News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 08, 2023, 12:27:18 PMThe US is sending the Gerald Ford carrier group to "support"

It was in the Adriatic to send the Serbs a message.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

OttoVonBismarck

QuoteThe Israel Defense Forces says the Navy's Shayetet 13 unit has taken into custody the deputy commander of the southern division of the Hamas naval force in Gaza, Muhammad Abu Ghali.

"The suspect is being held and is currently being interrogated by the defense establishment," the IDF says.

No further details are given on how Abu Ghali was captured.

"Deputy Commander" of Hamas' southern naval division, I have to assume that means he's in charge of a few inflatable boats? What kind of navy does Hamas have?

Hamilcar

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 08, 2023, 02:49:03 PMWill probably be a while before we have tons of reliable reporting on the damage in Gaza (the few journalists there apparently are having trouble with reliable internet, also most of Gaza has not had power for 30+ hours.) But it seems like the bombings thus far are massive compared to anything we have seen in recent conflicts between Israel and Hamas.

Before I went to bed last night they had announced over 800 sites in Gaza had been bombed. Today 150 sites in a single neighborhood were bombed with over 100 tons of munitions. While I have only seen limited videos / photos from inside Gaza I can't imagine but that the destruction is immense.

At one point there were 160 IAF planes in the air at the same time. Incredible amount of air power.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 08, 2023, 01:39:27 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 08, 2023, 11:42:59 AMYou know Arabs are a semitic people too right?

My father was a wandering Aramean . . .

I do not think the Arabs of Gaza recognize the kinship.
Neo Hittites are too far lost in time to be recognized as such... ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

This will blot out most other news stories for weeks perhaps; the terrible Afghanistan earthquake has hardly had a mention here, Ukraine as 'gone quiet' and sadly the climate change heatwave figures are also overshadowed by the terrorist invasion.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on October 08, 2023, 11:47:03 AM
Quote from: HVC on October 08, 2023, 11:44:16 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 08, 2023, 11:42:59 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2023, 10:50:21 AMThere is no perfect response to anti-Semitic fascism.

You know Arabs are a semitic people too right?
So... Yes.

In the context you know what Semitic means. Don't play that game. It's below you.

It's Raz I'm talking to. Poking at technicalities in his picture book view of the world is just a bit of crack. :p

Plus there is a bit of a real point there - islamophobic fascists are running the show in Israel these days. Something many are keen to forget.
This is very much a shitheads on both sides situation.
That's not a technicality.  It's bullshit.  You know that.  There are some far right people in Israel's government.  But Muslims still work and live in Israel.  They have the right to vote, the right to speech and all the rights of modern democracy.  The Israeli government for all it's faults didn't just shoot political enemies in the legs and throw them off buildings.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2023, 03:33:38 PMThis will blot out most other news stories for weeks perhaps; the terrible Afghanistan earthquake has hardly had a mention here, Ukraine as 'gone quiet' and sadly the climate change heatwave figures are also overshadowed by the terrorist invasion.

Frankly I am content to not care one whit about anything that happens in Afghanistan. I can think of no people on earth who have more ardently expressed their desire to live in a shithole—I am happy to leave them to it. The idea of giving them one penny of aid is confusing to me.

mongers

Yesterday terrorist attack and the retaliation is figurately off the scale, well at least on this one:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 08, 2023, 03:41:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2023, 03:33:38 PMThis will blot out most other news stories for weeks perhaps; the terrible Afghanistan earthquake has hardly had a mention here, Ukraine as 'gone quiet' and sadly the climate change heatwave figures are also overshadowed by the terrorist invasion.

Frankly I am content to not care one whit about anything that happens in Afghanistan. I can think of no people on earth who have more ardently expressed their desire to live in a shithole—I am happy to leave them to it. The idea of giving them one penny of aid is confusing to me.
Yeah, fuck Afghanistan.  
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2023, 03:34:42 PMThat's not a technicality.  It's bullshit.  You know that.  There are some far right people in Israel's government.  But Muslims still work and live in Israel.  They have the right to vote, the right to speech and all the rights of modern democracy.  The Israeli government for all it's faults didn't just shoot political enemies in the legs and throw them off buildings.
I suggest you read more the discrimination of this minority.  

