News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Sophie Scholl - Today at 06:53:12 AM
White cities. Schools rescinding name changes and going back to Confederate names. Yeah, America is not in good shape.

A Virginia school board voted Friday to restore the names of Confederate military leaders to a high school and an elementary school, four years after the names were removed amid nationwide protests calling for a reckoning over racial injustice.

https://apnews.com/article/virginia-confederate-school-names-26db1b3532208ef8fb1f545c1482b9ff
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Tamas - Today at 06:45:50 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2024, 10:10:18 PM
Quote from: Josquius on May 10, 2024, 02:32:55 PMMy first introduction to Jews as a thing that actually exists in the modern west and anti - semitism was South Park.
That I'm aware of I can't remember ever meeting a Jewish person before then. They just existed as some vague thing in the history books from Ww2.
I really don't think my experience in this is too unusual.
And I grew up not too far from one of the biggest heredi communities around.

I honestly had no idea hating Jews was still a thing until the Internet. And then I realized it was fucking everywhere. But that was kind of sexism and racism in general.

Me in the 1990s: Is racism and sexism really that big a deal anymore?

Me in the 2000s: Holy shit everybody is such a racist and sexist. What are we doing?

You clearly weren't living in Hungary.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Solmyr - Today at 04:59:58 AM
So I guess this elderly Jewish Professor of Jewish Studies is a hardline antisemitist Hamas supporter or something, at least according to Otto. Totally deserved to be bumrushed by police. https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/03/us/dartmouth-professor-police-protests.html

Also it's funny how Otto would "disassociate himself" from any antisemitic elements in his group when lots of Trump supporters are antisemitic white supremacists (and very fine people according to Trump).
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by garbon - Today at 03:36:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 02:17:59 AMPeople suck just fine without straws

#notallpeople
Gaming HQ / Re: News from the lovely world...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 02:25:15 AM
There are lots of examples of sponsors not just being on the sidelines.  Players wear sponsor's names, equipment is branded, fields of play are branded etc.
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 02:22:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2024, 11:09:10 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 10, 2024, 10:54:52 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 10, 2024, 10:46:57 AMThe Russians are attacking Kharkiv again. From the north, as has been hinted at for the past few weeks

As I said a page or two back and was shouted down.
Hopefully Ukraine was prepared enough for it. Opening new fronts does seem to be to Russia's advantage.
I guess/hope Russia are just doing this to try and grab all they can before Ukraine is fully rearmed rather than genuinely seeing serious opportunity for a breakthrough.

I'm not a military guy, but I'm not so sure.  Ukraine is the one defending, it's supply lines are short.  It's relatively easy for Ukraine to pull units from the south to the north.  Russia is attacking.  It's supply lines are long.  It's much further for them to move a unit from the south to the north.

Where do you think the Russians are drawing their supply?
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 02:17:59 AM
People suck just fine without straws
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Josquius - Today at 01:51:18 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 10, 2024, 09:11:55 PMWhite flight has evolved. Instead of moving, whites just split off and create a new city

New City created in Louisiana

The American definition of city continues to enrage.
When you've two substantial settlements that have grown to butt into each other fair enough. But when you've a urbanised modern area isolated from all else  then that's the same city.
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by Josquius - Today at 01:48:39 AM
I've not seen it myself but I've heard there's videos floating about of a recent Ukrainian counter attack in the East using Bradleys in desert camoflague colours - which is a big hint that the US aid is reaching the front.
Though weird the US wouldn't have painted them while they waited in Europe.
Last post by Jacob - Today at 01:37:14 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 01:13:25 AMStraws don't suck, people suck.

... and that's why they need straws.