Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Free will can't work as a complete explanation in any event because it can't explain why God permits natural disasters and catastrophes.  The only philosophically workable move IMO is Leibniz, but that has not proved to be very popular.  More people are familiar with Candide than the Theodicy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

If this is the best a perfect god can do then I want a refund on my monad.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 08:30:03 AMThe ball is yours if you want to take a shot.

What Beeb said.  Though family and friends may be feeling great grief, they should be comforted by the knowledge the victims are in a better place now.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2022, 02:13:00 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 08:30:03 AMThe ball is yours if you want to take a shot.

What Beeb said.  Though family and friends may be feeling great grief, they should be comforted by the knowledge the victims are in a better place now.

But that was not addressed to family and friends.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: PDH on June 02, 2022, 01:47:04 PMIf this is the best a perfect god can do then I want a refund on my monad.

The 20th century sure didn't do Leibniz's argument any favors.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 02:19:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2022, 02:13:00 PM

But that was not addressed to family and friends.

I think the feeling of grief and sorrow was felt by far more than the family and friends of those kids...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2022, 02:21:25 PMI think the feeling of grief and sorrow was felt by far more than the family and friends of those kids...

Agreed but that's my point.
It's OK to minimize reality to comfort family because that loss is too great to bear.
The rest of us don't have that excuse.  It's just moral cowardice.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 02:19:51 PMBut that was not addressed to family and friends.

It wasn't addressed to anyone.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 02:23:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2022, 02:21:25 PMI think the feeling of grief and sorrow was felt by far more than the family and friends of those kids...

Agreed but that's my point.
It's OK to minimize reality to comfort family because that loss is too great to bear.

Belief in the afterlife in the face of tragedy is "moral cowardice"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 02:23:58 PMAgreed but that's my point.

Sure, your argument is that heaven doesn't exist and therefore the writing is a lie, etc.  But that is not "the best possible spin."  The best possible spin has to include God and Heaven actually existing.

Josquius

It is a disturbing path of thinking. Cultish really.
Assuming gods and heaven exist, it seems to be  calling for killing kids ASAP so they get to go there.
That we've no proof they actually exist is just a little cherry on top of a already disturbing line of thought
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2022, 02:28:24 PMSure, your argument is that heaven doesn't exist and therefore the writing is a lie, etc. 

No I assume for the sake of argument ('best case') that heaven exists.  It is still perverse to react to this horrific tragedy by celebrating the "storming" of heaven by the victims. 
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 03:02:10 PMIt is still perverse to react to this horrific tragedy by celebrating the "storming" of heaven by the victims. 

IMO my spin cribbed from Beeb was much more positive than this, so I would have to say I've made my case that yours is not the best possible spin.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2022, 03:13:01 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 03:02:10 PMIt is still perverse to react to this horrific tragedy by celebrating the "storming" of heaven by the victims. 

IMO my spin cribbed from Beeb was much more positive than this, so I would have to say I've made my case that yours is not the best possible spin.

I'll concede the point: "mawkish drivel" is a more positive spin than moral cowardice.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on June 02, 2022, 01:47:04 PMIf this is the best a perfect god can do then I want a refund on my monad.

"Some would ask, how could a perfect God create a universe filled with so much that is evil. They have missed a greater conundrum: why would a perfect God create a universe at all?"