I also suggest you read about the treatment of Palestinians who need to work in Israel, or simply cross the territory to reach other parts of their fragmented reality.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 08, 2023, 03:41:47 PMI can think of no people on earth who have more ardently expressed their desire to live in a shithole
I don't remember all of the Afghanis being given a choice to stay or leave.  Nor do I remember them being given a choice to live under Taliban rule.

It's not as if the West proposed a stable model of democracy free of corruption with equality for all.  We kinda dropped the ball on this country.  Again.

Threviel

Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2023, 04:09:19 PMI also suggest you read about the treatment of Palestinians who need to work in Israel, or simply cross the territory to reach other parts of their fragmented reality.

I'm old enough to remember the constant bombings in the 90's until the walls went up. Israel is not doing all of this expensive, both in economical an political term, walling in for shits and giggles. They do it because they were, and are, constantly being targeted by Palestinian terrorists operating from Palestinian territory and keeping a very very watchful eye on Palestinian territory radically decreases Israeli deaths from terrorism.

It's not very nice, but blowing up Israeli civilians is even less nice.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2023, 03:48:37 PMYesterday terrorist attack and the retaliation is figurately off the scale, well at least on this one:

Yet from the reporting that one kidnapped German girl is worth over 6400 dead Palestinians.
The double standards are truly depressing.

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2023, 03:34:42 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 08, 2023, 11:47:03 AM
Quote from: HVC on October 08, 2023, 11:44:16 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 08, 2023, 11:42:59 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2023, 10:50:21 AMThere is no perfect response to anti-Semitic fascism.

You know Arabs are a semitic people too right?
So... Yes.

In the context you know what Semitic means. Don't play that game. It's below you.

It's Raz I'm talking to. Poking at technicalities in his picture book view of the world is just a bit of crack. :p

Plus there is a bit of a real point there - islamophobic fascists are running the show in Israel these days. Something many are keen to forget.
This is very much a shitheads on both sides situation.
That's not a technicality.  It's bullshit.  You know that.  There are some far right people in Israel's government.  But Muslims still work and live in Israel.  They have the right to vote, the right to speech and all the rights of modern democracy.  The Israeli government for all it's faults didn't just shoot political enemies in the legs and throw them off buildings.

It's not bullshit at all. It's a fact. Arabs are a semitic people.
Obviously nobody actually uses anti semitism like that. But twisting your words in jest does make them more true than you know.
It's ignorant in the extreme to pretend the entire problem and reason there isn't peace in the region lies on the Palestinian side and with Palestinian extremists (which evidently in your view is a redundant thing to say)

You really ought to read up about Palestine if you think this "there's normal people in Israel, they aren't all nazis!" is some kind of defence of their government.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on October 08, 2023, 04:18:09 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2023, 04:09:19 PMI also suggest you read about the treatment of Palestinians who need to work in Israel, or simply cross the territory to reach other parts of their fragmented reality.

I'm old enough to remember the constant bombings in the 90's until the walls went up. Israel is not doing all of this expensive, both in economical an political term, walling in for shits and giggles. They do it because they were, and are, constantly being targeted by Palestinian terrorists operating from Palestinian territory and keeping a very very watchful eye on Palestinian territory radically decreases Israeli deaths from terrorism.

It's not very nice, but blowing up Israeli civilians is even less nice.

I'm not pretending one side has the moral high ground, unlike Raz.

The Hamas is clearly a terrorist organization.  The Hezbollah and the Islami Jihad too.  I do remember the last Intifada in the 2000s.

One can't denied however that Palestinians are routinely subjected to abritrary arrests and executions.  Only those who can prove they owned their lands before 1948 - not an easy task in such an environment - can remain there when Israel decide to displace a Palestinian neighborhood to construct a new colony.

You can look at any map post 2000 and you can clearly see the Palestinian territory constantly shrinking.  You can accept the excuse of wars in the past, where Israel annexed territories from its neighbors, but you can't deny that it's constantly expanding now at the expense of the Palestinians.

If the Mexican government was building colonies of Mexicans in Texas, the GOP would want more than a wall at the southern border.

I can not excuse the suicide bombings or the hostages, but I can not condone the constant colonization of the Palestinian territories.