News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Conrad Black: Canada has come a long way

Started by PRC, June 08, 2013, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on June 09, 2013, 05:47:35 PM
I thought he was Canada's greatest export?

In the sense that Canadians were greatly pleased when he left.

He "left" a long time ago when he accepted the title of "Lord" in England.  The government of the day showed a bit of a mean streak by not allowing him to retain his Canadian citizenship (something which would normally be considered uncontraversial).  This became an issue in his attempt to return to this country.

He is a man that many love to hate.  But he is also a man who gets a lot of attention.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2013, 12:12:36 PMHe is a man that many love to hate.  But he is also a man who gets a lot of attention.

Is he still relevant these days?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on June 10, 2013, 01:46:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2013, 12:12:36 PMHe is a man that many love to hate.  But he is also a man who gets a lot of attention.

He has a dedicated thread on languish.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2013, 01:47:32 PM

Not that many posts though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2013, 01:48:04 PM

You read it.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2013, 01:51:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2013, 01:48:04 PM

You read it.

I also read and created the thread about the Texas actress mailing ricin letters (30 posts as of now). Not sure I'd call her relevant in the way that Jake is suggesting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

:lol:

I meant, does he still have significant media holdings, is he politically active, or does he have a position of direct influence somewhere? Or is he relying primarily on name recognition?

I never got into the Conrad Black hate back in the day, I'm just wondering what he's up to these days - beyond writing the occasional article.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on June 10, 2013, 01:54:40 PM

:lol:

I meant, does he still have significant media holdings, is he politically active, or does he have a position of direct influence somewhere? Or is he relying primarily on name recognition?

I never got into the Conrad Black hate back in the day, I'm just wondering what he's up to these days - beyond writing the occasional article.

He is now an author and he writes opinion pieces from time to time.  Such as this one.

I dont think he has any media holdings but I am not sure about what he may have acquired since his legal troubles ended.

Jacob

He did a biography on Napoleon or some such, if I recall correctly?

Have you read any of his stuff? Is it any good?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 10, 2013, 02:03:42 PM
He did a biography on Napoleon or some such, if I recall correctly?

Have you read any of his stuff? Is it any good?

I don't know about Napoleon, but he did write a huge tome on FDR.  It was well received, but I did not read it.

I don't think he has any media holdings.  I find his opinion pieces interesting, though I don't always agree with his conclusions.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Apparently he wrote a rehabilatory biography of Nixon, which should endear him to Neil.

Did this TV show ever materialize? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/canada/9835903/Conrad-Black-to-host-talkshow-on-Canadian-TV.html