News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

They are certainly a de facto state. Gazapologists in media droning on about how Oct 7 was "Hamas" and had nothing to do with Gaza is just gaslighting.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Jacob

I haven't been following the Israel-Palestine discourse closely recently (beyond this thread and a few headlines). The rhetoric "Gazans" and "Gazan state entity" is new to me - is that just a quirk of a few languish posters or is it a new thing in the wider public discussion?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on December 20, 2023, 07:12:52 PMI haven't been following the Israel-Palestine discourse closely recently (beyond this thread and a few headlines). The rhetoric "Gazans" and "Gazan state entity" is new to me - is that just a quirk of a few languish posters or is it a new thing in the wider public discussion?

I've not noticed it elsewhere.  Just more convenient than people living in Gaza.

Threviel

Quote from: Jacob on December 20, 2023, 07:12:52 PMI haven't been following the Israel-Palestine discourse closely recently (beyond this thread and a few headlines). The rhetoric "Gazans" and "Gazan state entity" is new to me - is that just a quirk of a few languish posters or is it a new thing in the wider public discussion?

I don't think I've seen it very much elsewhere, which is very very strange. Language matters and all that and it seems that most media chooses to use language that victimifies the Gazans and paints the Israelis baddish.

Refugee camp instead of city for example. They are called refugee camps by the Palestinians for political reasons, but they are just normal cities. Media often calls them refugee camps: "IDF has bombed a refugee camp" sounds far worse that "IDF has bombed a city", not that either sounds very good.

Hamas instead of Gaza, paints the attack and their rule as an act of a minority oppressive terrorist clique rather than state actions with very wide popular support in Gaza.

And so on and so forth. I don't really know how aware the journalists are, but in my experience they are often woefully ignorant of these kinds of things.

The Brain

It's nothing stranger than saying that Russia attacked Ukraine. Russiapologists like to make a distinction between Putin and Russia, just like Gazapologists want to paint Gaza as a passive actor.

It wasn't the NSDAP that invaded Poland, it was Germany.

Josquius

I guess it's better than saying Palestinians? Emphasises it's Hamas' little breakaway that's the problem.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on December 21, 2023, 02:15:08 AMI guess it's better than saying Palestinians? Emphasises it's Hamas' little breakaway that's the problem.

Yeah. Sweden has recognized Palestine, so from a Swedish de jure perspective it's Palestine that attacked Israel. Thankfully the government implicitly seems to accept the de facto situation, where Gaza is its own entity, as the most relevant reference frame.

Josephus

Quote from: Threviel on December 21, 2023, 12:37:13 AMAnd so on and so forth. I don't really know how aware the journalists are, but in my experience they are often woefully ignorant of these kinds of things.

Not necessarily. Most media outlets have a style that journalists, and their editors, are made to follow. So it may be, for instance, that certain media outlets say that: when referring to certain places in Gaza, make sure to use the term "refugee camp."
It's a rare publication that allows journalists to use the words they want, because, as you say, words matter.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on December 21, 2023, 06:35:02 AM
Quote from: Threviel on December 21, 2023, 12:37:13 AMAnd so on and so forth. I don't really know how aware the journalists are, but in my experience they are often woefully ignorant of these kinds of things.

Not necessarily. Most media outlets have a style that journalists, and their editors, are made to follow. So it may be, for instance, that certain media outlets say that: when referring to certain places in Gaza, make sure to use the term "refugee camp."
It's a rare publication that allows journalists to use the words they want, because, as you say, words matter.

What is happening on this forum is an interesting case study for what is happening to society generally as more and more people get their information through social media rather than real news media.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 21, 2023, 08:24:51 AM

What is happening on this forum is an interesting case study for what is happening to society generally as more and more people get their information through social media rather than real news media.

I wouldn't be too harsh on Josq and Viper though.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on December 21, 2023, 08:40:26 AM

I agree. But I think a more harsh judgement can be made for some others.

Threviel

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 21, 2023, 10:15:51 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 21, 2023, 08:40:26 AM

I agree. But I think a more harsh judgement can be made for some others.

Yes.

Admiral Yi