Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2022, 02:36:34 PMThe trip in we went to a dimsum place that i don't know the name of but was awesome.

The trip out we went to a random noodle place that my credit card says was called kokoro tokyo mazesoba. We also went into some mall to get a smoothie at a a jugo juice which i assume is a chain (I have a personal rule that i can only drink a smoothie or anything with calories if i manage to climb 10 pitches in a day, and i got through 11 on Sunday :)).   

:cheers:

Jugo Juice is a chain, yes. So is Kokoro Tokyo Mazesoba apparently - from Japan (I just looked them up).

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2022, 02:43:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 17, 2022, 01:33:45 PMYou understand that BC removed all restrictions a number of weeks ago right?

I don't have any idea, but once everyone was vaccinated (or had the chance to be vaccinated) what was the point of all the restrictions previously?

I mean places like Japan are still not allowing routine international visitors. Covid isn't going away anytime soon, so is this it? Is Japan now closed and if we don't send the ghost of Commodore Matthew Perry it is back in isolation from the rest of the world?

Yeah Japan and China are going kind of nuts over this thing. Once we had the vaccine available to everybody I think it was time to remove restrictions, though I understand if you are in a particular hot spot it might make sense to do a few things temporarily still.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2022, 03:56:44 PMThe first time we ate at regal mansion cuisine...https://regalmansioncuisine.com/

That was really good.

That's not far from where I live. In fact, the previous restaurant there was a Vancouver insititution and was my family's go-to dimsum place before they left (I think they were subjected to a massive rent increase) - I wasn't aware that a new restaurant had opened. Maybe we'll check it out.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 17, 2022, 01:33:45 PMYou understand that BC removed all restrictions a number of weeks ago right?

I don't have any idea, but once everyone was vaccinated (or had the chance to be vaccinated) what was the point of all the restrictions previously?

Once everyone, or at least a large percentage, was vaccinated we did remove the restrictions.  You are caught in some kind of odd time shift.

Sheilbh

In terms of weird lingering covid restrictions I was just visiting a friend in Greece where all restrictions have been listed - except for the mask mandate in taxis :hmm: :huh:

It's indifferently observed.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on August 17, 2022, 04:15:51 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2022, 03:56:44 PMThe first time we ate at regal mansion cuisine...https://regalmansioncuisine.com/

That was really good.

That's not far from where I live. In fact, the previous restaurant there was a Vancouver insititution and was my family's go-to dimsum place before they left (I think they were subjected to a massive rent increase) - I wasn't aware that a new restaurant had opened. Maybe we'll check it out.

So this makes a lot of sense! My climbing partner on this trip is something of a foodie and keeps a list of his "5 star" restaurants...only like 10 are on the list. I think the previous restaurant was on there. He recently went for a return visit with his wife, but couldn't find the restauarant, and convinced her some other dim sum place he found was the restaurant with differences because what they got before was on a special menu. But then when leaving they drove past the location and she realized it was not so!

He thought where we ate was his 5 star restaurant but he was confused by differences and a bit disappointed. It makes sense if it closed and got replaced by something else.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 17, 2022, 05:35:02 PM

Once everyone, or at least a large percentage, was vaccinated we did remove the restrictions.  You are caught in some kind of odd time shift.

You just said restrictions were removed "a number of weeks ago". I assume that number is around 52?

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on August 18, 2022, 10:09:01 AM

You just said restrictions were removed "a number of weeks ago". I assume that number is around 52?

We didn't have most people fully vaccinated 52 weeks ago  :huh:

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2022, 12:21:00 PM

https://covid19tracker.ca/provincevac.html?p=BC

I mean it looks like you did. By 52 weeks ago your 70+ age groups were over 90% fully vaccinated even.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on August 18, 2022, 12:30:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2022, 12:21:00 PM

https://covid19tracker.ca/provincevac.html?p=BC

I mean it looks like you did. By 52 weeks ago your 70+ age groups were over 90% fully vaccinated even.

This might come as a surprise to you, but most of our population is not 70+

The other thing that you might not be aware of is the vaccine was not available to people under that age until later.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2022, 12:53:21 PMThis might come as a surprise to you, but most of our population is not 70+

The other thing that you might not be aware of is the vaccine was not available to people under that age until later.

That does not come as a surprise to me. As the link shows, every age group 12+ was over 50% vaccinated by this time last year...and by August of last year doses administered were plunging as the non vaccine resistant were getting fully vaccinated.

Jacob

For my part, I'm pretty comfortable believing that our public health officials did a reasonable job balancing all the different factors involved and made acceptable decisions.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on August 18, 2022, 02:13:58 PMFor my part, I'm pretty comfortable believing that our public health officials did a reasonable job balancing all the different factors involved and made acceptable decisions.
Indeed. 

In a pandemic that has seen the deaths of over 6 million people worldwide, it seems a tough argument to make that the most noteworthy errors made where all around trying too hard to contain its spread.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on August 18, 2022, 01:52:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2022, 12:53:21 PMThis might come as a surprise to you, but most of our population is not 70+

That does not come as a surprise to me. As the link shows, every age group 12+ was over 50% vaccinated by this time last year...and by August of last year doses administered were plunging as the non vaccine resistant were getting fully vaccinated.

By this time last year, nobody under the age of 70 (except indigenous communities and those with critical medical conditions) had access to their second shot. My access did not come until the end of December.  I am not sure what you are now arguing.