Mad Max open world game coming in 2014, err, 2015

Started by Syt, June 11, 2013, 12:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Other concern for me is that scenery will be a bit dull vs. say GTA4 or 5's setting,
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Well, it's the wasteland, much like in the Fallout series. :P

But while the color palette is pretty much a given, it depends on how you differentiate - dunes vs. rock, canyons vs. plains, landmarks and eye candy ... I think you can still make it diverse enough.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2015, 02:51:03 AM
Well, it's the wasteland, much like in the Fallout series. :P

But while the color palette is pretty much a given, it depends on how you differentiate - dunes vs. rock, canyons vs. plains, landmarks and eye candy ... I think you can still make it diverse enough.

Borderlands is pretty much Mad Max with lasers and is visually attractive enough, so it can be done.

Syt

I thought Rage was also pretty decent in that regard.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Greenman gaming is running a 40% off pre-order
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Yeah, IGN was also offering a big discount. Also, there's a review embargo in place.

Which could mean several things:

Pessimistic: No reviews because it's a turd on PC (the streams I've seen showed only PS4 version). Massive discounts from code sellers that don't have Steam's refund policy.

Optimistic: No reviews don't mean anything - Shadow of Mordor had a review embargo and it was fine. And pre-orders might be down after the Arkham Knight debacle, so now they offer discounts to get the numbers up a bit, hoping to create positive word of mouth once the game is released.

Or something in between or a combination of the above.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Currently 98% positive reviews on Steam out of 270+.

I shall try it tonight. :blush:

Another possible reason for the cheap offers on pre-orders might have been that MGS5 comes out today, too, and the interwebs have been emptying their collective ball sacks over that one for quite a while now. I haven't played any Metal Gear game, so I've not followed it at all.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Looks like many professional review sites have given it not so good PS4 reviews.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on September 01, 2015, 01:10:22 AM
the interwebs have been emptying their collective ball sacks over that one for quite a while now. I haven't played any Metal Gear game, so I've not followed it at all.
Same.  Are the MGS games any good, anyone?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Yes but they are damn hard to play. And you don't get to save when you want.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I've played the first hour yesterday (so I'm basically still in the tutorial phase). You find some water, meet Chumbucket, a gifted mechanic who thinks you're a saint to bring into being the ultimate combat car. You do some melee fighting, learn the controls, and have your first run in with the Buzzards (the guys with the spiky cars in Fury Road) from whom you steal a body for your Magnum Opus (that's your car). I went with the Enforcer type body, though there's 5 or 6 you can choose from, from muscle car to something like 70s Corvette or Stingray and hot rod.

Game runs very smooth on very high settings on my GTX 770 @60FPS. They've gone for a slightly stylized look, which I think is fine for the setting. Terrain texture quality in close up is sometimes not so good, but I don't mind that. Melee combat is very much inspired by Arkham or Shadow of Mordor, but it feels slightly clumsier; though I don't know if that's down to the control, me having to learn the controls, or my character being an unleveled newbie. Similar goes for the car controls. I guess I shouldn't expect perfect traction on desert paths, but I have a feeling that it'll improve once I start upgrading my car.

The tutorial missions are occasionally a bit vague, telling you to do something, but not the button prompt for it, so I spent a fair amount of time looking at the controller layout in the options screen.

I think they get the tone of the game quite right. The intro cinematic was ... interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QAbgNx3mrg
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Read a review of this game yesterday that was pretty scathing.  Forget what site... it came up on my phone on Google Now.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points