.

garbon

If you just type into Google pretty easy to see articles with source considerations (tiktok meme linking to i think a usatoday article). I only looked briefly so I've no idea what to make of it
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

QuoteThe Thin Bread Line: Why Being a Delivery Driver is More Dangerous Than Being a Cop

A recent Tiktok has gained some traction pointing out that being a delivery driver is actually more dangerous than being a police officer. It features a Papa John's delivery driver getting ready for work, ironically steeling up for the dangers at hand.

The tiktok seems to pull statistics from this reddit post, which further pulls from this USA Today article citing statistics from 2016 Bureau of Labor reports.

These reports say that you're more likely to die on the job as a delivery driver (24.7 annual deaths per 100k workers) than as a police officer (14.6 annual deaths per 100k workers). On the USA today list of the 25 most dangerous jobs in America, working in law enforcement is only number 14. The most dangerous is logging jobs.

A lot of the reddit users on that post point out that the myths of the dangers of police work are statistically untrue. In 2018 for example, of the 687,100, working police and sheriff officers there were only 108 fatal work injuries.Meanwhile, deaths by police fire is on an upward trend year over year with deaths by police in 2018 totalling 996.

Checking the Bureau of Labor's statistics in 2019 against the statistics presented by USA Today also confirms these trends. According to the Bureau's website, of the 5,553 total workplace fatalities in America, delivery drivers made up 1,005 of them.

Furthermore, cop deaths are actually going down year over year. According to FBI statistics in 2019 there were only 89 line of duty deaths. Of these, 48 officers died as a result of felonious acts, and 41 officers died in accidents.

Why delivery drivers have such a high death rate isn't entirely clear, though it seems it can't just be chalked up to car accidents. According to a report by Vice in 2015, there is actually significant occurrences of man-on-pizzaman violence throughout the country.

There are further reports cited throughout the Vice article. For something that for many feels like a joke, anecdotally and statistically analysis unpacks a cultural misunderstanding here. Delivery is a dangerous profession.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2022, 03:40:47 AMAnd cops are never mugged, ergo pizza delivery is much more dangerous.

They typically don't have guns and do have a bit of cash on them, so a bit more attractive as a target.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I approve.

I don't live next to a busy road, but if I did...
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Which of them have more sex on the job?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

If I made a career decision solely based on personal safety, then I would choose police officer over pizza delivery guy. Especially in the US where police officers are not obliged to help people who are being killed.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2022, 06:55:57 AMIf I made a career decision solely based on personal safety, then I would choose police officer over pizza delivery guy. Especially in the US where police officers are not obliged to help people who are being killed.

Yesterday's report about the recent school shooing, said close to 400 showed up at the school, most presumably armed.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Say what you will, but at least all 400 of these cops came home to their families that night.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 18, 2022, 07:27:59 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2022, 06:55:57 AMIf I made a career decision solely based on personal safety, then I would choose police officer over pizza delivery guy. Especially in the US where police officers are not obliged to help people who are being killed.

Yesterday's report about the recent school shooing, said close to 400 showed up at the school, most presumably armed.

That's a lot of people waiting for the shooter to run out of bullets.

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on July 18, 2022, 08:17:27 AMSay what you will, but at least all 400 of these cops came home to their families that night.

Well, except the one whose wife -- a teacher at the school -- was left to bleed out.

Tonitrus

The workplace death study is nice for raw numbers, but so would think the means of death is pretty important too.  Not many loggers being directly murdered by another person.

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 20, 2022, 10:49:51 AMThe workplace death study is nice for raw numbers, but so would think the means of death is pretty important too.  Not many loggers being directly murdered by another person.

Could you lay out the reasoning for that?