News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

If Ukraine was nuclear-armed, its liberals would have been falling from windows like rain for the last 30+ years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 03, 2024, 05:56:26 PMA convicted murderer (a Muslim) donated 17 dollars he worked a lot for in prison to a Gaza charity. Some director of some kind (a Muslim) shares the story,then some organisation called Gaza youth group declared that what's happening on Gaza and the US prison system is the same imperialstic project to press the downtrodden and the whole thing ultimately  ends up raising 100k in donations for the murderer.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/03/california-prisoner-donates-paycheck-to-gaza

I mean. Only seeing one side of the story here but as outlined here it sure does sound pretty shitty.
Baring in mind who the people are saying this and their weird definition of the word imperialist to mean "Bad shit the west, especially America, does" it doesn't sound particularly extreme.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

UN Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict says reasonable grounds to believe rape occurred on October 7.

What a job title.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2024, 04:20:42 AMIn puerile actions

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/palestine-protest-cambridge-university-israel-b2509505.html

Kinda' hard to deny that these concerned humanitarians are against the existence of Israel when they take their humanitarian concerns out on a guy who promised Israel would be created.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 09, 2024, 06:56:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2024, 04:20:42 AMIn puerile actions

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/palestine-protest-cambridge-university-israel-b2509505.html

Kinda' hard to deny that these concerned humanitarians are against the existence of Israel when they take their humanitarian concerns out on a guy who promised Israel would be created.

Yeah indeed. While legitimate to have greivances against Balfour, in the current context, it does bear resemblance to the chants about wanting a one state solution ruled by Palestine.

Beyond that, I think it distracts from the Palestinian cause rather than promote it. Allows an easy shifting of the discussion to cultural objects. Is violence to paintings that act as monuments to 'great men' a legitimate target or should they be inviolable? Do such physically destructive protests make people think about the cause with which they hope to draw attention or rather debate these same questions I'm now mentioning rhetorically. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2024, 07:19:52 AMit does bear resemblance to the chants about wanting a one state solution ruled by Palestine.
As opposed to wanting a one state solution ruled by Israel?

QuoteDo such physically destructive protests make people think about the cause with which they hope to draw attention
You'd have to ask the climate change and environmentalist people.  Did it work?  Germany stopped using nuclear power in the end, but I'm note sure there's a direct cause-to-effect scenario involved.  I'd bet on something else ;)

Still, Greenpeace coup d'éclat and vandalism were quite common in the 80s and 90s.  The came the more recent vandalism against art pieces by other group of climate protesters following in their footsteps.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on March 09, 2024, 08:40:14 PMAs opposed to wanting a one state solution ruled by Israel?

I'm unaware of those chants but not sure how relevant.

Quote from: viper37 on March 09, 2024, 08:40:14 PMYou'd have to ask the climate change and environmentalist people.  Did it work?  Germany stopped using nuclear power in the end, but I'm note sure there's a direct cause-to-effect scenario involved.  I'd bet on something else ;)

Still, Greenpeace coup d'éclat and vandalism were quite common in the 80s and 90s.  The came the more recent vandalism against art pieces by other group of climate protesters following in their footsteps.

I think those are pretty ridiculous too. 'I threw soup at the Mona Lisa for climate change' ... okay?

Zanza

Quote from: viper37 on March 09, 2024, 08:40:14 PMYou'd have to ask the climate change and environmentalist people.  Did it work?  Germany stopped using nuclear power in the end, but I'm note sure there's a direct cause-to-effect scenario involved.  I'd bet on something else ;)
I am not aware that the German anti-nuclear movement destroyed paintings or statues. Care to enlighten us here what you refer to?

Josquius

I'm really curious about these one state chants. I've never heard of them.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on March 10, 2024, 09:04:07 AMI'm really curious about these one state chants. I've never heard of them.

This Jerusalem Post article has some background on the Palestinian use of the chant/slogan as well as Jewish-American attempts to trademark the phrase.

I'm quite surprised that you've never heard of this.  It appears almost everywhere you see pro-Palestinian demonstrations.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on March 10, 2024, 11:18:51 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 10, 2024, 09:04:07 AMI'm really curious about these one state chants. I've never heard of them.

This Jerusalem Post article has some background on the Palestinian use of the chant/slogan as well as Jewish-American attempts to trademark the phrase.

I'm quite surprised that you've never heard of this.  It appears almost everywhere you see pro-Palestinian demonstrations.

I've certainly heard from the river to the sea Palestine will be free.
Is that all that is being referred to with chants (seemed to imply more than one) calling for a Palestine ruled one state solution? (it doesn't)
As that seems very off.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2024, 04:59:49 AMI think those are pretty ridiculous too. 'I threw soup at the Mona Lisa for climate change' ... okay?
Exactly.  They are ridiculous.  But you won't ascribe them to entire effort to fight back against climate change, where as here, you seem to equate this act of vandalism to the entire Palestinian cause.

Destroying a painting of one of Israel's founders = All Palestinians are antisemites.

Throwing soup of Mona Lisa to raise awareness about climate change = one idiot.

Hmm.  Okay?

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on March 10, 2024, 08:32:10 AM
I am not aware that the German anti-nuclear movement destroyed paintings or statues. Care to enlighten us here what you refer to?

There was a few vandalism of paintings by some freaks.

There were anti nuclear protests following Fukushima, which led to the closure of most of Germany's nuclear plants, which is what I'm refering too.

I'm mostly talking about Greenpeace environmental protests of all kinds all throughout the 80s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-terrorism