Former CIA and NSA employee source of intelligence leaks

Started by merithyn, June 09, 2013, 08:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Yeah, Bluebook, based on what I'm reading that's not how it operates.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2013, 12:25:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2013, 12:21:57 PM
What information exactly do they now know that they did not before?

The same information you didnt know before. :huh:

That the government was watching them?  Pretty sure both me and the terrorists were aware of that, unless they are the biggest idiots in the history of the universe.  That is why they tend to not use the internet and so forth.

QuoteI do not trust our system of checks and balances, and indeed it is my responsibility to not do so.

Yeah, you need guns to feed blood to the God of Liberty or some such nonsense.

I am not even sure what you are recomending here.  I think this policy is going way beyond what I think the government should be able to do and is unconstitutional.  The very fact the judiciary allows such a huge violation is evidence the checks and balances are not working and I hope political action, and yes judicial action, will now follow to correct the abuses.  Besides it is not like the US government has a spotless track record here.

Ultimately the real check on the US government is the people, we are supposed to be sovereign.  Not sure what that has to do with guns and I thought this was the position we are supposed to take to what we consider abuses.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The information on Prism is vague so I suppose some paranoia is explicable.
However, as best as understand it, it appears to be some kind of platform such that if law enforcement obtains a particular authorization to search, it can run a single query or set of queries on multiple data sources simultaneously, rather than running a bunch of separate ones and trying to piece them together.
it doesn't mean there is some Yank Stasi reading everyone's email.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2013, 01:06:43 PM
That the government was watching them?  Pretty sure both me and the terrorists were aware of that, unless they are the biggest idiots in the history of the universe.  That is why they tend to not use the internet and so forth.

But they have to use some communications network and that explains why these kinds of programs might be useful.
The example I say today in an FT op-ed involved a piece of intelligence where law enforcement knows that Bad Guy A in the US is going to call Bad Guy B in Yemen at a particular time, but both Bad Guys - being savvy - are using prepaid phones.  Using standard tapping techniques, law enforcement is out of luck because they don't know what phones are going to be used.  But with the call metadata, they can get a list of every call made from the US to Yemen at that exact time and date, and then use computerized algorithms to narrow down the likely candidates and pinpoint a likely location for Bad Guy A. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

I think argument of the form that this doesn't work anyway are, well, stupid.

The NSA isn't spending billions on these systems because they don't think they work.

And more to the point, whether it works or not is only part of the question.

Randomly searching peoples homes without warrants would almost certainly result in more crimes being solved. That doesn't make it a good idea.

Just because the technology makes it possible doesn't mean that it is allowable.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 11, 2013, 01:14:26 PM
But they have to use some communications network and that explains why these kinds of programs might be useful.

Well obviously it has nothing to do with usefullness.  I mean I presume the NSA has a system that is very useful.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

I hope the other 35 or so slides he provided to the Guardian and WP will be published eventually. They are supposed to be more explosive than the initial five or six slides they published.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2013, 11:13:28 AM
How is having all this information easily available possibly be bad except for the whole freedom and privacy thing?  This only hurts my interests as a private citizen, it seems to greatly increase the power and effectiveness of the US.

I agree that it is bad from a freedom and privacy thing.

But what increases the "power and effectiveness of the US" is almost a philosophical argument...I would argue that ultimately the US is most effective when it provides quality employment for its citizens and positively impacts world culture and technology. I have doubts that obtaining access to massive amounts of private data in order to deter terrorism has much positive impact. But I suspect that over the long term it will be an impediment to US companies that are right now dominant in the IT sector.

QuoteUnless you are suggesting he is lying I am not sure how this is relevent?  Are we not supposed to take these things seriously until some sort of platonic angelic figure whistleblows?

For all I know he is some sort of platonic angelic figure whistleblower.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".