News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 31, 2023, 01:25:00 PMStars of David were painted on more than a few dozen buildings in the 13th, 14th, 15th and 18th arrondissement in Paris.
Not dissimilar to the sign for Christian that ISIS painted on buildings in Syria and Iraq.
There are also European precedents for marking businesses and homes occupied by Jews.

The horror here is not the novelty but the echo.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 31, 2023, 01:26:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2023, 01:24:01 PMI think the security decision HAS to be outsourced. I said back in 2006 that some kind of third party had to step in and disarm Hamas and provide security for Gaza and enable a functional government to be able to be established. 

There's no 3rd party interested in having its people be decapited ruling over that bunch until they're ready to properly rule themselves.

I know. You would have to be crazy to do something like that. Not even Egypt or Jordan wanted to govern Gaza and the West Bank. Can you imagine a few thousand in an international peacekeeping brigade trying to do it?

But it is the only way out. Palestine needs a force to guarantee their security and disarm their nutters. Israel cannot do it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 31, 2023, 01:28:04 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 31, 2023, 01:25:00 PMStars of David were painted on more than a few dozen buildings in the 13th, 14th, 15th and 18th arrondissement in Paris.
Not dissimilar to the sign for Christian that ISIS painted on buildings in Syria and Iraq.
There are also European precedents for marking businesses and homes occupied by Jews.

The horror here is not the novelty but the echo.

sure, but we all know from which corner it's coming now.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2023, 01:33:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2023, 01:24:01 PMI think the security decision HAS to be outsourced. I said back in 2006 that some kind of third party had to step in and disarm Hamas and provide security for Gaza and enable a functional government to be able to be established. 

There's no 3rd party interested in having its people be decapited ruling over that bunch until they're ready to properly rule themselves.

I know. You would have to be crazy to do something like that. Not even Egypt or Jordan wanted to govern Gaza and the West Bank. Can you imagine a few thousand in an international peacekeeping brigade trying to do it?

But it is the only way out. Palestine needs a force to guarantee their security and disarm their nutters. Israel cannot do it.

Timur might be able to, but he's dead

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 31, 2023, 01:46:00 PMsure, but we all know from which corner it's coming now.
Perhaps in this case and it may even be likely. Although I don't think that's the only source of anti-semitism in Europe. But if we're talking about anti-semitism in Europe I think the resonance and particular pain is because of European history. In the clip of a French Jewish woman crying about this happening to her home, she said "again I find the hatred I saw as a child." I think there needs to be a bit more reckoning.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PJL

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2023, 02:44:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2023, 12:48:55 PMThe Germans made peace.
The Germans were offered peace.

It was unconditional surrender in WW2 - no peace terms given.

Valmy

They were dictated peace. There was no offer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Israel has made sure Gaza can't be governed, and as it is, the WB can't be either.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2023, 03:17:41 PM

They were dictated peace. There was no offer.
Same difference.  German officers sought terms, they were offered unconditional surrender.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2023, 03:38:17 PM

Israel has made sure Gaza can't be governed, and as it is, the WB can't be either.

Yes I know. As I said, Israel has done much to make the situation as bad as possible.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2023, 03:45:10 PMSame difference.  German officers sought terms, they were offered unconditional surrender.

And the Palestinians have been offered many deals, shitty ones but still deals, they just haven't accepted them.

Still better than unconditional surrender.

crazy canuck

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/31/opinion/ezra-klein-podcast-zack-beauchamp.html

"So I wanted to start with something you wrote, which is that "Two things are true. Israel must do something, and what it's doing now is indefensible." And I want to take them in turn."

The latest podcast from Ezra Klein

I strongly recommend it to those of you who take the view that shit happens in war, and so all the killing in Gaza is regrettable, but understandable.

OttoVonBismarck

Dude stop posting podcast links. I'm not listening to some imbecile's hour long podcast to hear the same rehashed arguments you have made. Civilians die in war, there is no meaningful evidence the IDF is systemically violating the laws of war. All the podcast links in the world don't change that, the podcast doesn't have meaningful information we can't get from all the reading we've already done on this.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2023, 12:05:19 PMThey sure ain't targeting only Hamas sites though.

I would think that Israeli targeting data would be pretty highly classified, so you can understand my skepticism to you claim to know what Israel is targeting and that some targets are not associated with Hamas.

QuoteAnd they've admitted they don't make any distinction between a civilian and a Hamas supporter.

Source?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!