News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Threviel

Quote from: Josquius on November 30, 2023, 10:00:30 AMSweden isn't the UK and all that. But should be noted "Lefties afraid of upsetting muslim voters that they rely on" is a common dog whistle from the far right in the UK.
Quickly checking up I get total numbers of Muslims in Sweden as between 200,000 and 800,000 so not too different in terms of total percentage to here.

Yeah, you're right. Numbers seem iffy, but in my defense I said I hadn't found proof. I'll see if I can find some proper numbers.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2023, 03:53:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2023, 03:46:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2023, 01:45:58 PMEspecially since we have so many goofy religious cults in the US. Having to treat all of them with inherent respect would be a lot to ask.

All people who are X religion are evil.

If that is allowed in the US, you might want to rethink that.

It is allowed. You may have noticed but we allow all kinds of pretty gross opinions down here.

But I was speaking solely from an ethical point of view. I think it is fine to criticize religions, because as I said we have so many ridiculous religions it would be quite challenging not to, but you shouldn't go after the members of those religions. Not generally anyway.

I am aware the US allows what would be considered hate speech elsewhere.  I simply note you might want to consider the wisdom of that.

But more than to the point it is contrary to our human rights code, both federal and provincial.

It just gets treated as trolling in this space and that is what makes me think about the wisdom of continuing to be a member of this community.

FunkMonk

We need someone new to join Languish who says jews are pernicious and evil to even things out imo
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Again just me hurr-durring but why do I have to go to Hungarian news reports and cannot see it on the Guardian's live feed that while the IDF resumed heavy bombings yes, Hamas fired in the same time period 50 rockets at southern Israel? They don't have to write the two are the same thing or scale but wouldn't it warrant a mention .

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on December 01, 2023, 01:46:29 PMAgain just me hurr-durring but why do I have to go to Hungarian news reports and cannot see it on the Guardian's live feed that while the IDF resumed heavy bombings yes, Hamas fired in the same time period 50 rockets at southern Israel? They don't have to write the two are the same thing or scale but wouldn't it warrant a mention .

You're not the only one to notice that.  I saw a bunch of complaints on Twitter about headlines that make no reference to Hamas doing anything and only mentioning that Israel has resumed it's campaign.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2023, 01:48:02 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 01, 2023, 01:46:29 PMAgain just me hurr-durring but why do I have to go to Hungarian news reports and cannot see it on the Guardian's live feed that while the IDF resumed heavy bombings yes, Hamas fired in the same time period 50 rockets at southern Israel? They don't have to write the two are the same thing or scale but wouldn't it warrant a mention .

You're not the only one to notice that.  I saw a bunch of complaints on Twitter about headlines that make no reference to Hamas doing anything and only mentioning that Israel has resumed it's campaign.

But it is lovely to see on the news feed first that Erdogan at COP28, then the United Auto Workers of the US both called for a ceasefire. What a team. Gotta' admit anyone but the Jews would struggle to have such coalitions built.

Crazy_Ivan80

the media has bias and an agenda. That goes for all media, it's one of the reasons you shouldn't trust them out of the box.

PJL

Maybe it's because the Guardian news feed is rubbish? The BBC were reporting that Hamas were firing rockets at Israel this morning.

Jacob

The coverage I saw mentioned that both Israel and Hamas have commenced operations.

Josquius

I get your point.
But I'd guess this is because Hamas ineffectually shooting rockets at Israel is hardly news, whilst Israel gearing up for a big new offensive to smash the other half of Gaza is?

Looking at things from the other side you don't see too much reporting of the increased Israeli expansion in the west bank or various other bits of day to day shit thrown the Palestinians way.
It's bad but....its no longer news in the way say Italy suddenly firing a rocket at Slovenia would be.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on December 01, 2023, 06:36:29 PMI get your point.
But I'd guess this is because Hamas ineffectually shooting rockets at Israel is hardly news, whilst Israel gearing up for a big new offensive to smash the other half of Gaza is?

It's obviously news.

"One side commence fighting after the ceasefire expires" is a very different kind of news than "both sides commence fighting after the ceasefire expires."

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2023, 06:39:42 PM
Quote from: Josquius on December 01, 2023, 06:36:29 PMI get your point.

It's obviously news.

"One side commence fighting after the ceasefire expires" is a very different kind of news than "both sides commence fighting after the ceasefire expires."

Hamas has been launching rockets at Israel for basically  as long as they've been a thing.
Knowledge many might not be aware of, but a fact nonetheless.
It's part of the general back ground of shit in the whole situation dating back long before October
Israels invasion of Gaza is something altogether new and different.

Besides. Even if you do just read the headline of Israel attacking I do think it's implied Hamas would be shooting back. And considering Hamas hasn't managed to kill anyone whilst Israel has killed over 100...the Israeli strikes definitely deserve to dominate the news feed.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on December 01, 2023, 06:50:54 PMBesides. Even if you do just read the headline of Israel attacking I do think it's implied Hamas would be shooting back. And considering Hamas hasn't managed to kill anyone whilst Israel has killed over 100...the Israeli strikes definitely deserve to dominate the news feed.

Do we know this is true?  That Israel attacked first and Hamas responded?